Jump to content
ianinthefuture

Wireframe - a new gaming magazine (yes, on real paper)

Recommended Posts

Mine came today not had a chance to look yet but was very impressed with foil block on a free mag, we very rarely get to do that even on the BBC mags we make. 

 

 

IMG_20181110_093824.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine arrived yesterday too, and it felt rather good to hold a physical games magazine after all this time. I'm not sure it's going to be my cup of tea after looking through some of the more technical looking development articles, but I'll certainly give it a go and see if it proves me wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My free copy arrived today. I've only read Jessica Price's and Gris pieces and had a quick flick through the rest but it seems really good. I really like that there is some game design stuff in there.

 

I noticed it mentions a digital subscription but I can't seem to find it on Google. Is it just slow appearing on there or am I missing something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was going to spend the evening playing with the Python code for Defenders explosions but the link to the instructions (for installing Pygames Zero I assume) goes to a coming soon splash page :(

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 13:47, chamberlago said:

I noticed it mentions a digital subscription but I can't seem to find it on Google. Is it just slow appearing on there or am I missing something? 

 

Check the subs page - you can sign up to be notified for each new issue, or you can just pop onto the site when a new issue is out and download it at your leisure.

 

On 10/11/2018 at 18:54, wev said:

Was going to spend the evening playing with the Python code for Defenders explosions but the link to the instructions (for installing Pygames Zero I assume) goes to a coming soon splash page :(

 

I get the full page of instructions? This one: https://pygame-zero.readthedocs.io/en/stable/index.html

 

And the code is here: https://github.com/Wireframe-Magazine/Wireframe-1

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got mine, it's a bit dry in places and feels in places like it's trying to emulate the Edge style of writing, that isn't to say it feels like a pastiche or is badly written but it just needs to develop its own character. The development sections seem a bit off, maybe it'll find its feet after a few issues.

 

I wasn't 100% sold but have gone for the 12 copies for £12 offer because it's worth the risk. Good luck to all involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cubik said:

I wasn't 100% sold but have gone for the 12 copies for £12 offer because it's worth the risk. Good luck to all involved.

 

Is the 12 weeks for £12 offer in the mag not for 6 issues? Or are you talking about a different offer? On the inside cover it says 12 weeks for £12, then has a website link to a 12 issue offer but under that there’s a “*6 issue introductory offer” in small writing.

 

It’s a fortnightly magazine but the way it was formatted felt a little misleading to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ianos said:

 

Check the subs page - you can sign up to be notified for each new issue, or you can just pop onto the site when a new issue is out and download it at your leisure.

 

 

I get the full page of instructions? This one: https://pygame-zero.readthedocs.io/en/stable/index.html

 

And the code is here: https://github.com/Wireframe-Magazine/Wireframe-1

 

I followed wfmag.cc/XVlleD which took me to this when i tried last nightScreenshot_20181111-205742.thumb.jpg.15d37a8b90dd9f798eb6153909e0d445.jpg

 

Tried again today, occured to me that "l" may not have been a lower case L so typed upper case "i" and it worked so my bad, I think :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

 

Is the 12 weeks for £12 offer in the mag not for 6 issues? Or are you talking about a different offer? On the inside cover it says 12 weeks for £12, then has a website link to a 12 issue offer but under that there’s a “*6 issue introductory offer” in small writing.

 

It’s a fortnightly magazine but the way it was formatted felt a little misleading to me.

I used the code printed on the address label that came with the mag and it definitely states "12 issues for £12!"

 

I did see the 12 weeks for £12 offer somewhere else, but this isn't it. When I log in to manage my account it now says:

Wireframe magazine 12 issue VIP offer Auto renew - UK

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this, particularly the slightly idiosyncratic choices of things to review/preview and the focus on the development side. A Kim Justice article about U.K. game dev? That’ll do nicely.

 

I agree that some of the pieces could do with more personality or be written more tightly but I’m on board with the premise. Looking forward to the next 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not bad, very good in places. But that Kim Justice UK game dev piece isn’t very good. Tries too hard to do too much in too little space. Comes across like an edited wiki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it all looks good and there are some interesting features.

 

I'm a bit confused about what it's trying to be though, and that's a lot to do with that opening editorial about 'real criticism'. After reading that I was expecting something very different, much more in the vein of a literary criticism style approach to games (themes, meaning, philosophy, ideology, social relevance etc.). Instead it's about the craft of game making, the history of games and the usual previews and reviews (which, as with any other publication, just tell you whether the games are good or bad). What I've not seen - admittedly after a quick skim through - is much of that criticism mentioned at the start. I've even looked at the submissions guidelines for writers, and again it seems very focused on the technical aspects of game development or studio profiles and interviews. No mention of criticism. The little 'welcome' column in the contents page doesn't mention it either, and says the goal of the magazine is to discuss the making of games and who makes them, which certainly seems more accurate.

 

So, is that something the magazine is really interested in, or is it just a misleading editorial?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it’s literally the first thing in there, I think it’s just going to be a space for an editorial each issue and not something like Edge’s opening editor’s note. There’s a proper introduction to the issue and what the magazine is about in the contents page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Nobody has posted the review scores yet?

 

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 93%

8-Bit Armies - 68%

Catastronauts - 82%

No Man's Sky Next (Update Review no score)

Timespinner - 72%

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - 55%

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

 

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 93%

8-Bit Armies - 68%

Catastronauts - 82%

No Man's Sky Next (Update Review no score)

Timespinner - 72%

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - 55%

 

Percentages. Very '90s. 

 

Nice score for AC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Even though it’s literally the first thing in there, I think it’s just going to be a space for an editorial each issue and not something like Edge’s opening editor’s note. There’s a proper introduction to the issue and what the magazine is about in the contents page. 

That's probably how it's meant, yeah. But it's a strong statement to make at the start of the first issue and then not follow through on it.

 

I'm sure it won't matter once the mag's identity is clearly established. It's more from a personal point of view I'd like to see some of that criticism as both something to read and to potentially contribute to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think it all looks good and there are some interesting features.

 

I'm a bit confused about what it's trying to be though, and that's a lot to do with that opening editorial about 'real criticism'. After reading that I was expecting something very different, much more in the vein of a literary criticism style approach to games (themes, meaning, philosophy, ideology, social relevance etc.). Instead it's about the craft of game making, the history of games and the usual previews and reviews (which, as with any other publication, just tell you whether the games are good or bad). What I've not seen - admittedly after a quick skim through - is much of that criticism mentioned at the start. I've even looked at the submissions guidelines for writers, and again it seems very focused on the technical aspects of game development or studio profiles and interviews. No mention of criticism. The little 'welcome' column in the contents page doesn't mention it either, and says the goal of the magazine is to discuss the making of games and who makes them, which certainly seems more accurate.

 

So, is that something the magazine is really interested in, or is it just a misleading editorial?

 

Totally get where you're coming from. I'd just say two things: it's the first issue, we'll grow into our cheeks. And that first page is an opinion piece from an external contributor - maybe we need the disclaimer of 'this isn't necessarily our opinion' or whatever, but yeah - not necessarily the opinion of actual staff/the company/my mum et al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ianos said:

 

Totally get where you're coming from. I'd just say two things: it's the first issue, we'll grow into our cheeks. And that first page is an opinion piece from an external contributor - maybe we need the disclaimer of 'this isn't necessarily our opinion' or whatever, but yeah - not necessarily the opinion of actual staff/the company/my mum et al.

OK, thanks. I'd say it's probably out of place right on the first page like that as well.

 

But also it's an interesting point of view that the magazine as a whole could take seriously. How games deal with various cultural and emotional themes through gameplay or a combination of narrative and gameplay is becoming increasingly relevant, as are questions of their social impact. It's perhaps worth exploring these things, even from a development perspective. To give an obvious example, say, how does Nier Automata construct the relationship between player and game world, or make us reflect on what we're doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.