ianinthefuture

Wireframe - a new gaming magazine (yes, on real paper)

Mine came today not had a chance to look yet but was very impressed with foil block on a free mag, we very rarely get to do that even on the BBC mags we make. 

IMG_20181110_093824.jpg

Mine arrived yesterday too, and it felt rather good to hold a physical games magazine after all this time. I'm not sure it's going to be my cup of tea after looking through some of the more technical looking development articles, but I'll certainly give it a go and see if it proves me wrong.

My free copy arrived today. I've only read Jessica Price's and Gris pieces and had a quick flick through the rest but it seems really good. I really like that there is some game design stuff in there.

I noticed it mentions a digital subscription but I can't seem to find it on Google. Is it just slow appearing on there or am I missing something? 

Was going to spend the evening playing with the Python code for Defenders explosions but the link to the instructions (for installing Pygames Zero I assume) goes to a coming soon splash page :(

• Empathy 1

On 10/11/2018 at 13:47, chamberlago said:

I noticed it mentions a digital subscription but I can't seem to find it on Google. Is it just slow appearing on there or am I missing something? 

Check the subs page - you can sign up to be notified for each new issue, or you can just pop onto the site when a new issue is out and download it at your leisure.

On 10/11/2018 at 18:54, wev said:

Was going to spend the evening playing with the Python code for Defenders explosions but the link to the instructions (for installing Pygames Zero I assume) goes to a coming soon splash page :(

I get the full page of instructions? This one: https://pygame-zero.readthedocs.io/en/stable/index.html

And the code is here: https://github.com/Wireframe-Magazine/Wireframe-1

• Upvote 2

Got mine, it's a bit dry in places and feels in places like it's trying to emulate the Edge style of writing, that isn't to say it feels like a pastiche or is badly written but it just needs to develop its own character. The development sections seem a bit off, maybe it'll find its feet after a few issues.

I wasn't 100% sold but have gone for the 12 copies for £12 offer because it's worth the risk. Good luck to all involved.

15 minutes ago, cubik said:

I wasn't 100% sold but have gone for the 12 copies for £12 offer because it's worth the risk. Good luck to all involved.

Is the 12 weeks for £12 offer in the mag not for 6 issues? Or are you talking about a different offer? On the inside cover it says 12 weeks for £12, then has a website link to a 12 issue offer but under that there’s a “*6 issue introductory offer” in small writing.

It’s a fortnightly magazine but the way it was formatted felt a little misleading to me.

35 minutes ago, Ianos said:

Check the subs page - you can sign up to be notified for each new issue, or you can just pop onto the site when a new issue is out and download it at your leisure.

I get the full page of instructions? This one: https://pygame-zero.readthedocs.io/en/stable/index.html

And the code is here: https://github.com/Wireframe-Magazine/Wireframe-1

I followed wfmag.cc/XVlleD which took me to this when i tried last nightScreenshot_20181111-205742.thumb.jpg.15d37a8b90dd9f798eb6153909e0d445.jpg

Tried again today, occured to me that "l" may not have been a lower case L so typed upper case "i" and it worked so my bad, I think :)

19 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

Is the 12 weeks for £12 offer in the mag not for 6 issues? Or are you talking about a different offer? On the inside cover it says 12 weeks for £12, then has a website link to a 12 issue offer but under that there’s a “*6 issue introductory offer” in small writing.

It’s a fortnightly magazine but the way it was formatted felt a little misleading to me.

I used the code printed on the address label that came with the mag and it definitely states "12 issues for £12!"

I did see the 12 weeks for £12 offer somewhere else, but this isn't it. When I log in to manage my account it now says:

Wireframe magazine 12 issue VIP offer Auto renew - UK

I like this, particularly the slightly idiosyncratic choices of things to review/preview and the focus on the development side. A Kim Justice article about U.K. game dev? That’ll do nicely.

I agree that some of the pieces could do with more personality or be written more tightly but I’m on board with the premise. Looking forward to the next 12.

It’s not bad, very good in places. But that Kim Justice UK game dev piece isn’t very good. Tries too hard to do too much in too little space. Comes across like an edited wiki.

I think it all looks good and there are some interesting features.

I'm a bit confused about what it's trying to be though, and that's a lot to do with that opening editorial about 'real criticism'. After reading that I was expecting something very different, much more in the vein of a literary criticism style approach to games (themes, meaning, philosophy, ideology, social relevance etc.). Instead it's about the craft of game making, the history of games and the usual previews and reviews (which, as with any other publication, just tell you whether the games are good or bad). What I've not seen - admittedly after a quick skim through - is much of that criticism mentioned at the start. I've even looked at the submissions guidelines for writers, and again it seems very focused on the technical aspects of game development or studio profiles and interviews. No mention of criticism. The little 'welcome' column in the contents page doesn't mention it either, and says the goal of the magazine is to discuss the making of games and who makes them, which certainly seems more accurate.

So, is that something the magazine is really interested in, or is it just a misleading editorial?

• Upvote 1

Even though it’s literally the first thing in there, I think it’s just going to be a space for an editorial each issue and not something like Edge’s opening editor’s note. There’s a proper introduction to the issue and what the magazine is about in the contents page. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Nobody has posted the review scores yet?

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 93%

8-Bit Armies - 68%

Catastronauts - 82%

No Man's Sky Next (Update Review no score)

Timespinner - 72%

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - 55%

55 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 93%

8-Bit Armies - 68%

Catastronauts - 82%

No Man's Sky Next (Update Review no score)

Timespinner - 72%

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep - 55%

Percentages. Very '90s. 

Nice score for AC.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Even though it’s literally the first thing in there, I think it’s just going to be a space for an editorial each issue and not something like Edge’s opening editor’s note. There’s a proper introduction to the issue and what the magazine is about in the contents page. 

That's probably how it's meant, yeah. But it's a strong statement to make at the start of the first issue and then not follow through on it.

I'm sure it won't matter once the mag's identity is clearly established. It's more from a personal point of view I'd like to see some of that criticism as both something to read and to potentially contribute to.

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think it all looks good and there are some interesting features.

I'm a bit confused about what it's trying to be though, and that's a lot to do with that opening editorial about 'real criticism'. After reading that I was expecting something very different, much more in the vein of a literary criticism style approach to games (themes, meaning, philosophy, ideology, social relevance etc.). Instead it's about the craft of game making, the history of games and the usual previews and reviews (which, as with any other publication, just tell you whether the games are good or bad). What I've not seen - admittedly after a quick skim through - is much of that criticism mentioned at the start. I've even looked at the submissions guidelines for writers, and again it seems very focused on the technical aspects of game development or studio profiles and interviews. No mention of criticism. The little 'welcome' column in the contents page doesn't mention it either, and says the goal of the magazine is to discuss the making of games and who makes them, which certainly seems more accurate.

So, is that something the magazine is really interested in, or is it just a misleading editorial?

Totally get where you're coming from. I'd just say two things: it's the first issue, we'll grow into our cheeks. And that first page is an opinion piece from an external contributor - maybe we need the disclaimer of 'this isn't necessarily our opinion' or whatever, but yeah - not necessarily the opinion of actual staff/the company/my mum et al.

29 minutes ago, Ianos said:

Totally get where you're coming from. I'd just say two things: it's the first issue, we'll grow into our cheeks. And that first page is an opinion piece from an external contributor - maybe we need the disclaimer of 'this isn't necessarily our opinion' or whatever, but yeah - not necessarily the opinion of actual staff/the company/my mum et al.

OK, thanks. I'd say it's probably out of place right on the first page like that as well.

But also it's an interesting point of view that the magazine as a whole could take seriously. How games deal with various cultural and emotional themes through gameplay or a combination of narrative and gameplay is becoming increasingly relevant, as are questions of their social impact. It's perhaps worth exploring these things, even from a development perspective. To give an obvious example, say, how does Nier Automata construct the relationship between player and game world, or make us reflect on what we're doing.