ianinthefuture

Wireframe - a new gaming magazine (yes, on real paper)

On 27/10/2018 at 10:53, merrychan said:

Really like the look of this, signed up for the free print one, will you be offering print subscriptions?

Yep - there's an offer on of six issues for £12. Not sure if that's live yet, would have to check with the peeps who do that stuff, but it's mentioned on the blog.

On 27/10/2018 at 12:26, CheekyLee said:

Videogames. One word. To differentiate them from other games, because they're superior.

Yes, that may be pretentious 

No, you fuck off.

Where will I be able to physically buy issue 1, if anywhere? Like, walk into a shop to purchase? 

I don't have an exhaustive list, but if it sells the MagPi/HackSpace, you can assume it'll carry Wireframe too. WH Smiths, Tesco, other smaller places.

• Upvote 2

On 26/10/2018 at 22:21, matt0 said:

I had that book.

I have nothing relevant to add about the magazine though.

I also don't understand the whole "video games" / "videogames" thing. I listened to an episode of Giant Bomb once where they went on about it for a full 15 minutes. The upshot of it all was that I don't listen to Giant Bomb any more. 

I think I've still got a copy in the loft.

• Upvote 1

It’s really fantastic to see a print mag like this coming out now. I’ll definitely be checking it out.

I staunchly believe physical print can still exist, you just need to offer compelling content. The direction stated by the editor in the OP seems a great start, especially the part about getting dev input and features. Great stuff.

31 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Always wondered how the RPi mags make money. They employ a bunch of staff, and sure they have ads in their mags, but it must be tight to break even.

They’re funded by the Pi sales, I think. That’s why they’re all free.

Have signed up for the free issue and very much looking forward to it. Love me a video game magazine. Not at all interested in the development type stuff though. If its any good, I will subscribe for sure.

7 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Always wondered how the RPi mags make money. They employ a bunch of staff, and sure they have ads in their mags, but it must be tight to break even.

They're all doing well. I mean, obviously I can't say much (and know even less), but they wouldn't be launching a new mag if things were particularly tight.

Ordered, and really looking forward to it arriving. The news about GamesTM and Gamesmaster had me reminising about when new magazines used to appear in my gaming heyday, and the excitement that came with them. Had thought those days were gone, but apparently not!

Have you/they/whoever thought about some kind of 'pay as much as you like' digital sub option? I reckon quite a few people would choose to pay a bit, because they neither want to waste trees nor freeload (assuming it's any good, obviously, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there with that cover).

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Have you/they/whoever thought about some kind of 'pay as much as you like' digital sub option? I reckon quite a few people would choose to pay a bit, because they neither want to waste trees nor freeload (assuming it's any good, obviously, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt there with that cover).

There's a free option because the entire ethos behind the Raspberry Pi Foundation (parent company of RPi Trading, which runs Wireframe) is to get things into as many hands as possible. They do the same for their other magazines; it's not freeloading at all - it's actively encouraged.

Any profits that do come from sales go to the Foundation. It's a commercial enterprise, but not like any other the other mags/sites I've worked for in my career:

"Wireframe magazine operates under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial ShareAlike 3.0 Unported licence (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0). This means you are welcome to share and adapt the content of the magazine as long as you follow the licence terms.

Wireframe magazine is published by Raspberry Pi Press, the publishing imprint of Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd. Like the purchase of any other official Raspberry Pi product, buying Wireframe magazine helps the Raspberry Pi Foundation’s charitable mission to put the power of computing in the hands of people all over the world. Every penny made by RPTL goes towards the Raspberry Pi Foundation's charitable mission."

I'll bring up a pay-what-you-want option, mind. I reckon they've probably considered it before and turned it down for whatever reason.

• Upvote 2

I'm interested in the business model here. So the mag is effectively subsidised by Raspberry Pi and isn't expected to turn a profit? So it's a kind of loss leader that brings added value to the overall business by way of gaining more awareness and engagement?

47 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I'm interested in the business model here. So the mag is effectively subsidised by Raspberry Pi and isn't expected to turn a profit? So it's a kind of loss leader that brings added value to the overall business by way of gaining more awareness and engagement?

I'm not in the finance side so am by no means an authority here, but it's not made as a loss-leader - it's made to be profitable. You can just get it for free if you want/can't afford the print version. It's exactly the same model as RPi's other magazines, and it's working very well for them.

I saw issue 1 sitting in my local Tesco this morning. That's something Edge has never managed.

I picked up a copy. "Can games be art?" as an opening sentence on the first page of the first issue is a concern, tbh.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

I saw issue 1sitting in my local Tesco this morning. That's something Edge has never managed.

I picked up a copy. "Can games be art?" as an opening sentence on the first page of the first issue is a concern, tbh.

Give the editorial a read, it had me concerned at first but it's got an interesting point.

My teenage memories of CVGs "yellow pages" mid section came flooding back as I flicked through and the paper type changed for the "Toolbox" section of the mag.

I really liked the opening column and I agree with how most games journalism is 'these things happen and here's if you should play it or not'

Edit : picked up the sub offer, looking forward to reading more issues, also bonus points for having an article on Treasure

• Upvote 2

Had a chance to flick through the first few bits now. The opening piece, as mentioned, is actually pretty good despite its unfortunate choice of opener.

That said, any hope that said article is a declaration of intent for the magazine, decrying as it does the common perception (and execution) of the role of game critic as little more than someone who "tells you whether a game is good or bad", rather than one who "makes subtext text, traces themes, and fills in white space", is swiftly undone by the contents page titling its reviews section "Rated". Buyer's guide it is! 

• Upvote 2