ianinthefuture

Wireframe - a new gaming magazine (yes, on real paper)

Awesome thanks for the link for the free copy looking forward to checking it out. The games mag shelf in WH Smith is a sad sight these days, back in the day the shelves groaned under the weight of all the different publications but that honour belongs to mindfulness magazines and colouring books these days. 

All the best with the magazine and hope it all works out it's a great thing to see. 

22 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Actually I think you'll find the accepted nomenclature is computer spacegames: 

91ENij1lnNL.thumb.jpg.377eb8da0cb9a8efb6db90e0d92d9d57.jpg

I had that book.

I have nothing relevant to add about the magazine though.

I also don't understand the whole "video games" / "videogames" thing. I listened to an episode of Giant Bomb once where they went on about it for a full 15 minutes. The upshot of it all was that I don't listen to Giant Bomb any more. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, deKay said:

It’s video games. You don’t say boardgames or cardgames or sexgames.

Then I shall fight you as well, good sir. 

Once I am done playing this foot ball video game on my lap top computer, of course. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Then I shall fight you as well, good sir. 

Once I am done playing this foot ball video game on my lap top computer, of course. 

I’m not actually precious about it, and never used to stick to one myself. A few years ago I thought to standardise since I talk and write about them a lot so “video games” it was, for that argument.

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Do you have a US distributor lined up, maybe Barnes and Noble?

That's above my pay grade, sadly. I think the MagPi and HackSpace make an appearance in the US, and if they do it stands to reason Wireframe will too. I genuinely don't know for sure though.

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I love the idea of a more frequent games mag. Where will the print version be on sale? Through subscription at all?

First issue November 8, then every two weeks. There's a subscription offer on right now - I think it's £12 for six issues, but don't quote me on that as I didn't check. Ahem.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Really nice cover. Best of luck with it. 

That said, ‘videogames’ is one word and I will fight you. 

Being a freelancer for what feels like three lifetimes*, I have learned to stop arguing about this and just write it how the style guide says to write it, otherwise you end up having another pointless discussion when you really need to be getting on with other work.

That said, this role has taken me out of freelance, so I likely have more time to actually debate the space/no space issue.

I probably won't do that, though.

*life times

• Upvote 5

Video games 

Sorry, I originally wrote the above as one word and Apple denied it.

That said, I want to eat an Apple. Yep, there they go again with the fruit denying. The nerve of this company.

51 minutes ago, Ianos said:

That's above my pay grade, sadly. I think the MagPi and HackSpace make an appearance in the US, and if they do it stands to reason Wireframe will too. I genuinely don't know for sure though.

No worries, I'll keep an eye out and report back!

Videogames. One word. To differentiate them from other games, because they're superior.

Yes, that may be pretentious 

No, you fuck off.

Where will I be able to physically buy issue 1, if anywhere? Like, walk into a shop to purchase?