Star Trek: Lower Decks

JohnC

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Wow that was done quickly and quietly! Hadn't heard it was coming.

It does mean I'm gonna have to fucking watch it now though. Fucks sake.

I hear it needs a quick rewatch of Discovery before starting.

18 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Wow that was done quickly and quietly! Hadn't heard it was coming.

It does mean I'm gonna have to fucking watch it now though. Fucks sake.

Yeah, I didn't know it was coming (although turns it this post mentioned it twice last page). I watched the first episode on the high seas and liked it well enough to check it out now on Prime.

34 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Well I've just watched the first episode and it seems like a not funny version of Futurama with a Star Trek badge slapped on it.

Hope it gets better.

It does. I thought the first episode was okay, but loved it as it went on.

I do like the opening credits showing the ship having a number of accidents and incidents.

Specifically the one where it shows up to a battle between Romulans and Borg, gets shot at and immediately turns and runs made me laugh.

I just watched the first episode, fully expecting to hate it.

How wrong could I possibly be? I thought it was genuinely funny (maybe I'm easily pleased) and more importantly it felt more like proper Star Trek than anything we've seen for nearly two decades. They've managed more actual character development in 25 minutes of animated slapstick than Discovery has managed in three years of whispering and crying. I am really very impressed, and relieved, and looking forward to watching the rest of it.

18 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I just watched the first episode, fully expecting to hate it.

How wrong could I possibly be? I thought it was genuinely funny (maybe I'm easily pleased) and more importantly it felt more like proper Star Trek than anything we've seen for nearly two decades. They've managed more actual character development in 25 minutes of animated slapstick than Discovery has managed in three years of whispering and crying. I am really very impressed, and relieved, and looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Space it out for one a night is my recommendation.  Any more than that and it a) grates and b)blurs together.  Wish they would dial tendi back just a tad, but otherwise like it.  Laughed more than I should have at 

Spoiler

The Janeway manuever 

Watched episode 2. Really don't see where the love for this is coming from. It's 'in' jokes are things like 'the Klingon language sounds aggressive' and the also-used-in-discovery 'sometimes captains have a catchphrase when they go to warp'. It's like they're trying to be self aware by taking the piss out of trek in a trek show, but only using the tired old gags that people who don't like trek use to take the piss out of trek.

None of the characters behave like Starfleet officers and as for it feeling more like proper Trek than disco or Picard, other than it being episodic and having TNG memberberries dripping all over it, I don't see owt Trek about it.

But it is getting a lot of love in this thread so I'll fuck up and let people enjoy it :lol:

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

I would say I wasn't a huge fan of the second episode at the time. I'd give it one more episode before giving up unless you really despise it.

Oh I'm going to watch them all regardless. I've watched every other bit of Trek ever made so I'm going to finish this if it kills me.

2 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Oh I'm going to watch them all regardless. I've watched every other bit of Trek ever made so I'm going to finish this if it kills me.

At the very least, the plots make sense and the main character doesn't whisper/cry every episode. 

Watched through today and enjoyed it. It’s a little different and more comedy than most Trek. I enjoy the references to other series myself. This format lets me think of it as different to the others and the references to Voyager, Enterprise and TNG are welcome.

Most of all I appreciate the broadly self contained nature of the episodes. It feel much more like Trek than Discovery or Picard.