IGNORED

Star Trek: Lower Decks

JohnC

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Actually, one thing that does grate a bit is how they feel the need to directly reference happenings in the other shows so much. 

I've only seen the trailers, will give it a watch whenever Amazon or Netflix get hold of it. But the part in the trailer where it was all HEY, REMEMBER BAT'LETHS???!!! really did grate on me. Stank of gratuitous fan service by a creatively bankrupt set of writers.

From what I've heard there's a lot of that.

47 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

I've only seen the trailers, will give it a watch whenever Amazon or Netflix get hold of it. But the part in the trailer where it was all HEY, REMEMBER BAT'LETHS???!!! really did grate on me. Stank of gratuitous fan service by a creatively bankrupt set of writers.

From what I've heard there's a lot of that.

There is a bit of that, and yes it can be jarring. It's usually literally just a throwaway reference though, and not the focus of a whole scene or anything like that.

The trailer was awful by the way, and made the show look like hyperactive nonsense. It's hardly Deep Space Nine, but it's a decent show in its own right.

On 08/09/2020 at 09:41, Death's Head said:

Finally caught up with all of these and yep, I knew it - so much better than Discovery and Picard. It actually feels like proper Star Trek. It even has the proper title cards and everything! Plus they’ve canonised Cetacean Ops so I’m very happy.

Also nearly spat out my cereal at “I need to blood piss some blood wine”.

:o 

I've been waiting for them to do that since a nerdy friend at secondary school leant me the TNG tech manual. :lol: 

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

I haven't seen the finale yet either, but I have to agree that against all odds, this has been a decent little Star Trek show. It also has actual, likeable characters with some amount of depth.

This guy gets it!

On 11/10/2020 at 15:57, Protocol Penguin said:

Additional question: as a DS9 fan, who's rather annoyed that DS9 has been written out of Trek history other than Section 31 being a thing, am I going to be annoyed by this?

A significant character is Bajoran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

There is a bit of first episode hurdle to get past too. It's not trailer bad, but it's worrying. I feel like that's the only episode Kurtzman watched. Power through. It gets good faster than The Orville did. 

Thanks for that actually, you've made me decide to give it another go. I got half way through the first episode and just couldn't take anymore of it. I really wanted to like it though and I seem to be in the minority in disliking it.

1 hour ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Thanks for that actually, you've made me decide to give it another go. I got half way through the first episode and just couldn't take anymore of it. I really wanted to like it though and I seem to be in the minority in disliking it.

One review suggested watching the finale first for those not completely sold on it.