Star Trek: Lower Decks

1 minute ago, Scruff said:

Only if you were in a coma during DS9, the best Trek series made.

Or indeed if I misread the post. Obviously DS9 is amazing, and it's way to early to rank The Orville higher or lower than Voyager and Enterprise.

It is, however, a million times better than Discovery and Picard.

3 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Or indeed if I misread the post. Obviously DS9 is amazing, and it's way to early to rank The Orville higher or lower than Voyager and Enterprise.

It is, however, a million times better than Discovery and Picard.

I was using 'you' in the general sense, not aimed at you specifically. As for being to early to rank Orville higher than Voyager or Enterprise, I'd already done that after the first episodes opening credits.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

I was using 'you' in the general sense, not aimed at you specifically. As for being to early to rank Orville higher than Voyager or Enterprise, I'd already done that after the first episodes opening credits.

You mean after the embarrassing 'alien cum' joke and the not-as-good-as-Voyager's opening music and credits? (I like The Orville, btw...)

It's a low bar, to be sure but I'm confident that Voyager and Enterprise comfortably fail it*

*some Voyager and Enterprise are actually quite good but they're still the worse Trek** by a good margin.

** The last two 'Trek' series are nothing of the sort

That actually wasn't entirely terrible.
It was no where near good - but it wasn't offensively bad.

I might have actually enjoyed it more than some Discovery/Picard because they were actively bad at worst whereas this is just...superflous

It was surprisingly quite amusing in parts. Enough for me to want to watch some more. I enjoyed the first episode more than the entire runs so far of Discovery and Picard.

26 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Any word if this is coming to Amazon at all or any other channel? 

There's been no word on a UK broadcaster.

1 hour ago, Papaya Dance said:

Its coming to netflix, or so my trekkie friend told me. I've not bothered googling to see where he got that info from but he's not usually the type to bullshit.

He could be right but unless he knows something off the record he's bullshitting. Nothing has been announced about international distribution yet. 

On 13/08/2020 at 19:32, McCoy said:

He could be right but unless he knows something off the record he's bullshitting. Nothing has been announced about international distribution yet. 

It seems with anime Netflix prefers to buy complete series :(

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the fourth episode today, and I still think this is the closest new Trek has come to proper Trek. The setup was a more absurd take on what could have been an episode of TNG, and although it had a pure technobabble resolution more suited to Voyager. It was enjoyable though, if never laugh out loud funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up with all of these and yep, I knew it - so much better than Discovery and Picard. It actually feels like proper Star Trek. It even has the proper title cards and everything! Plus they’ve canonised Cetacean Ops so I’m very happy.

Also nearly spat out my cereal at “I need to blood piss some blood wine”.

• 1 month later...

Best Star Trek series finale in recent memory. 

Best Star Trek show in recent memory. 

It didn’t take itself very seriously yet had a proper exciting end. 

Haven’t seen the finale yet but I found with the last few episodes I sort of stopped watching it as a comedy (though it is funny) and was just enjoying it as well-made ‘proper’ Star Trek.  Glad to hear it ends well! 

I haven't seen the finale yet either, but I have to agree that against all odds, this has been a decent little Star Trek show. It also has actual, likeable characters with some amount of depth.