Star Trek: Lower Decks

JohnC

Star Trek has always had "comedy" episodes, especially throughout DS9's run. But when the comedy in the best of those worked it was because the show still played it straight, or through humorous character interactions, rather than specifically signposting the funny.

10 hours ago, layten said:

Yea, this is looking fucking terrible.

Awful. The Rick 'n' Morty visual style just seems to be lazy shortcutting for 'adult animation' now. Boring character design, boring rigged animation, lame scripts.

Yuck.

12 hours ago, layten said:

Yea, this is looking fucking terrible.

Christ alive, what a depressingly poor effort. Shrill, craply animated nonsense with Trek's skin unconvincingly stretched over it.

Like/dislike ratio hidden and comments turned off too. Hopefully there's a CBS executive pouring themselves a stiff drink in the middle of a sleepless night after seeing it getting a deserved kicking in the initial stats.

"I want to do a show about the people who put the yellow cartridge in the food replicator so a banana can come out the other end"

That's not how replicators work

Red Dwarf already did this

Alien already did this

Dark Star already did this

Futurama already did this

TNG S8 was a mildly amusing idea that quickly ran its one joke (DATA AND GEORDI ARE LIKE KIDS DON'T YOU SEE) into the ground

I've seen better writing, technical craft and genuine love for the subject matter in Newgrounds animations (not to disparage Newgrounds)

Jesus Christ

Fuck off Alex Kurtzman

21 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Are you saying that Star Trek and comedy is a bad mix?

The set actually looks pretty good. Well done on the person responsible for that. No praise for anyone else involved.

Shame the chairs are relatively tiny tho. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the first episode. Not an instant classic but I enjoyed myself and laughed quite a bit. It's a bit weird watching a Star Trek show where the bridge crew are complete arseholes though.

Bonus points for the intro sequence and then general TNG feel across the entire package. Stay for the "Later this season" preview at the end.

Well I'm surprised to say that wasn't completely awful. In fact I probably enjoyed it more than most of Discovery and Picard, which I know isn't saying much. It's certainly more recognisably Star Trek.