Sign in to follow this  
JPickford

New Intellivision waste of time.

my rich mate used to have an Intellivision, we used to go round his house to play it after Different Strokes or Littlest Hobo was on (at least thats how I remember it)

good times. 

• Upvote 3

I had the much better, but clearly based on this, ColecoVision. Still have it, should probably donate to a museum. 

Who on Earth is this aimed at? 

They at least seem to have some sort of plan for what this thing will be, unlike the Atari box which just appears to be "fuck it, some gobshite is bound to want a new Atari product". 

The controllers look like Sandisk mp3 players. Hope the D-Pad is better than that. 

• Upvote 1

I didn't understand where this video was heading or what the point of the product was, or why anyone would buy it.  But they kept the biggest reveals to the end of the video and with Emily Rossenthal in charge of Communication and Events, I'm sure it will be a rip roaring success.. Congratulations to all concerned.

*I have no idea who most of these people are.

Some of those names are a blast from the past... I remember Perrin Kaplin was kind of the precursor to Reggie Fils-Amis 

1705839703_ScreenShot2018-10-22at22_37_28.thumb.png.d6a1ef3ee9c5ea83efb0725e8ac8829f.png

Maybe with David Perry involved, they're using up the money he made from that streaming tech  he sold to Sony. 

1 hour ago, probotector said:

Sadly it seems better thought out and feature rich/ready to go then Nintendo’s efforts.

Yeah, I think this is somewhat impressive in terms of its claims. They're talking about doing what Nintendo said they would but so far haven't.

But it's the wrong console. Tallarico had one as a kid, but for those of us without nostalgia its games are too crappy these days. Whereas this new-hardware approach for other retro consoles could be fantastic. Nintendo wouldn't let anyone touch the SNES, but maybe the Mega Drive? Imagine an online store with games at a few quid each, all of those with two-player modes updated with online play, and leaderboards for almost everything...

Or this same approach and pricing for the Saturn. I've always said that I'd pay up for Gran Turismo HD with an online mode, and feel that Sony have dropped the ball massively by not adding online play to the Mini, alongside a store for more games.

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

I'm a sucker for doomed hardware. CD32, Jaguar, NGPC, NGage, I've bought them all.

Count me in, what could go wrong?

Neogeo pocket wasn’t doomed though!

probably the most successful neogeo hardware!

I think the only time I ever played on an Intellvision was in Boots, that soccer game, and it seemed relatively uncontrollable with the pad.

Didn’t it also have those weird sticks that didn’t self-centre?

30 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I think the only time I ever played on an Intellvision was in Boots, that soccer game, and it seemed relatively uncontrollable with the pad.

Didn’t it also have those weird sticks that didn’t self-centre?

Nah that's the Videopac.

My brother an I got an intellivision for Xmas in about 1980 (ish) with soccer, lock n chase and night crawler. It had some great games, though the disc control with those number inserts wete a bit crap. Our neighbours one upped us and got the voice pack thing with tron and B17 bomber that said chocks away every time you dropped a bomb. 

7 hours ago, Camel said:

Nah that's the Videopac.

That wasn’t the one I was thinking of...in my mind it was like this, seems to be an old speccy stick:

veryoldjstick.jpg

I don’t think it was the intellivision, but I don’t know where I ever came across one like this either! In my mind it was brown - maybe just a false memory...