rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Timmo

Do you prefer physical books or Ebooks?

Physical books vs. Ebooks  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I recently bought a bunch of books from HMV as they have a ton of (mostly) classic paperbacks at 2 for £5.

I love how they look on a shelf but more than that I really like holding them and owning them. I read somewhere that reading a physical book helps with recall as you are physically working through it from front to back and relating events to where they are in the book is much easier. Also, I think I find finishing a paperback more satisfying.

Whilst I think my Kindle is incredible (especially that battery life and backlight), I don't think I enjoy the overall experience as much, despite the obvious positives.

Which do you prefer?

• Upvote 2

I much prefer reading books on my Kindle and I find I read quicker using it, but at the same time I love owning physical copies too.  Ideally I wish Amazon would start giving the Kindle edition for either free or say 99p, whenever you bought the physical copy from them.

The problem with owning as many books as I do(800), storing them all, does start to take over your house.

• Upvote 1

I am almost entirely audible these days.

Kindle is much better for actually reading, but I do love having my favourites on the shelves.

Generally, physical books are much nicer - and in an ideal environment I much prefer them.

I tend to read more on Kindle though for the convenience factor (holidays, public transport, in bed without the lights on).

I do prefer physical books - they're lovely items. I read a lot of ebooks on my Kindle though - but that's mainly because at the moment most of my reading time is whilst I'm walking to and from work, and also because I'm raiding Project Gutenberg for the classics.

The great thing about ebooks that is vey rarely mentioned is that they are unaffected by the wind. Reading a paper book in a strong wind is a pain in the bum.

I do love owning paper books but 99% of my reading is on kindle. I’ll buy the physical book and pirate the eBook via IRC of all things. 

I prefer physical books but I’ve had to start cutting back as my house is starting to run out physical space in which to store them. Kindle has been a godsend for trashy thrillers which I would otherwise keep for no good reason.

Physical books every time, I only get through maybe 10 a year. I don't bother with fiction, only politics, history, bios and occult literature, and some books about psychedelics and anything offering an explanation of the origins of religions/cults. I love Robert Anton Wilson.

I love the feel of a well thumbed book and try and avoid hard covers where possible. It might sound daft, but every book on my shelf feels like an achievement of sorts.

I've tried reading e-books and I just don't get the same enjoyment out of them at all, so I only read physical books. I try and be fairly ruthless about what I keep (thrillers, horror novels, and the like go to the charity shop once I've read them) but that still leaves me with a very significant collection. Luckily I recently read that growing up in a house full of books is likely to lead to higher literacy  and numeracy in adulthood, so I'm doing it for the kids, honestly.

Definitely ebooks. I imported the first Kindle from the US and don't go anywhere without my paperwhite now. It's just incredibly handy to have a massive library to pick from at any time and it takes no space.

Also my eyes are very dodgy, and I struggle to read a physical book in bad light. The paperwhite I can read anywhere

• Upvote 1

Definitely ebooks. I went through a spell of not reading as much as when I was younger, but the Kindle reignited the passion. I do buy the occasional paperback though. I picked up the 50th anniversary edition of Dune recently. I've never read it, and getting the paperback version somehow felt like the right thing to do.

7 hours ago, David Kenny said:

I've tried reading e-books and I just don't get the same enjoyment out of them at all, so I only read physical books. I try and be fairly ruthless about what I keep (thrillers, horror novels, and the like go to the charity shop once I've read them) but that still leaves me with a very significant collection. Luckily I recently read that growing up in a house full of books is likely to lead to higher literacy  and numeracy in adulthood, so I'm doing it for the kids, honestly.

Much the same here.  I really don't like reading electronic books unless there is no alternative i.e out of print or otherwise unavailable in physical edition.  At the end of each month I comb out the discards for charity and keep the rest, with perhaps a bigger "cull" in the new year if things have got out of hand. If I lived in a house, I wonder how many more books I would have kept?  

I am finding I prefer using my Kindle these days mainly because I can boost the text size. I'm partially-sighted and whilst I can read normal text it does take me a lot longer to read, so being able to have large text just like that makes reading so much more comfortable.

But real books are great, and I have to physically avoid The Works' 3 for £5 crappy paperbacks otherwise I'll end up with a house full.

I've always been an avid reader, but having a Kindle has definitely made me broaden my horizons and pick up books that I'd usually never even have noticed before. It's pretty great to give something a go - usually something at a stupidly low price - and getting a huge amount of enjoyment out of it. So, I read pretty much everything on a Kindle (or on my ipad) most of the time. 

However, the fact is I get an absolute thrill from physical books too - I love poking my nose through the racks at charity stores and car books and coming across something fabulous that's been out of print for ages. Doesn't matter what condition it's in, just to know I've got it is great :D

I prefer physical books, but as I buy physical games rather than digital ones, I've bitten the bullet and mostly buy digital books.  The exceptions are reference books.

Ideally I've have both in physical form, but the space and moving costs are too much.

100% physical books. I have got a few ebooks, but mostly ones that I picked up for 99p and wasn't sure if I wanted to buy them. The vast majority of them lie unread.

I know they take up more space, especially when you also really like hardbacks, but I much prefer reading from a physical book. For me there is much more of a sense of escape with a book over an ebook.

When my girlfriend and I first met, she mostly read from her Kindle. She was aware from an early stage that I was a) a book geek (she calls bookshops my creches) and b) I preferred physical books. I've never pushed it with her, but having been around all my books for the last five years, she now reads more books than ebooks.

And then there's the fun of a bookshelf reorganisation...

I have boxes full of books still somewhere in my parents' attic, but these days I'm pretty much entirely Kindle-bound. It's just a much better experience for me, especially compared to reading longer books that would otherwise be a little uncomfortable to hold. 

I used to be irrationally obsessed with keeping book spines flat too, and ebooks have stopped me worrying about that. :blush:

On 23/10/2018 at 12:59, Mogster said:

I used to be irrationally obsessed with keeping book spines flat too. :blush:

Nothing irrational about that. ^_^

• Upvote 2

I prefer physical books for reference texts and books that I really treasure. For general best-seller stuff I prefer Kindle

I bought a brand new signed and sealed edition of Gaiman's Norse Mythology earlier. There's something about the smell and quality of the fresh new pages. Physical all the way, yo. 

• Upvote 2

On 20/10/2018 at 10:15, David Kenny said:

Shame that didn't work for me :P  English was always kwite (j/k) gud though.

I'm glad I have a kindle/kindle app. After my recent surgery my eyesight has deteriorated. If it wasn't for buying stuff in ebooks I wouldn't actually be able to read properly until I can see my optician and get new glasses.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Flub said:

I'm glad I have a kindle/kindle app. After my recent surgery my eyesight has deteriorated. If it wasn't for buying stuff in ebooks I wouldn't actually be able to read properly until I can see my optician and get new glasses.

I'm the same. I have always been partially-sighted but recently I had a problem with one of my eyes associated with cataract operations which whilst not a huge issue, has made reading smaller print difficult. I still read small print but it takes ages and I can't do it for long periods. So the Kindle is invaluable.

• Upvote 1