acidbearboy

Brian Eno’s Ambient Works

Looking to purchase Apollo -Atmospheres and Soundtracks on CD after rediscovering the wonderful An Ending (Ascent) recently, but noticed that there are several versions to choose from. Anybody know if there's much to choose between the original and the various remasters?

https://www.discogs.com/Brian-Eno-With-Daniel-Lanois-Roger-Eno-Apollo-Atmospheres-Soundtracks/master/6531

I used to have all the 2009 remasters for the ambient series, I remember them being slightly better than the originals I had before them but it certainly wasn't night and day. I think you'd be fine with any of them really.

They're all being reissued on vinyl next month, single disc versions and weirdly reasonably priced fancy 45rpm doubles. The old copies were a bit of a nightmare on vinyl since they had quite a high noise floor due to the length and crackles are pretty much death on a lot of ambient albums. I might be tempted by these new ones if reports are good.

Thanks for the info. I’ve ordered the 1989 CD for £2.78. 

How do you rate the ambient series? I have music for airports, which is great. I also have discreet music which I’ve not listened to an awful lot. Are they all of a similar quality?

1, 2, 4 and Apollo are all of a really consistent quality but 3 is more a Laraaji album (aka Edward Larry Gordon) and not as good. There's a great ELG album called Celestial Vibration which is definitely worth checking out though. It's been a long time since I listened to Discreet Music but I guess the fact that I didn't keep hold of it suggests I didn't like it as much as the others! Same with Music for Films.

The Pearl with Harold Budd and Daniel Lanois is up there with his other classic ambient albums for me. His albums with Cluster have some really nice ambient moments too but they're more varied in style.

Day Of Radiance (Ambient 3) really sticks out like a sore thumb.

I really got heavily into Eno and ambient in my teenage years, in the pre-internet late-80s/early-90s. I never knew that Eno didn't really "do" Ambient 3, so for years, everytime I was in a record store, I would have a look in the "E" section to see if it this fabled disc happened to be there. I started to think that maybe it was some kind of Eno joke. I think I even had a dream once where I found it, and then woke up sad.

Anyway, when I finally learned it was by some guy called Laraaji, I rushed to Tower Records, and found it instantly. Got the CD home, listened to it a couple of times, and I don't think it came out of the box again. For supposedly "ambient" music, it is incredibly annoying.

Another shout-out for "The Pearl" ... really good stuff.

For a genre of music that is supposed to be "as ignorable as it is interesting", I think the only Eno ambient work I don't really care for is Neroli, which really strays heavily into "ignorable" territory.

I've never really got Neroli either, I think I fundamentally don't understand what he's trying to say, or what it's purpose is. I'm sure I'm missing something?

Have a look for thursday afternoon, that's one of my favourite Eno albums. It's one piece just over an hour long, and doesn't really change a great deal over the course of it, but there are subtle changes which you could possibly call sections. I usually listen to it on long flights, it's definitely my music for airports.

• Upvote 1

My favourite non-Ambient ambient track of Eno's is probably this one from The Shutov Assembly

Despite the mid-80s FM coming through this is the epitome of ambient for me, real headphone music that evolves over time. This sounds like the soundtrack to dawn in mid-summer, you can hear the birds gradually come in.

Nothing can quite beat Discreet Music for me though.

• Upvote 1

On 23/10/2018 at 20:56, peeveen said:

Day Of Radiance (Ambient 3) really sticks out like a sore thumb.

I really got heavily into Eno and ambient in my teenage years, in the pre-internet late-80s/early-90s. I never knew that Eno didn't really "do" Ambient 3, so for years, everytime I was in a record store, I would have a look in the "E" section to see if it this fabled disc happened to be there. I started to think that maybe it was some kind of Eno joke. I think I even had a dream once where I found it, and then woke up sad.

Anyway, when I finally learned it was by some guy called Laraaji, I rushed to Tower Records, and found it instantly. Got the CD home, listened to it a couple of times, and I don't think it came out of the box again. For supposedly "ambient" music, it is incredibly annoying.

Another shout-out for "The Pearl" ... really good stuff.

For a genre of music that is supposed to be "as ignorable as it is interesting", I think the only Eno ambient work I don't really care for is Neroli, which really strays heavily into "ignorable" territory.

I love Day Of Radiance! So good to have a non-noisy pressing of On Land though.

12 hours ago, Vimster said:

My favourite non-Ambient ambient track of Eno's is probably this one from The Shutov Assembly

Despite the mid-80s FM coming through this is the epitome of ambient for me, real headphone music that evolves over time. This sounds like the soundtrack to dawn in mid-summer, you can hear the birds gradually come in.

Nothing can quite beat Discreet Music for me though.

Yeah, that's a stunner.

It reminds me of a summer day, yes, but mid afternoon on a hot Sunday back in the 80s when I was a kid. Everything's closed, the streets are quiet, no cars, and I'm just bored, alone in the park.

Ambient 2 has a special place in my heart. Along with Boards of Canada - Campfire Headphase, it helped get me through so much late night essay writing and a full blown existential crisis at university.