rllmuk
Spartan

Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

Shout out to the M30 2.4g pads which are on sale now. They're every bit as amazing as the Saturn MK2 pad - perfect d-pad and buttons, great feel and zero detectable lag (tested now with breezy, complete playthroughs of MUSHA, ESWAT and Contra Hard Corps).

Part of me feels s bit dirty using a wireless pad but it's still about half the price of a Joyzz or a refurb OG MD 6-button pad.

I bought the M30 Bluetooth version so I can use it with my Shield TV, PC and Switch.

It'll work with the Analogue Mega Drive too, I hope.

10 hours ago, Adrock said:

I still want an FPGA Megadrive though and I had an 8bitdo Bluetooth M30 delivered by Amazon this evening, that is the controller bundled with this, isn't it?

Im not 100% sure on this, but to save possible future disappointment I would suggest you check that the SG doesn’t want you to use the 2.4Ghz pads with the adapter that goes in the controller port. I’m sure I was stung with this same issue (different pads) on the Super NT. 

i want to know this myself as I have an SG on the way and I’d like a pair of M30s to use on both this and my switch. Problem being that the switch will only work with Bluetooth and I’m worries that the SG won’t. 

4 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Im not 100% sure on this, but to save possible future disappointment I would suggest you check that the SG doesn’t want you to use the 2.4Ghz pads with the adapter that goes in the controller port. I’m sure I was stung with this same issue (different pads) on the Super NT. 

i want to know this myself as I have an SG on the way and I’d like a pair of M30s to use on both this and my switch. Problem being that the switch will only work with Bluetooth and I’m worries that the SG won’t. 

My understanding is that the Mega SG won’t work with the Bluetooth pad. 

Ive got a Bluetooth pad here for my switch and a 2.4g one for the Mega SG when it arrives. 

So I went to order a Mega Everdrive X7 and everywhere is out of stock. What’s the deal?

is it everyone prepping for the Mega SG or did I miss something?

Official site has in stock but id rather get off a reseller to avoid import charges etc. 

Even looked at at us sellers as I have relatives there coming over in a few weeks. 

Surely the point of a new system that plays original carts is to use your original carts rather than roms on an everdrive?

Well yeah. But there are other good Megadrive games that I don’t own currently and aren’t super easy to get a hold of. 

And the point is also to do to have an easy way to play the games on a modern telly without modding  console and passing through OSSC etc. 

2 hours ago, Alshie said:

And the point is also to do to have an easy way to play the games on a modern telly without modding  console and passing through OSSC etc. 

This. And having all sorts of game cases lying around downstairs would be bothersome too if I had to go upstairs to where 100+ games are to switch carts each time.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alshie said:

So I went to order a Mega Everdrive X7 and everywhere is out of stock. What’s the deal?

Official site has in stock but id rather get off a reseller to avoid import charges etc. 

Even looked at at us sellers as I have relatives there coming over in a few weeks. 

Surely it is simpler to wait for the firmware that will allow you to run games from the SD card?  I think the Super NT one arrived within 2 weeks of launch. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Surely it is simpler to wait for the firmware that will allow you to run games from the SD card?  I think the Super NT one arrived within 2 weeks of launch. 

Usable on real hardware still as well, plus if you do connect this to a Mega CD, the Everdrive would allow you to boot into other region bios AND use it as a ram cart, and so on.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Alshie said:

I can only speak for myself, but I have ordered direct from Krikkz on 7 separate occasions, and have never been stung for any import charges.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lord Melbury said:

I can only speak for myself, but I have ordered direct from Krikkz on 7 separate occasions, and have never been stung for any import charges.

Good to know, will just do that then and cross my fingers!

17 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

I was forgetting that there isn't the same level of custom chips for MD as there was for the SNES. 

I may end up doing that initially, I have the original carts for most of the games I really like anyway, just keen to try a few of the harder to get/prohibitively expensive ones.

3 hours ago, Alshie said:

I was forgetting that there isn't the same level of custom chips for MD as there was for the SNES. 

The Mega Everdrives can literally do EVERY title besides Virtua Racing indeed!

...plus the Everdrive X7 has (slightly janky, to be fair) save-state support and - my particular favourite feature - FM sound support in Master System games.

23 minutes ago, Zio said:

...plus the Everdrive X7 has (slightly janky, to be fair) save-state support and - my particular favourite feature - FM sound support in Master System games.

Yeah, save state is a bit hit and miss, and music is often wonky after restoring (I'd guess it isn't capturing the state of the Z80, only the X6800). Still pretty invaluable if you're time poor, though.

The Mega SG will do Master System FM itself though, and probably a better implementation (there's ever so slight clipping on the Everdrive's implementation due to lack of FPGA space, by the author's own admission). What I'll be interested to hear about though is whether the dedicated SMS core (which sounds more enhanced than the Mega Drive's built-in backwards compatiblity) will be usable with the Mega Everdrive, or if I'll have to buy a Master Everdrive to use it.

50 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Yeah, save state is a bit hit and miss, and music is often wonky after restoring (I'd guess it isn't capturing the state of the Z80, only the X6800).

I get wonky sound when rewinding/fast forwarding on Sega Mega Drive Classics on the Switch - guessing this is related!

Just now, DeciderVT said:

Strongly considering this, as it's the most responsive wireless option.

https://twitter.com/RetroRGB/status/1107998783080669184

All I can say is it's fucking amazing. 

I used to use 8bitdo controllers with my Famicom and Super Famicom, but switched to OG pads and cable extensions as the original pads are just better. 

...not so with my Krikzz Joyzz, it's so good. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I used to use 8bitdo controllers with my Famicom and Super Famicom, but switched to OG pads and cable extensions as the original pads are just better. 

Seconded. Thirded? Whatevered. It's a genuinely great controller.

Not cheap, mind.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'm using the 8BitDo DIY kits for NES and SNES but I'm hoping for a Nintendo equivalent to Joyzz now. Couldn't get on with the actual 8BitDo pads themselves.

To be fair to 8bitdo, the 2.4g controllers are as good as the Krikkz ones as far as lag goes, according to that review.  They are also a lot cheaper, £23 from Amazon complete with a receiver in the box.  It's the Bluetooth ones that have "major" lag, although I doubt I'd notice the difference, personally.

• Upvote 2

Also, the Bluetooth examples are having to go utilise the adapter. I wonder what they're like going to a Bluetooth compatible device, an Nvidia Shield TV for instance? Or is Bluetooth just inherently slower?

If I get an FPGA Megadrive I'd probably go with the 8bitdo M30 2.4g, as said above its cheaper and it's comparable when it comes to lag. The Bluetooth one I've used has been pretty good, only used it with my phone so far but it feels good.

12 hours ago, Adrock said:

Also, the Bluetooth examples are having to go utilise the adapter. I wonder what they're like going to a Bluetooth compatible device, an Nvidia Shield TV for instance? Or is Bluetooth just inherently slower?

There's no perceptible lag using Bluetooth 8bitdo controllers with Retropie. I don't doubt there is some, but I've played loads of games with that setup and never noticed.

8 hours ago, ulala said:

Im going to use nothing but original controllers - got to get me that nostalia

Yup. This is me with the Master System. I can never get used to using anything other than the original MS pads, even if there is nothing wrong with anything else, and how much better they 'technically' are.

1 hour ago, NEG said:

Yup. This is me with the Master System. I can never get used to using anything other than the original MS pads, even if there is nothing wrong with anything else, and how much better they 'technically' are.

If you’re planning to use a real SMS controller with the Mega SG, then you’re  going to need to solder a pause button onto your SMS adapter.

Personally, the practicality of the MD D-pad having clearly defined cardinal directions trumps any nostalgia factor for the SMS pad. Having pause on the controller is going to be fantastic too - I have many bad memories of accidentally hitting reset when trying to pause/unpause games as a kid!

3 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

If you’re planning to use a real SMS controller with the Mega SG, then you’re  going to need to solder a pause button onto your SMS adapter.

Personally, the practicality of the MD D-pad having clearly defined cardinal directions trumps any nostalgia factor for the SMS pad. Having pause on the controller is going to be fantastic too - I have many bad memories of accidentally hitting reset when trying to pause/unpause games as a kid!

Mega SG, being the living room device wouldn't replace my proper Master System back upstairs, that's for sure. As long as tv's still support the hardware somehow, at least. I dread the day I'll need to fork out for a framemeister to connect the Master System. :(