rllmuk
Spartan

Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

Yeah everdrives will be all good. 

There will also be “unofficial” (but totally not by the same guy that wrote the official firmware, honest) firmware out in about a day that’ll play roms from the sd card slot

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, robotattack said:

Is it compatible with Everdrive? Asking for a cheap friend. :ph34r:

Can’t see any reason why not - the other Analogue devices are.

I’d say it’s not 100% clear if Master System Mode on the Mega Everdrive would work, though. Depends on whether they’re using the same mode-switching mechanism as a real MD, or something different. 

• Upvote 1

I've got a Mega Everdrive X7, which includes the FM sound support for Master System games in the actual cart. I'm hoping that'll work - I guess there's no reason why not.

4 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Can’t see any reason why not - the other Analogue devices are.

I’d say it’s not 100% clear if Master System Mode on the Mega Everdrive would work, though. Depends on whether they’re using the same mode-switching mechanism as a real MD, or something different. 

It's possible that emulated Power Base hardware will be a togglable menu option. A separate dedicated Master System core could be used to provide the native SG-1000 support in a similar way (if booting up a dedicated SG-1000 core proved a less streamlined solution).

Game Gear would have to be a separate core - but it and Master System core implementations have long been finished (and were released as part of the MT Mini JB firmware), and Kevtris's gone on record saying it'd be relatively trivial for him to theoretically port them over to the Super NT. And @NEG, Kevtris's Master System FPGA core did indeed support the FM Sound Module so it's almost guaranteed to be included in this.

It's interesting that Analogue are announcing all of this non-'jailbreak' extra core compatibility though. That's a first for them.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nick_L said:

There will also be “unofficial” (but totally not by the same guy that wrote the official firmware, honest) firmware out in about a day that’ll play roms from the sd card slot

Hmm. They weren't selling cart adapters for other systems last time, so it'll be interesting to see if this happens again.

6 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

It's possible that emulated Power Base hardware will be a togglable menu option. A separate dedicated Master System core could be used to provide the native SG-1000 support in a similar way (if booting up a dedicated SG-1000 core proved a less streamlined solution).

Game Gear would have to be a separate core - but it and Master System core implementations have long been finished (and were released as part of the MT Mini JB firmware), and Kevtris's gone on record saying it'd be relatively trivial for him to theoretically port them over to the Super NT. And @NEG, Kevtris's Master System FPGA core did indeed support the FM Sound Module so it's almost guaranteed to be included in this.

It's interesting that Analogue are announcing all of this non-'jailbreak' extra core compatibility though. That's a first for them.

Yeah, I was wondering if they’d use a dedicated core for SMS instead of the backwards compatibility built into the MD architecture. The MD’s SG1000 support (which is a subset of SMS support) isn’t quite right (colour palette issues), and of course it has no FM.

By bundling an SMS cart adaptor they can get away with saying the Power Base Converter is incompatible, and jettison the voltage-based mode shifting that the MD used altogether in favour of picking  an SMS mode from the menu, which loads a different core. However, that’ll also break SMS mode on Mega Everdrives, which relies on the voltage-based mode shift. 

9 hours ago, Nick_L said:

Also, seen as there's no assist chip or memory expansion game carts for the Megadrive, the ROM compatibility will likely be 100%. 

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Also, seen as there's no assist chip or memory expansion game carts for the Megadrive, the ROM compatibility will likely be 100%. 

Apart from the SVP chip in Virtua Racing, that is.

For notesake I think I'll be waiting till they're available to order and arrive in a week rather then in 7 months time.

I'm sure the products fine, and I'm also betting they won't be readily available off the site for a year and a half like the snes model was, but 7 months is too long a time period to put investment towards. Especially with Christmas and all sorts around the corner, and life being random in general over the past year.

Now, if someone were to gift me a order however (even as a review unit, would be happy to, both as words and YT), that would be another matter. ;)

I've preordered the controller off Amazon US. 30ish delivered end of February. Nice upgrade for my existing tower of power at least (Everdrive, 32x, Megadrive 1, Mega CD) That Megadrives been mine since 91!

4 minutes ago, ulala said:

How is this going to handle pal 50 games,

will it privide an option of running as an ntsc 60 game?

How does the SNES version cope?

You can set it to PAL or NTSC mode from a firmware menu.

7 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Hmm. They weren't selling cart adapters for other systems last time, so it'll be interesting to see if this happens again.

Good point, hadn't considered that

I'm still optimistic, lookout for that smokemonster firmware release :)

6 hours ago, NEG said:

For notesake I think I'll be waiting till they're available to order and arrive in a week rather then in 7 months time.

I'm sure the products fine, and I'm also betting they won't be readily available off the site for a year and a half like the snes model was, but 7 months is too long a time period to put investment towards. Especially with Christmas and all sorts around the corner, and life being random in general over the past year.

Now, if someone were to gift me a order however (even as a review unit, would be happy to, both as words and YT), that would be another matter. ;)

You don't pay now for the pre-order, they'll take money when it ships.

Assuming things play out exactly the same as the Super NT, best to get a pre-order in now to secure one of the first batch, as the second batch of Super NT's didn't appear for purchase for months after initial release.... 6+ months or thereabouts. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Assuming things play out exactly the same as the Super NT, best to get a pre-order in now to secure one of the first batch, as the second batch of Super NT's didn't appear for purchase for months after initial release.... 6+ months or thereabouts. 

Well in that case! ::  runs stage left to order ::

52 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I've been charged for my pre-order already

1 hour ago, ulala said:

Is it a charge, or one of those checking for funds type things?

Checked online rather than via my online banking app and you are right, it's just a pending charge. LET THE PRE-ORDERS COMMENCE!

analogue.jpg

• Upvote 1

Really? I thought I paid upfront for my Nt Mini and the Super Nt but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I paid via PayPal for those.

Edit: hmm. Maybe I did use my card?

Pre-ordering an Analogue Nt will reserve your place in line for when shipping begins. The full amount of your order total will be processed and charged when you place your pre-order. We accept pre-order cancellations at any time.

Edit 2: pre-orders charged in full at checkout.

Pre-orders
All pre-order payments are processed immediately at the time of checkout. If your item has arrived damaged from shipping, please contact us.

https://www.analogue.co/terms-conditions/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nick_L said:

Checked online rather than via my online banking app and you are right, it's just a pending charge. LET THE PRE-ORDERS COMMENCE!

analogue.jpg

I'm too fat to run back and forth like this!

(thanks for confirming though!)

Edit: Er...though the next post down says...argh!