Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

Spartan

13 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Got to agree on the case thing. The SuperNT looks like a future SNES. My friend compared the MiSTer to "The Internet in the IT Crowd".

Even that thing The Cave dude has going on doesn't look that good IMO.

no, I agree, The man cave device is certainly interesting, but you can tell the design and quality of the case is disappointing. 

the design of analogue devices is excellent, so is the Zx spectrum next.

and the ease of use compared to a mister is another win

I find trying to set up and dial in a good and properly scaled picture on both the Super NT and Mega SG to be way more of a faff than the MiSTer, which is perfectly scaled for each core out of the box. Especially as all settings are scrubbed with each firmware update, and loads of the menu is weird and unintuative with check boxes doing reverse things you'd think like the Interpolation options. 

The MiSTer is really, really, not difficult to set up, and once done it stays done. 

18 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Is it wrong that I fancy a super nt despite having a perfectly good mister set up?

I get it, the Mister is a better RPi.

The NT is like having an HDMI SNES.

Which technically they play the same things they are different experiences, especially if you don't jailbreak the NT.

If you're running roms off the NT it's less pointful.

41 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

What’s been the total hit for those who  have recently picked a super nt up?

isn’t it usually 180 ish dollars for the machine plus £40 postage to U.K. plus around £30 customs 

21 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Quick question. Can anyone confirm that the SuperNT and NT Mini Noir are all USB powered for UK use?

The MegaSg appears to be OK.

The only reason I ask is that I haven't opened the SuperNT or the NT Mini Noir yet but the boxes say 'Worldwide Power Supply US/JPN'  and not 'US/JPN/EU' or does that just refer to the usb power adapter in the box?

Nt Mini Noir is not USB powered but it comes with a universal power supply with different add-on adapters. UK users can just add the 3-pin adapter and you're ready to go.

Super Nt is USB powered and I use an Anker USB PowerPort to power that, the Mega Sg and my OSSC at the same time.

6 hours ago, ulala said:

isn’t it usually 180 ish dollars for the machine plus £40 postage to U.K. plus around £30 customs 

Last Thursday I paid £180.21  (Console and shipping). It's due tomorrow. Customs to pay still so should be about £215 all in?

16 minutes ago, filecore said:

Last Thursday I paid £180.21  (Console and shipping). It's due tomorrow. Customs to pay still so should be about £215 all in?

about that yes, a bargain!

jailbreak it ASAP 

and if you get charged a “handling fee“, pay the vat in full and do not pay the extra fee as you never agreed to that charge, you don’t have a contract.

Another Anker user here. I used to use my TV USB for the Analogue stuff, which could power the base consoles, but I hit issues when using certain peripherals that must draw more current, resulting in power drops.

I can dial in my preferred Mega SG/Super NT graphics settings in two minutes, it’s not hard. 4x or 5x integer scale, preset width settings for 16:9 screens, x interpolation enabled, y disabled, hybrid scanlines with 128 depth, gamma 1.04.

They’re not FirebrandX perfect, but they look great and take a quarter of the time to set. Life is too damn short. 

Bit of advice needed please…

I originally bought the Super NT and Mega SG with the intention of playing ROMs and re-buying all of my favourite Japanese Super Famicom and Megadrive games that I owned in the 90s. 

Anyway, the more I’ve thought about and looked into this over the last week or so, the more I’ve come to the realisation that I’m about to enter a world of pain and misery finding perfect condition examples of used games that my mild OCD will accept. 

I’ve no real wish to own the physical items (I’m fully digital for all modern day stuff) and so assuming my wish to play Starfox and Yoshi makes it worth the price is there any downside at all to buying an FXPack Pro? Do ROMs run just as well from one of those as an original cartridge would? 

(I know it would make more sense to just buy a copy of the SuperFX games I want to play but I don’t want to do that for whatever reason). 

2 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

I originally bought the Super NT and Mega SG with the intention of playing ROMs and re-buying all of my favourite Japanese Super Famicom and Megadrive games that I owned in the 90s. 

Anyway, the more I’ve thought about and looked into this over the last week or so, the more I’ve come to the realisation that I’m about to enter a world of pain and misery finding perfect condition examples of used games that my mild OCD will accept. 

I’ve no real wish to own the physical items (I’m fully digital for all modern day stuff) and so assuming my wish to play Starfox and Yoshi makes it worth the price is there any downside at all to buying an FXPack Pro? Do ROMs run just as well from one of those as an original cartridge would? 

(I know it would make more sense to just buy a copy of the SuperFX games I want to play but I don’t want to do that for whatever reason). 

stick with carts only, the sfx games are fairly cheap and the carts from Japan are usually very nice examples.

3 minutes ago, ulala said:

stick with carts only, the sfx games are fairly cheap and the carts from Japan are usually very nice examples.

Cheers. I kind of know that, but let’s just say that I’d prefer all ROMs (and I didn’t mind it being more expensive), would the FXPack Pro in a Super NT have any disadvantages over the real cartridges?

9 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

Cheers. I kind of know that, but let’s just say that I’d prefer all ROMs (and I didn’t mind it being more expensive), would the FXPack Pro in a Super NT have any disadvantages over the real cartridges?

To actually answer your question. No, there's no disadvantage to using a FXPro over the original cartidge. The assist chips are all supported with the FXPro. 

You also gain the ability MSU-1 audio rom-hacks or some rom-hacks with assist chip support added to clear up frame-rate issues. 

1 hour ago, SplashWaveUK said:

I don't know the specific cart in question but in general if it works in a SNES it'll work exactly the same in an NT (eg - the Super Gameboy, or my old 3rd party Master System convertor.).

In fact here's how good it is.  I have the GG adapter for the Mega SG.  Experimentally I stuck a GG -> SMS adapter into THAT and it works.

997334458_2021-09-0113_54_04.thumb.jpg.1426a75648fe726ad47d4b3936f42ffb.jpg

More seriously, my master system knock-off Everdrive is just as happy on that as it is on my SMS1.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

To actually answer your question. No, there's no disadvantage to using a FXPro over the original cartidge. The assist chips are all supported with the FXPro. 

You also gain the ability MSU-1 audio rom-hacks or some rom-hacks with assist chip support added to clear up frame-rate issues. 

This. Everything bar about 10 games nobody would ever dream of caring about works perfectly, plus you can play Final Fight with the Mega CD soundtrack.

On 31/08/2021 at 19:06, ulala said:

about that yes, a bargain!

jailbreak it ASAP 

and if you get charged a “handling fee“, pay the vat in full and do not pay the extra fee as you never agreed to that charge, you don’t have a contract.

Received on Wednesday. Wow, it's great.  Just had a blast through Sunset Riders. Jailbreak was a piece of cake. Only reason I broke it though was to back up some cart saves with CopySNES, which seems to have worked.  Really chuffed. What a piece of kit. 

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

I don't know the specific cart in question but in general if it works in a SNES it'll work exactly the same in an NT (eg - the Super Gameboy, or my old 3rd party Master System convertor.).

In fact here's how good it is.  I have the GG adapter for the Mega SG.  Experimentally I stuck a GG -> SMS adapter into THAT and it works.

997334458_2021-09-0113_54_04.thumb.jpg.1426a75648fe726ad47d4b3936f42ffb.jpg

The things people do in the name of science!

Thanks for the answers re the FXPack Pro guys. Sounds like that’s the way to go for me. It’s more than I’d envisaged spending at this point but the idea of one last splurge allowing me to play every SFC game I’ll almost certainly ever want to play is very very appealing. 

Now, about that Megadrive Everdrive cartridge that’ll let me play Mega CD games from memory card…

15 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

The things people do in the name of science!

Warning nerdy post.

I was actually doing it because the Game Gear is a lower resolution than the SMS and I wanted to do some capture and figure out how much difference that actually made in practice when running an SMS game through it.

It turns out though it's actually a screen only resolution drop and the setup above actually shows it at full resolution the same as just using the bundled SMS adapter so that video idea goes to hell :)

I have a much, much worse one involving a GG TV receiver...

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Warning nerdy post.

I was actually doing it because the Game Gear is a lower resolution than the SMS and I wanted to do some capture and figure out how much difference that actually made in practice when running an SMS game through it.

It turns out though it's actually a screen only resolution drop and the setup above actually shows it at full resolution the same as just using the bundled SMS adapter so that video idea goes to hell :)

I have a much, much worse one involving a GG TV receiver...

:D

14 hours ago, SplashWaveUK said:

Now, about that Megadrive Everdrive cartridge that’ll let me play Mega CD games from memory card…

The Mega Everdrive Pro is phenomenal and I love it to bits, as much as a person can love a bit of plastic and metal.

It also has Master System save-states, which all other Mega Everdrives lack! I am probably the only person who cares about this, but it's why I upgraded from my old v2/x7 unit.

I haven't played a Mega CD game yet, I'm sure I'l get around to it.