Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

Spartan

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else excited for Demons of Asteborg? It's due to release in the next few weeks and should work on the Mega SG (100% works on original hardware, developer has confirmed things look good for the Mega SG, but hasn't given the official word yet). The game appears to look a bit like Ghouls and Ghosts / Castlevania, and I think it's shaping up to be a fun one. The cart version comes with an internal battery for saves, and the game is also shipping digitally on Switch and Steam.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Good evening. None of my aunties were suitable for such a situation, but the question is; were yours?

You're the first person to mention my username. I switched a few years ago (I've never been exciting as a user, but will PM my previous name).

I'd had a few gins that night.

edit: I can't PM you for some reason. Feel free to reach out :) 

I own the DAC. 

It is good, you will get a better RGB output than any real SNES or Megadrive. 

Once it's set up, the machine boots in RGB mode and lots of the scaling options are gone, of course because you no longer need them. 

I've kept all this stuff, because it's fucking awesome but a MiSTer does it all even better, with the obvious exception of playing original carts. 

1 hour ago, ontwofronts said:

Can someone explain, as though they were talking to a child, just what the DAC does

ill be honest, I fancy a Super NT and I still have a dozen or so SNES cartridges, but how easy is it to play a rom on it?

DAC stands for "Digital to Analog Converter".

It's an extra box that you buy seperately that works with the Super NT and/or Mega SG, you plug in HDMI from the Analogue console into it and it outputs an analog video signal for your CRT. https://www.analogue.co/dac

You will need to also buy a special cable to use the "VGA-style" analog output to your intended display. I use an RGB cable to a PVM bought from here - https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/analogue/analogue-nt-mini-rgb-scart-cable-packapunch

If you don't have a CRT, then you don't need to bother with the DAC at all! The Standard machine is HDMI out of the box. 

Super NT works with every region cartridge as standard, but to run ROM's you need to install the jailbreak firmware. 

This is very safe to install, and is pretty much made by the Super NT engineer Kevin Horton, just they can't actually say that - https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak

Also, as far as i'm aware the latest jailbreak also supports all the assist chips for the SNES, so you can run almost any ROM on it. 

33 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I would still feel weird playing roms on mine and I still don't QUITE know why :P

I do have lots of carts for several machines, but love having the Smokemonster Everdrive packs on them. I almost exclusively do that. 

On a general note on ROM's, If you feel there's too much, just create a "00 - mygames" folder and copy in the ones you actually want to play which can be added to an any time. 

I usually keep 100 or so games in there that I play frequently... or a "play next" folder. 

There's so many good rom hacks and translations of thing. All the Geomon games are now playable for instance. 

The biggest thing for me is mixing region games. SO many of these 16-bit games where altered for their US/EU release to make them incredibly hard for that audience, often an initiative to act against game rentals. Play the Japanese version (sometimes with a translation hack) and have a pleasant time, the way the game was originally designed! 

I even did this recently on the Dreamcast with Code Veronica X. Japanese version with English language at the correct original easier difficulty. 

4 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I do have lots of carts for several machines, but love having the Smokemonster Everdrive packs on them. I almost exclusively do that. 

On a general note on ROM's, If you feel there's too much, just create a "00 - mygames" folder and copy in the ones you actually want to play which can be added to an any time. 

I usually keep 100 or so games in there that I play frequently... or a "play next" folder. 

There's so many good rom hacks and translations of thing. All the Geomon games are now playable for instance. 

The biggest thing for me is mixing region games. SO many of these 16-bit games where altered for their US/EU release to make them incredibly hard for that audience, often an initiative to act against game rentals. Play the Japanese version (sometimes with a translation hack) and have a pleasant time, the way the game was originally designed! 

I even did this recently on the Dreamcast with Code Veronica X. Japanese version with English language at the correct original easier difficulty. 

It's a personal hang up but on these machines that SEEM like real consoles (to me the Mega SG is just a Genesis 4) it just feels wrong to do that, it's not even a function of choice paralysis. I accept I'm an idiot.

I have an SMS everdrive but mostly it's used for homebrew and a big pile of excellent unofficial game gear to SMS ports.

28 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

It just feels really authentic with a rock solid clear picture. Lovely stuff.

I've still got the Super NT and the NT Mini Noir V2 to try yet.  Don't tell the wife 😂

Jailbreak them, and you will never look back. These consoles are perfect.

32 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

It just feels really authentic with a rock solid clear picture. Lovely stuff.

I've still got the Super NT and the NT Mini Noir V2 to try yet.  Don't tell the wife 😂

It's more compatible with Mega Drive games than a Mega Drive 2.

If you're not gonna turn it into a rombox do consider the adapters, playing JPN SMS carts and cards is an utter bitch literally any other way in the UK, it's the only region encoding the SMS has on the cards and obviously a JPN MK3 cart physically doesn't fit.

Also original GG carts on the big screen is a hell of a thing.

Oh and should you have one, (and they're not expensive to acquire) your Super NT will be very, very happy to use a real Super Game Boy.