Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

39 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Finally got round to ordering one of these, I've got a Japanese MD with an Everdrive that I can hook up to my old B & O Beovision 1 in my 'office' and despite having the option to connect it to the Main TV with a framemeister I kind of never do.

Very excited to have this easy setup and got 2 8bitdo 2.4 ghz pads with receivers.

Heartbraking thing is the FedEx delivery had the correct address but the postcode of my billing address so I've hopefully got it rerouted correctly but up to that point it was in the Kidderminster nexus of error parcels :D

Remember to dispute the inevitable £12 Fedex tax and just pay the import VAT [thumbsupgif]

6 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

Remember to dispute the inevitable £12 Fedex tax and just pay the import VAT [thumbsupgif]

Good thinking!

Also while I'm here, regarding the video side of things I just want it to look like the 'framemeister with mild scanlines' ( no jokes about 'just plug your MD in'! :D) / trinitron style so if anyone knows a close setting for that and if I should keep it in 720p or 1080p for the best look with my LG55C9 oled? Or if folk think it looks fine with vanilla settings etc?

11 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Good thinking!

Also while I'm here, regarding the video side of things I just want it to look like the 'framemeister with mild scanlines' ( no jokes about 'just plug your MD in'! :D) / trinitron style so if anyone knows a close setting for that and if I should keep it in 720p or 1080p for the best look with my LG55C9 oled? Or if folk think it looks fine with vanilla settings etc?

I suspect 720p might be better on a 4K screen - that'll give you a perfect 9x scale of the 240p content. Might depend on how your TV performs when upscaling 720p vs 1080p, mind.

A lot of people don't like scanlines on 1080p but I find it's fine, provided you're using an integer scale for the Y axis (I use 4.0x, so it doesn't quite fill the screen). If you use a non-integer scale, they can be irregular widths and it looks nasty (much like the Framemeister, from memory). Regardless, I understand they're supposed to be better in 720p.

The hybrid scanlines mode is really good - it kind of merges neighbouring scanlines for brighter sections (e.g. white text), in a similar way that natural CRT phosphor bloom would. It looks really natural and avoids the feeling of just having artificial lines drawn all over your image.

I found a later firmware update made the scanlines really dark by default though, and required some tweaking of the Scanline Sub-Brightness control. I also push the gamma up by about .1 for playing with Scanlines.

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

I suspect 720p might be better on a 4K screen - that'll give you a perfect 9x scale of the 240p content. Might depend on how your TV performs when upscaling 720p vs 1080p, mind.

A lot of people don't like scanlines on 1080p but I find it's fine, provided you're using an integer scale for the Y axis (I use 4.0x, so it doesn't quite fill the screen). If you use a non-integer scale, they can be irregular widths and it looks nasty (much like the Framemeister, from memory). Regardless, I understand they're supposed to be better in 720p.

The hybrid scanlines mode is really good - it kind of merges neighbouring scanlines for brighter sections (e.g. white text), in a similar way that natural CRT phosphor bloom would. It looks really natural and avoids the feeling of just having artificial lines drawn all over your image.

I found a later firmware update made the scanlines really dark by default though, and required some tweaking of the Scanline Sub-Brightness control. I also push the gamma up by about .1 for playing with Scanlines.

That's Ace, thanks for that! I'll be putting the smokemonster custom firmware jailbreak on it immediately :)

3 minutes ago, merrychan said:

That's Ace, thanks for that! I'll be putting the smokemonster custom firmware jailbreak on it immediately :)

The really big advantage of the Mega SG over the Framemeister when it comes to scaling is the variable horizontal resolutions the MD uses - the Mega SG lets you set different horizontal scaling factors for 320px and 256px width content, so it's great for games that switch between the two. Always hated dealing with that on the Framemeister, it made the MD much more of a faff than the fixed-resolution SNES.

55 minutes ago, merrychan said:

These are the best settings for everything. Just make sure you update the console first as it doesn't save them during update:

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

Good thinking!

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

I also own an LG OLED, and the inbuilt scaler is fucking incredible. The best I've ever seen in any TV.

If you think scan lines work and look best at 720p, don't be afraid to use that resolution and let the TV scale. 

The setting that Lorfarius posted are the Firebrand X ones for 1080p resolution, and they're spot on! 

I personally don't use scan lines on any flat panel, so I prefer the 1080p settings. 

So, with the delight of Brexit looming (and the fun of endless COVID) I thought I might as well treat myself while I could...

20201028_120014_copy_1024x1274.thumb.jpg.95820f3299e28bef68f6f305711b969c.jpg

Looking forward to hooking it up tonight! On a completely unrelated note, what's the going rate for a Mega Drive set up with a 50/60hz/Jap/Eng toggle switch these days?

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

So, with the delight of Brexit looming (and the fun of endless COVID) I thought I might as well treat myself while I could...

20201028_120014_copy_1024x1274.thumb.jpg.95820f3299e28bef68f6f305711b969c.jpg

Looking forward to hooking it up tonight! On a completely unrelated note, what's the going rate for a Mega Drive set up with 50/60hz and Jap/Eng toggle switches these days?

You dont need one, with a mega sg at your disposal.

£50 seems to be the going rate

Super excited that my Mega Sg could be leaving the FedEx abyss that is Kidderminster and maybe actually get delivered, also I reckon in buying it I've taken one for the team and they'll announce a revised model this week with 2.4ghz internal support and all :D

On 28/10/2020 at 17:56, merrychan said:

Super excited that my Mega Sg could be leaving the FedEx abyss that is Kidderminster and maybe actually get delivered, also I reckon in buying it I've taken one for the team and they'll announce a revised model this week with 2.4ghz internal support and all :D

the 8bitdo dongle is fine

1 hour ago, ulala said:

the 8bitdo dongle is fine

Plus you have the added advantage that you can use it with a real Megadrive, if you're ever so inclined.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally took delivery of the MegaSg and my word what a piece of kit it is! I spent a bit of time with the various Firebrandx settings and ended up finding the 720p ones to be the best with hybrid scanlines at 64 sub brightness. This is just on a 2007 LCD 720p TV but it looks phenomenal and plays great with the M30 2.4ghz pads.

37 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Finally took delivery of the MegaSg and my word what a piece of kit it is! I spent a bit of time with the various Firebrandx settings and ended up finding the 720p ones to be the best with hybrid scanlines at 64 sub brightness. This is just on a 2007 LCD 720p TV but it looks phenomenal and plays great with the M30 2.4ghz pads.

welcome to the future!

2 hours ago, merrychan said:

Remember to use all of the settings I linked on the 23rd Oct for the ultimate MD setup!

28 minutes ago, Dudley said:

This does remind to ask.

There's a few Master System games that don't work with Mega Drive control pads.

Is this still the case with the SG and its adapter?

I believe all SMS games work fine on the Mega SG whilst using MD controllers. No ROM patching required.

Games which rely on SG-1000 video modes to work (such as F-16 Fighting Falcon) also work fine.

And SMS games have Pause button functionality routed to the Start button too.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Remember to use all of the settings I linked on the 23rd Oct for the ultimate MD setup!

So in addition to Hybrid Scanlines at a sub brightness of 64 I went with:

MD:

-- FirebrandX 720p, square for 320
* set horizontal pos=27, vertical pos=39
320: 1020x720 disable HV
256: 931x720 enable H, disable V

Aside from that I just changed the MD audio to:

Panning : -100/+100

From the params that default to +-84

The other sound stuff didn't quite match up, is Square 1-4 now Square 1-3 & Noise?

SMS:

-- FirebrandX 720p:
*set horizontal pos=25, vertical pos=44
877x720 enable H, disable V