rllmuk
Spartan

Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

Does anyone know how to save a game on a jailbroken system? Its tells me to go into the menu (so down + start) where the option should appear. But there's nothing.

10 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Does anyone know how to save a game on a jailbroken system? Its tells me to go into the menu (so down + start) where the option should appear. But there's nothing.

You can only save on games that originally had cart saves

On 05/04/2019 at 15:08, bwi said:

Got mine today......but it doesnt seem to like my hdmi splitter for some reason. Nothing has ever had a problem with it before, (snes mini, PS mini ps4 and xbox one).

Looks like i have to do a rewire to get it working on my setup :(

I'm having the same issue with a Monoprice Non-powered HDMI Switch / splitter. My receiver detects a signal but no video or audio comes across. It works fine directly connected to my receiver though. My best guess is that when the Mega SG boots up it queries the TV for display resolutions. Perhaps with the switch in the middle, the Mega SG is unable to retrieve this list of resolutions so it doesn't send a signal. If this is the case, a quick firmware fix would be to allow an option to force a resolution if none are detected, of course with adding a reset button combo so someone doesn't lock themselves out of a usable video mode. I emailed Analogue and received the below as a reply. Hopefully they can fix this, just glad I am not alone!

"Really appreciate the considerate documentation of the Monoprice Blackbird Switch here. We will look up its specifications and work on implementing its support in the upcoming firmware update."

I suppose its good that they are hopefully going to look into it. Never replied to me when i sent a query but hopefully with you sending plenty of information to them something can be worked out.

On 06/05/2019 at 16:02, bwi said:

I suppose its good that they are hopefully going to look into it. Never replied to me when i sent a query but hopefully with you sending plenty of information to them something can be worked out.

I gave them all the details I could think to include as well as a link to the switch that was giving me issues. I also suggested a possible solution so we'll see

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

Nothing beyond the pic saying “coming 2019”

i wonder if they will ever see a release

24 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Yeah man the GameGear one especially would be dope as hell.

Thats the one im after too, as its an awful experience to play on my gamegear, it needs recapping but will never be ideal. 

If i can get the quality that the mastersystem convertor provides, it would be great - especially for £10

Fairly sure they'll see release, but Kevtris The Mysterious Jailbreaker might have killed some of the demand with the jailbreak. I certainly doubt I'll bother getting one now.

13 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Fairly sure they'll see release, but Kevtris The Mysterious Jailbreaker might have killed some of the demand with the jailbreak. I certainly doubt I'll bother getting one now.

That just lets you play the ROMs though doesn't it? There's no slot on top for GG carts.

14 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

That just lets you play the ROMs though doesn't it? There's no slot on top for GG carts.

Yup, just the ROMs, so it won't kill the demand from actual collectors. But it will kill the demand from "maybe I'll pick that up and cherry pick a few games/buy an Everdrive" bods like me.

I really want to order one of these but the importing (to the UK) horror stories are putting me off. What's the "real" total you expect to pay ordering one for UK delivery? Did anyone get one without paying import duty/tax??

49 minutes ago, Loada said:

I really want to order one of these but the importing (to the UK) horror stories are putting me off. What's the "real" total you expect to pay ordering one for UK delivery? Did anyone get one without paying import duty/tax??

It'll be about £45 if you get one off eBay and they charge it at checkout if it comes from the US.

11 hours ago, Loada said:

I had £40 to pay DHL after delivery

13 hours ago, Loada said:

You have to pay $189 to analogue plus delivery, which was about $50

If they are still using DHL to deliver, when it comes into the UK DHL will pay your import duty for you on entry into the UK (so it gets delivered in time) but after a few days they will invoice you for the customs charge around £30 plus their "handling fee" of £12.

There is no way around this.

However, you can write to DHL and get the handling fee removed, and just pay the import duty you owe. (thanks to the poster in this forum for the great tip).

So its an expensive business: $240 plus £30 = so at the moment its £220 all in, minimum.

Is it worth it?

If you have lots of games on carts, YES! 

A cheaper alternative to play carts via HDMI is a Mega Retron, £50 all in

Otherwise just use a PI or wait until the Megadrive Mini.

4 minutes ago, ulala said:

If you have lots of games on carts, YES! 

...or if you have an Everdrive. Or if you want to jailbreak it. Maybe it's me, but I really can't lump a MegaSG (or a SuperNT) in the same boat as a Raspberry Pi or the upcoming Megadrive Mini because it isn't using a software emulator to run your games - it's the original hardware recreated using FPGA technology and directly outputting HD video. And it's bloody fantastic.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Zio said:

...or if you have an Everdrive. Or if you want to jailbreak it. Maybe it's me, but I really can't lump a MegaSG (or a SuperNT) in the same boat as a Raspberry Pi or the upcoming Megadrive Mini because it isn't using a software emulator to run your games - it's the original hardware recreated using FPGA technology and directly outputting HD video. And it's bloody fantastic.

It’s pointless getting an everdrive for a Mega Sg, the jailbreak allows you to play roms (aside from virtual racing) from sd card

Im a fully paid up member of the FPGA fan club, after all I paid my entry fee with the Mega SG. But it’s still emulation. It might be hardware emulation or “recreation”, but it’s still emulation. It’s still running a software program to tell the FPGA to act like a megadrive would. There are still faults in that software program.

it still has to run tricks to get the scrolling to work smoothly on a pixel screen rather than crt, or add scan lines, or run/ stretch at different resolutions. Yes, it’s a very good recreation, but so are some of the software emulators too. 

Ive found it difficult to think about this, is it emulation? Could a software emulator be created that works better and more accurately than a mega Sg ? Yes.

If you just want to run roms on it, a pc or pi or megadrive mini will do this 99% as good as the mega sg.

The biggest advantage the mega sg has, is running data from carts or the mega cd. To get that real nostalgia factor, using your game collection rather than just looking at it.

2 hours ago, ulala said:

It’s pointless getting an everdrive for a Mega Sg, the jailbreak allows you to play roms (aside from virtual racing) from sd card

IMO yes, absolutely. The Jailbreak makes the Everdrive null and void and is infact easier to use than sticking with the official firmware and using an Everdrive. 

I have both, and I now just use my Everdrive in my real Genesis and just load roms on the Mega SG with the jailbreak firmware. 

Works great. 

4 hours ago, ulala said:

Oh totally. I already had an Everdrive when I bought my MegaSG and am still using since I’ve not gotten around to jail breaking yet, but certainly I can’t imagine there’d be any point buying an Everdrive to use with a MegaSG. The same isn’t true of the SuperNT however (though I appreciate we’re not talking about that here).

5 hours ago, ulala said:

But it’s still emulation. It might be hardware emulation or “recreation”, but it’s still emulation. It’s still running a software program to tell the FPGA to act like a megadrive would. There are still faults in that software program.

it still has to run tricks to get the scrolling to work smoothly on a pixel screen rather than crt, or add scan lines, or run/ stretch at different resolutions. Yes, it’s a very good recreation, but so are some of the software emulators too. 

Yeah, I guess it’s true the FPGA is configured via firmware, but it’s not the same thing as emulation. You are correct that there can be faults in the implementation of the FPGA and these can be corrected with updated firmware. Ultimately though, it’s still running Megadrive code through hardware like a real Megadrive would, with complete cycle accuracy as opposed to the tricks a software emulator would employ for speed, particularly on lower-end hardware like a Raspberry Pi.

As for the tricks to get the scrolling to run smoothly, are you referring to the very, very slight ‘overclock’ it employs to maintain an exact 60Hz? Real Megadrive hardware outputs video at 59.something Hz, which was fine on CRT televisions but causes issues with HDTVs and upscalers. The MegaSG employs a very, very slight ‘overclock’ to maintain 60Hz without adding input lag. Purists can even disable this, but personally I find it a pretty good way to get around it (having had problems using my real NTSC Megadrive on modern TVs in the past).

I dunno... For most people I guess an emulator would be all they need. For me though, with my Everdrive, handful of remaining real cartridges (including Virtua Racing!), I love it and kind of resent the implication that it’s only worthwhile if you have hundreds of real cartridges you insist on using. The minimal input lag alone puts it beyond a lot of emulation solutions I’ve tried and is actually better to play on an HDTV than my genuine Megadrive, so it’s always felt like a great purchase to me. If I ever get around to fixing up my old Mega CD (or even just buying another), it’ll have been even more worthwhile.

It's an odd thing, serving a niche of a niche of a niche. The audience for this machine must be vanishingly small, even with a very specific target audience: Gen Xers who are into retro, who also have great memories of the MD and are willing to spend a premium rather than play their childhood games on their Android device, or a KO machine, or original hardware, or the upcoming MD mini, or their PC/Mac, all of which are several magnitudes easier to access, and cheaper. 

In a few years, the target audience will have moved on, leaving interested parties left in dwindling numbers. This is a rare and odd moment - using incredibly complex new tech to emulate the past, like making a Spinning Jenny out of Graphene. 

Naturally, this will now happen over and over again for every old piece of desired tech, but it will swiftly move out of the nostalgia zone 'we' are interested in, onto stuff we have no stake in. 

If you've any interest whatsoever in this, jump on it right away. It was made with only a comparatively tiny number of people in mind, and we are they :)

• Upvote 2

A new firmware is out, 4.5 which is also available in Jailbreak form

very interested in this:

> Scanlines have been totally redone. There are now more options to tweak and width is now adjustable