rllmuk
Spartan

Mega SG - New FPGA Console from Analogue

:omg::omg::omg:

Day 1 purchase. Japanese style with the blue button. The site's tits up at the moment, though.

I think the 32X is basically impossible as it relies on analogue loopback. You'd either have to implement the thing as part of the main console (probably doubling the work required, the FPGA space needed and the cost), or deal with upscaling analogue video (also a no). Not Kevtris's fault, Sega's crappy decisions from the 90s.

2 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

The cart adaptors are intriguing. I wonder if they'd be able to make a cart adaptor for the Super NT to let it play Famicom/NES/Gameboy stuff?

The Megadrive/Genesis was always hardware backwards compatible with the Master System though. 

2 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

The cart adaptors are intriguing. I wonder if they'd be able to make a cart adaptor for the Super NT to let it play Famicom/NES/Gameboy stuff?

I'd imagine you'd need new cores installed on it for that to happen. The mega drive as I remember had a z80 processor built-in, that's probably been incorporated as part of the fpga build already, allowing the code for the master system and game gear to run.

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The Megadrive/Genesis was always hardware backwards compatible with the Master System though. 

But not with the Game Gear, which has a unique pallette.

10 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'd imagine you'd need new cores installed on it for that to happen. The mega drive as I remember had a z80 processor built-in, that's probably been incorporated as part of the fpga build already, allowing the code for the master system and game gear to run.

The SNES CPU is a 6502 variant, same as the NES - the original SFC design had a Famicom slot on it until very late in development. It's part of the reason why the SNES ended up with comparatively weak CPU.

Also, the NT Mini, running on a smaller FPGA, could turn itself into just about anything 8-bit with Kevtris's alternative cores, regardless of CPU architecture. Assuming the Super NT's design is similarly flexible, then it should be a breeze. Analogue have basically indicated the NT Mini is too expensive to make, and an elegant solution could be to sell a Super NT conversion kit - cart and (optional) controller port adaptor to make it into a NES. I always suspected the limited jailbreak for the Super NT (in comparison to the NT Mini) was a commercial decision.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Kenyon said:

It's one of the mirrors we are using while DNS is sorted — whole site had to be moved.

Thanks

that site does everything but allow me to order 

Yeah - if its anything like their previous products (and I'm sure it is) they'll keep this pre-order phase open for a length of time then manufacture enough to fill those orders.