rllmuk
Strafe

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (No Man’s Starfox)

11 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

Is it also correct that the joypad dongle that your ship uses is wired, needing a usb connection?

Only on PS4. Its wireless on Switch  (and Bone as well I think).

On 22/10/2018 at 10:06, bm said:

I keep bumping into Outlaws who absolutely rinse me - this is on the planet where the Prime has been downed before you get there. Am I upgrading wrong? Am I shit? How do I know what weapons work best without having to keep swapping one in for another and seeing. 

I am enjoying it but fuck knows what's going on. 

I'm having similar problems to this. The difficulty level is all over the place. Mostly, it's nicely judged with enemies getting better as I get tougher. But occasionally I'll enter a fight and get absolutely battered in seconds. And I can't really tell why.

The game gives you so little feedback (or maybe so much feedback I can't comprehend it under pressure) as to why you're failing that I don't know whether I should give the fight another go or ditch that quest until I've levelled up a bit. But then how much should I level up? I have no idea.

Anyone planning on buying this should consider the following, I reckon:

This is a really good fun game for about five hours and you'll be thinking that the criticisms and reviews seem harsh because movement feels excellent and combat is fun. It opens up a couple of times and you'll probably be thinking 'great, it's got lots of systems to pick and choose from' and then you play a bit more and it opens up another couple of layers and you realise that while it does have a lot to do, it's predominantly busywork. There's no particular structure or drive or motivation to the bulk of the gameplay. It has a certain charm and a cozy atmosphere but it plateaus early and you're left with a lot of pretty shallow repetition. 

• Upvote 4

On 24/11/2018 at 11:09, Twinbee said:

So, would the starter set (at £35), with no intention to buy any extra ships etc, be a decent value Xmas present for my 11 year old?

I'd say so, yes. The game is entirely playable with just the base set. Whilst the fact that there's a bit of stuff locked out in the game, none of it is essential, you just can't experiment as much as you would if the game was 'complete'. None of the story/mission based stuff is locked out though, you can do everything with just the base set.

And what you lose in extra guns you do, for the purposes of gift-giving, gain in good quality plastic tat. The toys themselves are really good quality, have a nice heft and look really good. I'd say ten/eleven years old is a good age for the game. Plenty of time to play it (there's a lot of stuff to do), smart enough to really get into the modding system but still young enough to enjoy the Saturday-morning-cartoon plot and characters.

• Upvote 1

I've just finished this and I quite enjoyed it. I can't disagree with Stanshall's opinions of it except to say that whilst it is shallow and quite repetitive, it is a very generous game where the core gameplay of fly and fight are consistently fun.

It has a ton of good ideas, mostly nicked from Breath of the Wild and No Man's Sky, with a nice 4X/RTS system that admittedly never quite gels together but that nonetheless makes the star system feel alive.

The script and voice acting are pretty good and (apart from the mono-voiced Outlaws) never get annoying. There's the occasional really good joke in there as well, especially from the Starfox story where the voice actors are particularly good.

I was in Smyths this morning to pickup my Smash Bros order and THAT SONG was playing out of their little demo station for Starlink.

I bought Starlink as it’s only £25.  I’m such a sucker for Starfox.

No extra toys coz I don’t know what I want or need.  I don’t need anything - I have an Arwing.

5 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

If you buy the physical version, can you only get other ships in the game by buying the physical toys?

Nope it's all available digitally.  I've not checked myself yet but apparently there's a "Digital Pack" of all the extra stuff, or buying things individually.  The individual price of stuff on the store is apparently half that of the physical so, at the moment, Smyths' price for physical packs is the same as the digital pricing.  Hope that makes sense.  I looked it all up as I wasn't sure if I should buy a couple of guns or something whilst there, but I don't feel the need to have the physical bits.  Except the Arwing, obvs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Nope it's all available digitally.  I've not checked myself yet but apparently there's a "Digital Pack" of all the extra stuff, or buying things individually.  The individual price of stuff on the store is apparently half that of the physical so, at the moment, Smyths' price for physical packs is the same as the digital pricing.  Hope that makes sense.  I looked it all up as I wasn't sure if I should buy a couple of guns or something whilst there, but I don't feel the need to have the physical bits.  Except the Arwing, obvs.

Thanks, that makes sense! Does it make the game a bit boring though if you’re just stuck with one ship and the weapons in the starter pack?

I don’t really want to spend any more money on the game, and don’t want any of the extra toys and bits.

24 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

Thanks, that makes sense! Does it make the game a bit boring though if you’re just stuck with one ship and the weapons in the starter pack?

I don’t really want to spend any more money on the game, and don’t want any of the extra toys and bits.

No idea! I’ve not fired it up yet. But for £25 I felt it was worth a punt.  I may get a couple of weapon sets or something.  I don’t care, I have an Arwing :wub:

The digital base back contains a lot more stuff but I’m not sure how much that costs as not had a chance to check.

If I buy the boxed Switch version (want the Arwing) do I have to put the Arwing ship model on the controller to use it?  It says it comes with the digital verison of the default ship so is that all I can use unless I carry the modcels around?

On 10/12/2018 at 15:31, Bob Sacamano said:

If I buy the boxed Switch version (want the Arwing) do I have to put the Arwing ship model on the controller to use it?  It says it comes with the digital verison of the default ship so is that all I can use unless I carry the modcels around?

Nope - you can select you want to “play digitally” - it knows what is in the starter kit so it’s all unlocked.  You don’t need to carry stuff around.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sprite said:

Nope - you can select you want to “play digitally” - it knows what is in the starter kit so it’s all unlocked.  You don’t need to carry stuff around.

Great! So if I buy the PS4 version on disc with plastic tat I can stick the tat in a cupboard and never touch it again but still play the game?

6 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Great! So if I buy the PS4 version on disc with plastic tat I can stick the tat in a cupboard and never touch it again but still play the game?

I assume it's the same - the Switch definitely has this option.

• Upvote 1

I cant believe how quickly this has tanked. They must have lost a small fortune on it. I'm surprised they haven't slashed the digital version in the pre-xmas sales to get as much back as possible.