rllmuk
Strafe

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (No Man’s Starfox)

Just now, Strafe said:

The combat is very Starfox.

I take it back about the toys. I just made gave my Arwing 6 wings. Amazing!

That’s not an industry-standard Arwing and I proclaim it non-canon!

• Upvote 1

Sorry for being a berk, but I'm sure I've missed the pop-up somewhere: How do you do a barrel roll? 

I'm enjoying my first couple of hours with it, but there is a *lot* to take in.

Your level is dependent on the pilot, right? So if you’re a level 3 pilot against level 7 enemies you’ll get battered but if you’re a level 7 vs level 7 then you’re fine?

Is there a quicker way to level up pilots? I wouldn’t mind swapping them around but it appears to limit you massively during the campaign.

Also, is there a way to see what level a mission is before you go and tackle it? 

Frame rate is pretty solid for the most part. There’s reduced detail (and probably draw distance) from what I’ve seen of other platforms but the Arwing and Fox are worth 3 million polygons, easy.

Clocked the main game and the Starfox story. Have another story thread to clock. Not sure how many hours I’ve played, I’ve battered it a fair bit. It definitely isn’t an Assasins Creed second life though.

Is this DOA or just nobody talking about it? I ended up getting the digital edition from the US eShop and it seems like there's plenty of options in that standard bundle.

The actual game is a mixed bag so far. The space combat and low flying traversal feels great, really smooth and snappy. It's remarkably NMS in environmental design and colour palette but both more varied in aesthetics and more basic and sparse in stuff to interact with. I'm enjoying flying around shooting stuff I come across but I feel no pull from the half a dozen quests on my plate already. I'm not sure who described it as BotW in space but that it ain't.

I will probably have to go along with the story stuff to give it a proper chance to show its best sides. There's obviously loads to do but it's basically either fetch or destroy. Characters and story are not intriguing in any way so far. It's basically resting on the strength of the flying and shooting at this point but not sure how long that will last. 

I thought it was great. The story is rather basic but if you liked Titan AE and have fond memories of saturday morning sci fi cartoons then there’s a lot to like.

It plays well, there’s plenty of stuff to do and a rather big solar system to explore.

It does sometimes let itself down on telling you what you’re supposed to do and there’s a couple of bugs in the audio (lines from characters after an event has passed etc) but other than that it’s compelling.

Great shooting. Plays brilliantly I found, couldn’t stay off it.

I dig the Corneria remix.

Credits music is cool as well. Which is a good thing as my name is in them (I contributed to the Dutch localization of the game and Ubi is decent enough to give you credit for it). :)

• Upvote 2

It's too expensive unfortunately and the toys are likely a massive turnoff. I only went for it after reading you could go all digital and even then only after reading that the US eShop was twenty five quid cheaper or something.

That said, I've been really really enjoying it and getting into the loop. I've started to realise what does what and how to upgrade and it's got an almost clicker kind of compulsion to the loop. That sounds awful but it's more in the sense that the more you do, the more you unlock and upgrade, the better your rewards. It's satisfying to mix up different mission types and there's always something different to do. The feel is excellent and combat is a lot of fun, indeed. 

• Upvote 1

I keep bumping into Outlaws who absolutely rinse me - this is on the planet where the Prime has been downed before you get there. Am I upgrading wrong? Am I shit? How do I know what weapons work best without having to keep swapping one in for another and seeing. 

I am enjoying it but fuck knows what's going on. 

Can anyone give their thoughts on how child friendly (in terms of difficulty) this game is?  Think my 8 year old and 5 year old may like this but I'm a little concerned that it may be too hard for them.

Also, anyone have any experience with the 2 player / co-op controller thing they sell with this?

Thanks

I paid $60 for digital and after a few hours really got in to the swing of it. Finished the main campaign and really enjoyed it. 

Personally, was pleased not to faff around with the toys - I play on the commute mainly - but the game itself is good fun. 

7 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It was at Currys.. But they've bumped it up to 39.99

Cheers. I’ve seen it at £39.99 in a few places. I think I’ll chance it and wait for another reduction. Half price in a month though! 

2 minutes ago, boybrown said:

Cheers. I’ve seen it at £39.99 in a few places. I think I’ll chance it and wait for another reduction. Half price in a month though! 

Yeah 34.99 was my sweet spot. Can see it dropping again easily.

27 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Yeah 34.99 was my sweet spot. Can see it dropping again easily.

I've just been into a store and it scanned through at £34.99 even though the website states £39.99. Don't bother going to the Lakeside branch as I bought the last copy.

The Argos a few doors down had it in stock for £39.99 though. That's the nephews Christmas present sorted then.

I’d like to get the digital version of this as the toys are just unwanted tat (for me) The fact that they released a digital version is great but the pricing is just insane. Is it also correct that the joypad dongle that your ship uses is wired, needing a usb connection?