Strafe

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (No Man’s Starfox)

7 hours ago, Retroguy said:

Whoever designed the toys and bits for this is an idiot- surely the plastic part which goes over the controller should free stand as a way of displaying/storing the model you’re using?

And the Nadir (Shaid’s ship) doesn’t even lie flat with the wings on, instead it rests at an angle on the weakest part, a tiny little flap which bends and looks liable to snap at any moment. Instead you have to turn that wing upside down and it just about lies flat with a weapon on it. Stupid.

Agreed, but alongside unofficial 3D printed offerings, there's this:
https://store.ubi.com/us/starlink--battle-for-atlas-tm--–-display-stand/5b51ec5e29e123372c6f49e6.html?lang=en_US

8 hours ago, hub2 said:

Is this suitable for a 7 year old? My nephew got a switch for Christmas and I think he might like the toy component as well as the game.

Edit: I'm thinking this starter edition: https://www.amazon.com/Starlink-Battle-Atlas-Nintendo-Switch-Starter/dp/B07DF43L23

If so, is there another ship/pilot I should get wit it?

Stick with the starter set. It's got everything you'd need. If he likes it then get more ships... They'll only be getting cheaper (I think).

9 hours ago, hub2 said:

Is this suitable for a 7 year old? My nephew got a switch for Christmas and I think he might like the toy component as well as the game.

Edit: I'm thinking this starter edition: https://www.amazon.com/Starlink-Battle-Atlas-Nintendo-Switch-Starter/dp/B07DF43L23

If so, is there another ship/pilot I should get wit it?

The starter pack is fine on it’s own.

However, part of the game is supposed to be mixing different weapon types and the base game only comes with Fire and Frost weapon models plus a digital only Kinetic weapon.

If you buy the Crusher & Shredder weapons pack, that will get you a Gravity weapon and a better Kinetic weapon (with the model). You can then get the Neptune starship which comes with the only available Stasis weapon model available.

That’ll mean you have a model for every weapon class in the game, two ships and three pilots.

10 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

The starter pack is fine on it’s own.

However, part of the game is supposed to be mixing different weapon types and the base game only comes with Fire and Frost weapon models plus a digital only Kinetic weapon.

If you buy the Crusher & Shredder weapons pack, that will get you a Gravity weapon and a better Kinetic weapon (with the model). You can then get the Neptune starship which comes with the only available Stasis weapon model available.

That’ll mean you have a model for every weapon class in the game, two ships and three pilots.

Yeah, definitely get a weapons pack or another ship. The Switch version gives you an extra pilot (Fox) but removes a weapon (can’t remember the name, but I believe it’s a basic laser). HOWEVER!! The Arwing, unlike the other ships I believe, has a default laser if you don’t add a weapon to that wing, so it negates the need to get a laser/gun weapon.

Big part of the fun my 8 year old has is swapping the weapons and wings to make a customised ship - as well as changing weapons for specific parts in the game.

BUT!!! I don’t believe you need to buy weapons or ships to get further in the game, it just makes it easier (and more fun) - for example attacking fire enemies with an ice weapon etc.

As they’re so cheap, getting a weapon pack would be recommended, just go for a pack that doesn’t contain ice or fire weapons as they come with the Switch starter pack.

It's such a pity that the toys nonsense has made this game such a flop commercially.  The actual gameplay is great fun.

1 hour ago, bum said:

It's such a pity that the toys nonsense has made this game such a flop commercially.  The actual gameplay is great fun.

I wonder which platform has sold the most?

I played this for a short while, bought it on Switch, and I can already tell exactly how repetitive it's going to get.

I've given up on it.

Thanks for those above for the advice. Starlink Switch Starter Pack, with Crusher/Shredder, and Eli Arborwood (just picked randomly - hope it's good), on the way!

For anyone with kids this is actually pretty good in split screen co-op. Had great fun with it this afternoon.

Definitely has that Ubisoft open world/collectothon element to it though. 

I picked this up despite not really needing any more plastic tat and I'm a bit conflicted. On one hand it's charming as fuck and the Starfox stuff is ace and all the open world Ubisoft Patented Busywork Nonsense™ is compulsive and I dig it, and on the other what the fuck were they thinking releasing Toys To Life stuff after even LEGO failed at it?

Still, I took someone's advice about the guns and bought the pack and ship that gives you the spread that you need (as long as Argos come through for me). It looks a bit janky full screen on switch but like I say it's charming as shit.

12 hours ago, Gord said:

What ship and guns are those? 

I can't find the post ATM but it was the crusher and shredder pack and the Neptune ship as that's got the gravity weapon I think. Also I wanted to buy more plastic tat I don't need because I'm my own worst enemy.