Strafe

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (No Man’s Starfox)

3 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

I'm surprised they haven't slashed the digital version in the ore-xmas sales to get as much back as possible. 

Thats what I’m waiting for. It’s still £70 on the eShop! If they drop it, I’ll dive in - can’t be long now surely!?

19 hours ago, rgraves said:

Thats what I’m waiting for. It’s still £70 on the eShop! If they drop it, I’ll dive in - can’t be long now surely!?

I really doubt it’ll hit £17.99 though, maybe £39.99 if you’re lucky.  You may as well get the pack and just “play digitally” - I haven’t even taken my Arwing out the box yet as I need to find it a home :) 

1 minute ago, shirubagan said:

This is £19.99 on Amazon. I’m returning the one I bought from them for £29.99 not even a week ago. 

You could just ask for a refund first to save you the fuss.  I’ve had retailers oblige without issue - not done it specifically with amazon though.

1 hour ago, sprite said:

I really doubt it’ll hit £17.99 though, maybe £39.99 if you’re lucky.  You may as well get the pack and just “play digitally” - I haven’t even taken my Arwing out the box yet as I need to find it a home :) 

Oh yeah, I’m not expecting it to hit £20, but anything under £40 and I’d be in. £70 was taking the piss at launch, and is even more so now.

Just put it on sale Ubi!

And yes, the physical pack is tempting at £18, but I’m totally digital - don’t want to carry any carts around with me at all. I’ll pay a premium for that, but not the current one!

So anyone got any input on which version to go for? Switch has quite a bit of extra content which by all accounts is very well done, but (and there’s always a but) it apparently doesn’t run anywhere near as well as the Xbox version. Basically has anyone played the switch one and noticed the performance to be game spoiling?! 

14 minutes ago, womble9 said:

So anyone got any input on which version to go for. Switch has quite a bit of extra content which by all accounts is very well done, but (and there’re always a but) it doesn’t run anywhere near as well as the Xbox version. Basically anyone played the switch one and notice performance to be game spoiling?! 

Real talk, I forgot that the Starfox stuff wasn't the main quest. Without that role play element, this is pretty devoid of personality. I wouldn't buy it. I got five really great hours out of it, five more going through the same motions and I've not touched it since. It looks OK in handheld on the Switch but pretty rough on the telly. I wouldn't even consider getting a version without the Starfox stuff, though. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sprite said:

You could just ask for a refund first to save you the fuss.  I’ve had retailers oblige without issue - not done it specifically with amazon though.

Tried that first. CS said to return and re-purchase. They instantly refunded the £29.99 to a gift card so I could buy the cheaper one. I did say it’s a colossal waste of delivery mileage and packaging :( 

3 hours ago, rgraves said:

Oh yeah, I’m not expecting it to hit £20, but anything under £40 and I’d be in. £70 was taking the piss at launch, and is even more so now.

Just put it on sale Ubi!

And yes, the physical pack is tempting at £18, but I’m totally digital - don’t want to carry any carts around with me at all. I’ll pay a premium for that, but not the current one!

You also get more content in the base digital pack, so that's something too :) I wanted an Arwing though :P 

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Tried that first. CS said to return and re-purchase. They instantly refunded the £29.99 to a gift card so I could buy the cheaper one. I did say it’s a colossal waste of delivery mileage and packaging :( 

That's genuinely ridiculous :( 

• Empathy 2

A bit more hassle perhaps, but you could just try ordering another one at the reuduced price and then return that as your original am game purchase?

I’m fairly sure they let you return in store. 

Ordered this as a present for my 8 year old son's Christmas. I briefly said to him "I think there's a new Starfox game out", he corrected me that it was Starlink, but it had Starfox stuff in it. And how from the adverts it looked really awesome. 

So I'm going to presume that the kids have seen it, it's just that they're not buying it. Which i understand as what under 10 year old is going to spend £60 on a game, unless it's something like FIFA.

Anyway, I'll probably pick up a couple more guns or something to add to it, as he said it looked cool being able to swap bits of the ships and stuff.

I'm actually looking quite forward to playing it as it's been ages since I've played a good space opera type game, like Wing Commander.

• Upvote 1

I did the bad thing and got the starter pack for £20 from Game. They had a big pile of the XBone and PS4 versions in the middle of the shop for £20, but they didn't have the Switch version for that price as far as I could see :( The first thing I did after buying it was to casually check Instagram, only to see that one of my friends had just posted pics of the Switch version Starfox figures! So I was immediately hit with buyer's remorse. Still, the game looks neat and I'm looking forward to playing it. Might get the Switch version some other time if stays this cheap.

So my 8 year old son got this for Christmas and I can’t give any impressions  on actually playing the game (because he’s been playing it for a couple of hours), but I’ll give some initial thoughts having watched him play... 

First up, this is the first Ubi Soft game I’ve played in years that isn’t one of their “casual” games (the last was Zombi U) and while it looks like there’s some amazing bits of gameplay in the game, there’s a couple things that really stand out (in a negative way..)

The game seems to be huge with the ability to go anywhere in the open world (fly up from anplanet’s surface and go anywhere in the solar system, pretty cool). But compared to something like Breath of the Wild where the story unfolded through natural exploration (and being encouraged to explore, but being limited - in a way - by your current abilities which are upgraded as you explore), this seems really dogged down by very forced progression that’s little more than “go to point A, speak to someone, they tell you to go to point B, collect/shoot the thing, go back to point A, get a reward). Yeah, fetch quests are all fine but then why bother doing that once when you have to do it three times, each being the same point A, in order to progress? Oh and while you’re doing that, you get lots (and lots) of dialog between characters that is trying to progress the story - except instead of making it one line of dialog, make it ten! It feels like a mix of padding and hand holding at its worst, especially compare with BotW.

Second is that while it’s primarily a space shoot em up type of game, at times it changes to what feels like a Zelda type RPG (or maybe something like Assasins Creed) where you should be controlling a person, not a ship (it even makes you do platform type jumps, but in a ship? Why can’t I just fly???) Or you start exploring rooms. Again, in a ship. 

My son seems to really enjoy it and the toy to life concept is really well done, but just observing the game looks like it’s suffers from Ubi Soft throwing every type of gaming genre at it, so it doesn’t really feel like a game like Wing Commander, which would have been excellent if it had just focused on that. Plus while there’s clearly a lot of budget gone into voice acting, the script is absolutely fucking awful, full of cliches and needless extra dialog that does little to the storyline. 

My son loves the new Voltron series on Netflix and there’s an example of excellent dialog and storytelling that an 8 year old understands, but doesn’t dumb it down. Watching the dialog in Starlink is laughable compared to Voltron (I literally rolled my eyes when it was reveleaded one of the characters in Starlink had spent several years in a Buddhist monastery). 

In saying that, again my son seems to love it and when it comes to me playing it, I might be able to just ignore the crappy dialog, the needless handholding and enjoy the game!

• Upvote 1

My 12 year old asked me to get this with his Christmas money: £18 is a good price as I think he’ll get the value from it regardless. Plus anything that makes him take a break from Fortnite is ok by me. 

Was as tempted to pick up some extras for it, but decided to see how he gets on first, besides he gets Fox with the Dwitch version anyway.

On 25/12/2018 at 10:36, gone fishin' said:

So my 8 year old son got this for Christmas and I can’t give any impressions  on actually playing the game (because he’s been playing it for a couple of hours), but I’ll give some initial thoughts having watched him play... 

First up, this is the first Ubi Soft game I’ve played in years that isn’t one of their “casual” games (the last was Zombi U) and while it looks like there’s some amazing bits of gameplay in the game, there’s a couple things that really stand out (in a negative way..)

The game seems to be huge with the ability to go anywhere in the open world (fly up from anplanet’s surface and go anywhere in the solar system, pretty cool). But compared to something like Breath of the Wild where the story unfolded through natural exploration (and being encouraged to explore, but being limited - in a way - by your current abilities which are upgraded as you explore), this seems really dogged down by very forced progression that’s little more than “go to point A, speak to someone, they tell you to go to point B, collect/shoot the thing, go back to point A, get a reward). Yeah, fetch quests are all fine but then why bother doing that once when you have to do it three times, each being the same point A, in order to progress? Oh and while you’re doing that, you get lots (and lots) of dialog between characters that is trying to progress the story - except instead of making it one line of dialog, make it ten! It feels like a mix of padding and hand holding at its worst, especially compare with BotW.

Second is that while it’s primarily a space shoot em up type of game, at times it changes to what feels like a Zelda type RPG (or maybe something like Assasins Creed) where you should be controlling a person, not a ship (it even makes you do platform type jumps, but in a ship? Why can’t I just fly???) Or you start exploring rooms. Again, in a ship. 

My son seems to really enjoy it and the toy to life concept is really well done, but just observing the game looks like it’s suffers from Ubi Soft throwing every type of gaming genre at it, so it doesn’t really feel like a game like Wing Commander, which would have been excellent if it had just focused on that. Plus while there’s clearly a lot of budget gone into voice acting, the script is absolutely fucking awful, full of cliches and needless extra dialog that does little to the storyline. 

My son loves the new Voltron series on Netflix and there’s an example of excellent dialog and storytelling that an 8 year old understands, but doesn’t dumb it down. Watching the dialog in Starlink is laughable compared to Voltron (I literally rolled my eyes when it was reveleaded one of the characters in Starlink had spent several years in a Buddhist monastery). 

In saying that, again my son seems to love it and when it comes to me playing it, I might be able to just ignore the crappy dialog, the needless handholding and enjoy the game!

I was honestly considering popping to Smyths to get a copy but I think you just saved me £18. 

If you get the arwing starter pack, do you need to have that ship built to use it? That's why I got put off lego dimensions, had to keep using all those toys which I just wasn't interested in it after a few hours, never even played the Doctor Who pack I really wanted it for. 

1 hour ago, Bonzai1888 said:

If you get the arwing starter pack, do you need to have that ship built to use it? That's why I got put off lego dimensions, had to keep using all those toys which I just wasn't interested in it after a few hours, never even played the Doctor Who pack I really wanted it for. 

No - the starter pack has the ARwing and the other ship unlocked digitally on the cartridge - you don't need to use the toys at all.

If you buy the extra ships etc, they unlock digitally once used and only need to be reconnected about once a week

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Junker said:

I was honestly considering popping to Smyths to get a copy but I think you just saved me £18. 

Ive spent a bit more time with it and I’d give it 7.5/10 so far. The biggest gripes are that it feels like some of the game have been designed by different departments within Ubisoft - the script is particularly bad (the amount of talking that goes on when you’re trying to play the game, you’re thinking “shut the f**k up, I’m trying to concentrate!”) where it feels like the basic storyline has been passed onto a team that have nothing to do with the game, instead are writing as much dialog as they can. 

The menu also feels like it’s been develeopled by the “UI team” at Ubisoft, it seems needlessly complicated. The thing that highlights the problem is that you literally add physical guns to your ship in order to change the weapons, but no there’s the option to mod them even more through a complicated upgrade system  (and if you sign on with a Ubisoft online account, you can get more exclusive weapons). You can then do that for your ship, your pilot. It totally misses the point, surely it should just be encouraging you to buy the toys and use them!

Thats what’s frustrating about it, the game could have been a 10/10 classic and you certainly see glimmers of that during the game. But for £18, you get a pretty decent space game that’s let down by some strange design decisions and terrible dialog. But I will say the toys are pretty cool and if you’ve got a 7-12 year old into spaceships, you can’t go wrong (my 8 year old son thinks it’s awesome, so maybe I should just shut up!)

• Upvote 2

I'm quite enjoying it (and loving being able to call the Star Fox team into help - that music) but it is laughable how far ahead Botw is in terms of an open world and teaching players about the mechanics thereof. BOTW is a fairly complicated game but it is all introduced naturally, sensibly and in a timely manner. I'm a few hours into this and the sheer amount of crap and options they have already thrown at me is just crazy. Seriously, the start of the game should not be able hour of teaching me your overwhelming systems because I'm never going to be able to remember it all. 

As an aside, the controls seem a bit weird on Switch. The movement of the ship is on the right stick but boost is A and shield is X. I don't feel able to use either of those two functions easily when in a dog fight and they do not have an option to remap the controls. Meanwhile R and L are only occasionally used. It feels like there is a better system somewhere here, perhaps movement of ship on the left stick? 

My son bought another ship with his Xmas money and for £12.99, it is a bit of a bargain. He’s enjoying mixing the ship parts up (you can even add multiple wings to the same ship hull), but something I’ve learned (and it’s a bigger issue with the Switch version) is that their are two playing options: physical, where you physically connect the ships, weapons, pilots etc in order to play and digital, where you don’t need the actual toys to play.

The problem is that with the Switch version, because you get the Arwing and an extra pilot (Fox), you don’t get the physical standard ship or the physical Gauss gun weapon, but they are included as digital versions. And apparently, if you play in physical mode, you cannot use any digital ships or weapons, which means you cannot use the Gauss gun at all. A gameplay mechanic is that if you die, if you’ve bought another ship you can just slot it in and continue playing (kind of like an extra life). Problem is in physical mode, you literally can’t use the standard ship that comes with the PS4 and Xbox versions.

However, where this physical v digital design choice is a major issue is if you buy any weapons or ships digitally, you literally cannot use them in physical mode - you can only use them in digital mode (which has caused a few angry posts on Ubi’s forums, as this isn’t made clear).

So if you’re buying the physical game, but thinking of buying more items digitally, just be aware of the fact you cannot use them if you choose to play the physical option!!!

But my son said to me earlier “what’s your favourite switch game”, I replied “Zelda” and he said “I think it’s Starlink”. The more he’s been playing with it, the more I can see it’s a great space shoot em up with strategy and tactics with a fairly easy to understand system. Must be amazing if your 8!!! I would have loved it instead of having to play this...

• Upvote 4

I played an hour of this on the plane yesterday, and I really enjoyed it.  There was plenty of shooting action, and I thought it controlled well.  Certainly it was better than my first session on No Man's Sky, when I was looking around a practically empty planet and examining rocks for the elements I needed to blast off into an equally empty space.

On 31/12/2018 at 11:23, gone fishin' said:

My son bought another ship with his Xmas money and for £12.99, it is a bit of a bargain. He’s enjoying mixing the ship parts up (you can even add multiple wings to the same ship hull), but something I’ve learned (and it’s a bigger issue with the Switch version) is that their are two playing options: physical, where you physically connect the ships, weapons, pilots etc in order to play and digital, where you don’t need the actual toys to play.

The problem is that with the Switch version, because you get the Arwing and an extra pilot (Fox), you don’t get the physical standard ship or the physical Gauss gun weapon, but they are included as digital versions. And apparently, if you play in physical mode, you cannot use any digital ships or weapons, which means you cannot use the Gauss gun at all. A gameplay mechanic is that if you die, if you’ve bought another ship you can just slot it in and continue playing (kind of like an extra life). Problem is in physical mode, you literally can’t use the standard ship that comes with the PS4 and Xbox versions.

However, where this physical v digital design choice is a major issue is if you buy any weapons or ships digitally, you literally cannot use them in physical mode - you can only use them in digital mode (which has caused a few angry posts on Ubi’s forums, as this isn’t made clear).

So if you’re buying the physical game, but thinking of buying more items digitally, just be aware of the fact you cannot use them if you choose to play the physical option!!!

But my son said to me earlier “what’s your favourite switch game”, I replied “Zelda” and he said “I think it’s Starlink”. The more he’s been playing with it, the more I can see it’s a great space shoot em up with strategy and tactics with a fairly easy to understand system. Must be amazing if your 8!!! I would have loved it instead of having to play this...

My 8 year old adores it and always wants to play it with the toy despite the draw backs you've outlined it.

I'm unconvinced but its certainly worth the £20 its currently going for

Whoever designed the toys and bits for this is an idiot- surely the plastic part which goes over the controller should free stand as a way of displaying/storing the model you’re using?

And the Nadir (Shaid’s ship) doesn’t even lie flat with the wings on, instead it rests at an angle on the weakest part, a tiny little flap which bends and looks liable to snap at any moment. Instead you have to turn that wing upside down and it just about lies flat with a weapon on it. Stupid.