rllmuk
Strafe

Starlink: Battle for Atlas (No Man’s Starfox)

Would like this but with so many other good games coming out it will be a while before I get it i'm afraid ^_^ It's a highly congested time of the year and the "good" triple A game's will be swept aside by the "great" triple A title's

14 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Just had a nosey at this on the Xbox store. Why the hell is the cheapest version £70???

It's ubisoft's alternative to lego dimensions / disney infinity and all that. So presumably you buy the digital game but the little toys you get with the starter pack are mailed to you?

But yeah to buy it in a store it comes as a pack with a spaceship and some characters and that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Just had a nosey at this on the Xbox store. Why the hell is the cheapest version £70???

it's a toys to life thing innit?

a guy in the work is getting the switch one because it comes with a starfox Arwing, it looks like you attach the model ship to your controller and swoosh it around :D 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Luseth said:

It's ubisoft's alternative to lego dimensions / disney infinity and all that. So presumably you buy the digital game but the little toys you get with the starter pack are mailed to you?

But yeah to buy it in a store it comes as a pack with a spaceship and some characters and that.

Hmmm, exact same game/bundle, is $60 in the U.S store. That's a shocking price difference

Been playing this since Thursday. In short: I think it's a lot of fun. Space combat may be tricky for younger gamers. Toys look really cool but I prefer playing with the digital set and a pro controller. I think it's quite a bit better on a big screen although nice to have on a handheld. I've had it crash a few times when putting Switch to sleep in handheld mode though.

This has to be a Switch purchase over the other consoles. Starfox trumps HDR/4K or whatever improvements the Pro/X may have. I take it you can complete the game using only Fox? Shame the toy only attaches to the joycons.

• Empathy 1

I think the switch version still looks pretty nice, despite some of the effects not looking as good + Starfox.

I really wanted this to stream, but it's not looking likely i can afford it at the moment. It seems like a game that might drop in price quickly.

It’s good...BUT

the left wing slot on my Arwing isn’t registering. Having to play it digitally. Fuck knows how you replace it. It’s the body of the ship that’s broke on the left wing slot. All other combinations and ships work.

26 minutes ago, Strafe said:

It’s good...BUT

the left wing slot on my Arwing isn’t registering. Having to play it digitally. Fuck knows how you replace it. It’s the body of the ship that’s broke on the left wing slot. All other combinations and ships work.

Stupid question but is the wing pushed all the way in? I had one where it hadn’t been pushed in the whole way and it didn’t recognise the weapon because of it.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

Stupid question but is the wing pushed all the way in? I had one where it hadn’t been pushed in the whole way and it didn’t recognise the weapon because of it.

Yeah, it was. I tried all sorts of different combinations and for whatever reason, the left wing slot won’t register. 

Still, amazon are sending a replacement tomorrow so not the end of the world.

True.  I only buy physical if at all possible, though, so I guess I'm hoping someone buys this, loses or breaks the toys, and then sells the base game to a CEX or Game near me.

Can you sell mods? I have loads, most of which are a bit shit compared to the better ones I have.

This really needs an ‘optimum loadout’ option so you can just upgrade all your stuff in one go using the most powerful stuff.

All these raw materials I’m picking up? Where are they going?

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Can you sell mods? I have loads, most of which are a bit shit compared to the better ones I have.

This really needs an ‘optimum loadout’ option so you can just upgrade all your stuff in one go using the most powerful stuff.

All these raw materials I’m picking up? Where are they going?

I feel there are too many mods. I wish I could have an optimum loadout option. I don't really want to spend ages tweaking these things although I'm sure plenty do.

Ignoring all the admin and the broken Arwing, I’m quite enjoying this.

It seems a bit heavy on the admin and a lot of stuff could be clearer. There are a few blink or you’ll miss it things that tell you what everything does and occasionally the voice chat doesn’t catch up with the action that’s happening (eg “you need to take that guy out” even though you already have)

That said, the combat and exploration is well done. It’s almost a platformer in parts. As some guy said on Kokatu the whole thing is pretty reminiscent of Titan AE, which is great as far as I’m concerned. Dogfighting is pretty cool, it looks alright and I’m enjoying the cutscenes and plot advancement.

You can effectively pay to win by having more ships because if one goes down, you can just swap to another.

The toys are quite cool I guess but god knows what I’m going to do with them. The separate ships come in blister packs so you can’t really resell them close to mint. In retrospect, maybe I should have gone digital as I do most of my switching in handheld mode.

The starfox stuff integrates really well, though they probably aren’t as interesting to me as the main crew. There’s a whole separate story thread for Starfox chasing down Wolf that plays out alongside the main game.

If the look and feel of this game appeals to you I doubt you’d be disappointed.

You can do a barrel roll. But you can’t roll your ship to change orientation in space, to the best of my knowledge.

23 hours ago, rgraves said:

Is it also true that the PS4 version require a wire!?

Yep. The dual shock doesn't have a power output and the mount requires a little (probably almost literally fuck all) to work. There's firmware updates for the mount also (at least on the switch), which one presumes is more an anti piracy thing.

How big and diverse are the planets? All the videos I've seen seem to suggest they're similar to NMS, i.e. the same eco system wherever you land on a planet so effectively not that big. Seven seems pretty limited if that was the case.

15 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

How big and diverse are the planets? All the videos I've seen seem to suggest they're similar to NMS, i.e. the same eco system wherever you land on a planet so effectively not that big. Seven seems pretty limited if that was the case.

Similar though as they're not procedurally generated like NMS there's a lot more things to do on them, characters to meet etc. A fair bit going on in space as well.

It does look nice but I'm really not looking for yet more toys (anyone want to buy a full Lego Dimensions set?!) 

I think it's a great idea to go down the digital route and it's great they made that an option but the pricing is just ridiculous for it given you're unlocking code and not getting anything physical.

• Upvote 1

I’ve done about 8 hours and mostly enjoyed it. There’s stuff to do, unlike my experience of no mans sky*, and - especially for a ubi game - some well rounded, if cliched, characters and lots of plot/chatter that drives you on.

It’s quite admin heavy and there have been a few occasions where I haven’t realised what I’m supposed to be doing next (really pay attention to the cut scene guides) but for the most part, it’s been great.

The pilot levelling is a bit odd. The game claims you can swap pilots instantly with no downside (you can) but then I just swapped Fox (level 8) for the main dude who’s level 3 and have a much harder time of it. This means that for me to level him up to where I am in the campaign is a real drag.

At least that’s how I think it is? Anyone know?

Fuck knows why I paid for all the physical ships when I could have just bought it all digitally and saved a shed load. Still, I guess I’ll be able to sell them all when I’m done.

* disclaimer. I haven’t played it since launch

I know this isn’t a Starfox game, but the list of games featuring Starfox that don’t make good on the first two Starfox games grows ever larger.

I wonder if this Starfox Racing game will ever show up...