Mr Do 71

Edge #325 - Settle your scores here ;)

IMG_1762.thumb.JPG.85024684517cd025e07188c7ce51fa3b.JPG

Hype looks at Dying Light 2, Tetris Effect, My Friend Pedro, Spelunky 2, Spin Rhythm, and The Bradwell Conspiracy.

Hype Roundup has a quick look at, Judge Eyes, Luigi Mansion 3, Puyo Puyo Esports, Katamari Damacy Reroll, and Devil May Cry V.

Features looks at Red Dead Redemption, Collected Works talks to David Braben, plus An Audience with Nippon Ichi president Sohei Niikawa.

Reviews: 

Destiny 2: Forsaken - 9

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 4!

Forza Horizon 4 - 9

Forzen Synapse 2 - 7

Wandersong - 7

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - 8

Two Point Hospital - 8

Transference - 7

Life is Strange: Episode 1 - Roads - 7

The Gardens Between - 7

The Making of Gnog.

Studio Profile visits 17-Bit.

Time Extend looks back on Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

The Long Game is still playing with Labo.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Assassin's came in on deadline day

I'm sure you could have rifled through it in a day.

• Upvote 2

That score for Destiny 2 is bang on. Best shape the game's ever been in. Always something to do, the new areas and enemies are great, and the Raid is a fantastic challenge.

Might actually pick this edition up. Well done, @Nate Dogg III  :hat:

Personally I'd give it a 5 or a 6. It's mechanically competent and there's some enjoyment to be gleaned, but Lara has all the personality and emotion of a post box and her supporting cast aren't much better. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem if they weren't so insistent on dragging you away from gameplay for their precious Dan Brown but somehow even worse story all the time. The challenge tombs are alright, but the world itself is filled with so many collectables that it would make Ubisoft go 'steady on'. They've added this big town hub area, which looks very nice, but is filled with sidequests that would have looked basic and boring back on the NES. Feels like the last wheeze of a franchise that needs to go away for a while an re-invent itself yet again.

• Upvote 7

so below average then...

a 4 seems fair. They've put out basically the same game 3 times now and each one magnifies the flaws a little bit more. If they re-added a windy bits from the first one I'd give it a 5

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

Is Tomb Raider really that bad??

Nah, but it does deviate away from the combat of the first two in the trilogy whilst not really progressing the exploration/puzzles enough. I enjoyed it a lot 4 is quite harsh.

4! Hah!

Come on though, it isn’t that bad. It’s uninspiring, but it’s competent enough, and there are some decent puzzles and difficulty options in there to make things more interesting. For me, 4/10 would apply to something that doesn’t quite work on a technical level. A game that has some decent ideas, but it’s fundamentally broken in some way. Angel of Darkness is a 3 or 4 game.

The series does need another kick up the arse though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Everything's brilliant! Nothing can be improved, nothing deserves questioning, and anyone who expresses anything negative has no soul! Everything gets a 10!

Now that’s the Astro Bot review I was waiting for.

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Everything's brilliant! Nothing can be improved, nothing deserves questioning, and anyone who expresses anything negative has no soul! Everything gets a 10!

Well it is all subjective, and conversely I wouldn't be too surprised when review scores -- that definitely and quite consistently, month on month -- vary drastically from the general consensus to also be greeted with questioning. It's all part of the game.

So people might find it intriguing as to why a game has been reviewed a certainly way, then read said review. Others might be quite bamboozled.    

It's on 78 on Metacritic, which for a game with the budget and brand awareness of Shadow basically means reviewers didn't think it was all that good but threw it 7s and 8s anyway because that's what they do with a big game that is fundamentally competent.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Have you read the Tomb Raider thread? It's all over the place, just like the review scores have been. I don't accept it's that much of a departure from the consensus at all because I don't believe there is one. And I certainly don't appreciate the implication that we do this for the sake of it. Believe it or not we do not give a score like this lightly.

I'm not implying that it's done for the sake of it. I just find -- often from my perspective -- that it's almost like the Edge reviewer is playing a different game to me. Bringing forth issues and criticisms that are often a total non-issue or almost don't really exist, once again, from my perspective. 

Probably the case that I don't see eye to eye with some of the writing staff, and nothing wrong with that. Same way that I don't buy games based on Jim Sterling's recommendations or opinions as I almost never agree with them. 

But this shouldn't mean I don't have a reaction to reviews or review scores like this. Almost every month there's at least a couple games that I'm just like "what??"... and that's fine surely?

• Upvote 1

I've read the review and the reasoning is fair. I enjoyed it but if I was in a review situation I'd be looking at a 6 myself. Pretty much everyone is saying, even those who liked it, that it needs a reinvention. You don't say things like that unless you know deep down that there are issues and niggles. I feel this way a lot about games at the moment though, so it's not just Tomb Raider, I'm just hoping RDR2 will seize the day.