Mr Do 71

Edge #325 - Settle your scores here ;)

I’m sorry to have wound up Thor so much.

I’ll lighten the mood by scoring the annual Siege DLC.

Launch: 8/10

Black Ice: 6/10

Dust Line: 9/10

Skull Rain: 7/10

Red Crow: 8/10

Velvet Shell: 9/10

Blood Orchid: 5/10

White Noise: 8/10

Chimera: 3/10

Para Bellum: 6/10

Grim Sky: 5/10

You’re welcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

If only you could talk to these skinner boxes.

Literally all games are skinner boxes if you reductively boil them down. 

Maybe we should all get a new hobby and stop being tricked by these games eh! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Literally all games are skinner boxes if you reductively boil them down.

I don't really agree with that, aspects like exploration or narrative aren't reducible in the same way.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, I say said:

Oh, right - I might give it a bash then and see what all the fuss is about.  For some reason I had it as a co-op only game.  The first game is so cheap now that I may as well.

Does that apply to both of them, Stanley?

I think the first one forces some co op missions bit the second doesn't, it's all seamless though, you won't even realise.

I think the first game does require you to complete strikes to progress the ... ahem ... "story". The strikes require three participants, but are match-made. 

11 hours ago, Mike S said:

I made another attempt at the original RDR via back compatibility a while back. Despite looking very lovely indeed, the gameplay was dull beyond belief and killed all my interest in the sequel.. 

I'll read this preview but I just don't find Rockstar open world games to be much fun.. 

Did the same thing last month. Mainly to look at the graphics updates on the X (which were lovely). Soon as the game started proper though quit remembering why I never played more than 5 or 6 hours of the game when it was originally released. Not getting caught up in the hype train again for a R* game... As beautiful as they are both technically and visually just find their games' gameplay  dull. Maybe I should quit gaming. :( Or go and play some old retro games or something....

4 hours ago, Benny said:

That brings up an interesting point of discussion actually: how many hours of grind before a game "opens up" to become outstanding is acceptable before it should be castigated for it?

I write stuff for an entertainment site @Badger owns, and with Nier, Persona and (possibly) FFXII I think I reached the end of the "base" experience before writing a word of review... but since a website isn't a monthly publication I can still add early impressions in smaller articles, or even extended impressions if I return to the game after the review. Edge account for this nicely with columnist opinions, Still Playing, The Long Game etc... but I maintain that you shouldn't have to spend too much time "looking for the fun", as it were. :) 

Perversely enough, I find that some grindy games are actually more fun at the start. Perhaps intentionally to hook you in?

But it seems like you can really wrap your head around needing to hit a skeleton 4 times to kill them, then finding a "fists of +5 bruising"  and suddenly you only need 3 hits to kill them. Feels like solid progress.

Fast forward to the end game and it's getting "Crystal Power Punchers of +9.8K Scorching" and it's the difference between hitting an arch-demon 101 times rather than 102. Less satisfying, but by then you are hooked. Some games mitigate this by adding sudden special effects - so if your new weapons sets people on fire, suddenly that's awesome again.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

A lot of those alternatives to Destiny I posted, are still keeping people entertained and have a ton of depth 200+ hours in.

Out of interest how many of the games you posted as alternatives have a co-op PvE component? And more importantly for how many of those alternatives is the co-op PvE component a significant part of the reason that people are still playing them?

36 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Perversely enough, I find that some grindy games are actually more fun at the start. Perhaps intentionally to hook you in?

But it seems like you can really wrap your head around needing to hit a skeleton 4 times to kill them, then finding a "fists of +5 bruising"  and suddenly you only need 3 hits to kill them. Feels like solid progress.

Most mobile F2P 'gacha' games absolutely shower you in whatever their premium currency at the start so that players enjoy getting used to the dopamine hit of opening their loot box equivalent, then take it away so players feel withdrawal and hopefully take a step into whale town.

In defence of Destiny 2's PvP, having played 100s of hours of Halo PvP across various versions, Destiny feels like the modern equivalent of a re-purposed arcade board (Commando into Gunsmoke, or 1943 into 1943 Kai) or a good ROM hack of a beloved SNES game.

A slightly off, strange but incredibly interesting and compelling mangling of an older game that become second nature to me.

I probably wouldn't care about the Cruicible if I wasn't such a big fan of Halo. But I am so I do.

It's fine to not like a game, of course. I understand why Destiny is not for everyone - it is, after all, a weird mesh of genres that doesn't always come off. Because it's a series that has been constantly updated throughout its life, it can be wildly inconsistent as an experience too. The game is the best it has ever been now, but it's had some real troughs to get there. 

But it's a bit much to frame this dislike in the context that the people who do like it - the gunplay, the lore, the raids, the teamwork, the community, the little secrets tucked away - have somehow been tricked by an evil corporation manipulating their gloopy brain liquid.

Most of us are away that the game sometimes makes you jump through hoops, but it's the actual jumping that we enjoy. We wouldn't play it if the game was crap and, as others have said, plenty of people abandoned it when it was crap and have just come back. 

The game's critical reception has largely bounced back with Forsaken too (though, again, it's had high points in the past when it's been excellent), and it's had strong reviews from most quarters. So it's a bit much to proclaim it some kind of massive con, when really it's just a personal dislike and it's not for you. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Rob Rymond said:

In other news, £6 an issue now!

Glad I only pay £8.99 a quarter.

Dude, you’re waaay overpaying! That works out at £35.96 an issue.

Milky white drops here please —————————————>

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 2

On 11/10/2018 at 13:09, Nate Dogg III said:

Everything's brilliant! Nothing can be improved, nothing deserves questioning, and anyone who expresses anything negative has no soul! Everything gets a 10!

David Gibbon, is that you? :o

Supposed to be same day but when there's an embargo preventing subs copies going out early, for some reason the Google stuff gets delayed. We're not in control of when it goes live like we are on iOS. It's rubbish. I'll see what I can find out.

• Upvote 1