rllmuk
papalazarou

Pet Sematary 2019 remake

I like that everyone in thread has collectively wiped The Dark Tower from their memory.

No I didn’t see it either.

EDIT: Bugger, Treble mentioned it.

Hah, yes, sadly I was dragged to that by my wife, who - like 98% of the population - hasn't read the books, and fancies the arse off Idris Elba. 

On 06/04/2019 at 11:45, Zero9X said:

Watched this last night. Thought it was great. Very atmospheric and full of dread. Loved the ending.

I loved the ending and the changes although Jud wasn't really as realised as he was in the original. 

Saw this today. Oh my god, that's the worst horror I've seen at the cinema in many a long year. It was worse than The Nun... worse than Wish Upon, even. 

I'm frankly astonished this is getting anything other than panned. The effects are terrible, the tone pompous and the 'scary' bits are just hilariously bad. People were laughing at them in my screening. The film makers basically made a remake of the terrible 1989 film... and that one was better than this, as at least that one's shitness was entertaining. 

• Upvote 3

I couldn't agree more. The film totally lost me when they had to hike all the way to Mordor to bury the bloody cat (complete with Dead Marshes). Pascows makeup is crap compared to the original, they totally rely on the Zelda-flashbacks for any scares. The ending is something right out of SNL. Awful.

Part of the issue with making this into a horror film is that the book wasn't really horror. It was much more a drama about loss with a handful of creepy bits.

• Upvote 1

Yup, it's basically an EC horror/Tales from the Crypt-style story with higher emotional stakes. Would work fine as a segment in a Creepshow, ironically enough.

Shit, Pet Sematary is still one of the most terrifying books I ever read in my life. That bit when Louis digs Gage up gave me nightmares for weeks when I read it and I actually ended up giving the whole damned book away to a friend of mine  :lol:

From what I remember, the micmac burial ground was actually quite a far distance away from the actual Sematary and Louis actually ended up losing track of time because it took them so long to get there when they buried Church, of course he ended up losing track of what was left of his mind when he took Gage there and iirc he was even having visions and "saw" the wendigo.

3 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:

Shit, Pet Sematary is still one of the most terrifying books I ever read in my life. That bit when Louis digs Gage up gave me nightmares for weeks when I read it and I actually ended up giving the whole damned book away to a friend of mine  :lol:

From what I remember, the micmac burial ground was actually quite a far distance away from the actual Sematary and Louis actually ended up losing track of time because it took them so long to get there when they buried Church, of course he ended up losing track of what was left of his mind when he took Gage there and iirc he was even having visions and "saw" the wendigo.

The problem is that you've just remembered the creepy bits. Which are about 5% of the book.

@Treble you missed Dreamcatcher btw.

Anyway this is not very good at all. For such a scary upsetting book, the original film and remake just don't capture any of that at all. 

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Anyway this is not very good at all. For such a scary upsetting book, the original film and remake just don't capture any of that at all. 

Plus it has the typical modern horror ending which has become much more popular now. 

Rewatched the old TV movie and maybe its nostalgia but it was whole lot of fun to watch than the remake.

11 hours ago, cassidy said:

*ahem*

reviews of the adaptations I've seen

No way I'm watching the Dreamcatcher adaptation ;)

• Upvote 1

This was really awful. It looked like a college production: cheap-looking sets, and almost no setup of the town they’re in. Just no sense of place. It was predictable too - and I know it’s based on a well-known book - but there was nothing interesting about this take on the story.

I can see us getting a never-ending stream of shitty Stephen King adaptations now, so plenty more where this came from :facepalm:

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I can see us getting a never-ending stream of shitty Stephen King adaptations now, so plenty more where this came from :facepalm:

There's not many King books left to be adapted really - everything good has been done or is in progress. So we're going to get lots of cheap remakes like this but also things like It and Castle Rock.