IGNORED

Pet Sematary 2019 remake

papalazarou

why would there be so many bones when the animals come back to life??

It's starring Johnny Weirdface from terminator genysis who is just terrible but John Lithgow is usually fantastic.

Spoiler

John Conner - 'I'm going to bring my dead baby back to life using the Pet Semetary'

John Lithgow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwpp-RxgJ-4

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 19:19, sandman said:

Started the original a few months back and never got round to finishing it. Pretty poor movie from what I saw.

Sadly most movies based on Stephen King has been shit. I did enjoy some of them like Christine, The Stand and of course Thinner but they have all been tv movies with moderate budgets and poor writing. I'd rather see something new than yet another remake/reboot. This remake business is getting out of hand. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2019 at 20:27, Stevie said:

Sadly most movies based on Stephen King has been shit. I did enjoy some of them like Christine, The Stand and of course Thinner but they have all been tv movies with moderate budgets and poor writing. I'd rather see something new than yet another remake/reboot. This remake business is getting out of hand. 

I am not a fan of his writing, I remember Tim Curry’s pennywise vividly from my youth, but 2017 It! is one of the most enjoyable movies I’ve seen in years and sequel is my most anticipated of this year

As no-one asked for it, here's my binary reviews of the adaptations I've seen (according to how well they capture the spirit/quality of the books) :

Carrie: 1

The Shining: 1

Christine: 0

IT (either): 0

Shawshank: 1

Misery: 0

Stand by Me: 1

Gerald's Game: 1

Green Mile: 1

Tommyknockers: 0

Dead Zone: 1

Pet Sematary (old): 0

Dark Tower: 0

1922: 1

1408: 0

Children of the Corn: 0

Cujo: 0

Salem's Lot miniseries: 1

The Stand miniseries: 0

Maximum Overdrive: 0

Firestarter: 0

Silver Bullet: 0

I was close to giving Silver Bullet (Cycle of the Werewolf) a pass as its creepy in one place and funny throughout, but the short story is really fantastic - werewolf stories so rarely are - so it's a miss. 

The ones that miss the mark the widest are Christine and Cujo, which miss the point completely. And IT (new one) isn't frightening enough but otherwise OK. 

Based on that hit rate, my trip to see the new PS tonight is done with serious trepidation! 

Overall thought it was okay, wasn’t horribly disappointed with what I watched.

Liked it better than the ‘89 version, liked that the Wendigo lore was actually incorporated, liked that there was more sense of dread and the mood was more ominous, but thought it was pretty mediocre and didn’t like the changes made to the plot that differed from the book. The jump scares were cheesy and took me out of it, especially because you can feel the set up coming for each one

Other notable things..

The Running Man is my favourite "adaptation" of King source - utterly hatstand

The Dark Half was ok -ish but that is down to my love of Romero's work.

Maximum Overdrive - actually directed and written by King - incomprehensibly dull and bonkers in equal parts.

Creepshow - A cheat this one as it wasn't a novel but a joint project with ROmero

Needful things - I loved the book and I wreally wanted the film to stack up, but nope

The Shining remake tv series - I am glad he got to produce "his version" but it was terrible.

Graveyard Shift - terrible 80s horror movie loosely based on the king short

Misery - have to disagree with the above it is superb

Thinner - better than it had any right to be and I do love the short story

Apt Pupil - utterly chilling work

I went thru a phase of watching and tracking down any King adaptation - I have since grown out of it :D

I think Misery is good as a standalone, but it misses the point of the book by a country mile. Which, to be fair, is pretty much unfilmable being about druggie isolation.

Also, the Misery Chastain excerpts work beautifully in the book, but cuts away to a bodice ripper in the film might be a bit jarring :D