rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Benny

Perfect Films

A few days ago I rewatched Kimi no Na wa... twice. Back to back. In Japanese, then the English dub too. Probably the 12th and 13th viewing maybe. And I could have just pressed start again as soon as it finished. Aside from a couple of holes I can poke in the plot, I thought to myself that it was a perfect film. So there.

• Upvote 1

There's not really such a thing as the "perfect film" is there as like anything it's all opinion. Kerraig said Millers Crossing and whilst I thought it was very good and I enjoyed it, I wasn't blown away by it like he hoped I would be.

But for the purpose of the thread, as ones I already consider to be perfect have been mentioned, I'll go with the film that has affected me the most in recent years - Your Name (Kimi no Na wa). I absolutly adore it and find everything about it perfect.

Interesting enough, can anyone name a perfect trilogy or series of films? There's plenty out there that I love like the Orignial Star Wars and I consider the LOTR films to be stone cold 5/5's but they aren't perfect. For me, out of all the things I've seen, Toy Story is the only one that comes close. I think they're truely are the perfect trilogy.

@kerraig UK I'd guess you'd consider Romero's Dead Trilogy as one?

15 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Fargo.

I cannot imagine any way in which it could be improved. Acting, plot, score, cinematography - all perfect..

Oh yah? Yah.

William H Macey is phenomenal in that, as is Frances McDormand, of course.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

There's not really such a thing as the "perfect film" is there as like anything it's all opinion. Kerraig said Millers Crossing and whilst I thought it was very good and I enjoyed it, I wasn't blown away by it like he hoped I would be.

But for the purpose of the thread, as ones I already consider to be perfect have been mentioned, I'll go with the film that has affected me the most in recent years - Your Name (Kimi no Na wa). I absolutly adore it and find everything about it perfect.

Interesting enough, can anyone name a perfect trilogy or series of films? There's plenty out there that I love like the Orignial Star Wars and I consider the LOTR films to be stone cold 5/5's but they aren't perfect. For me, out of all the things I've seen, Toy Story is the only one that comes close. I think they're truely are the perfect trilogy.

@kerraig UK I'd guess you'd consider Romero's Dead Trilogy as one?

Yeah the Dead trilogy for me. However Dawn isn't perfect. As charming and kitsch as the blue zombies are, they do undermine the brilliantly nihilistic atmosphere. 

Day is an extremely underrated film. It's one of my 5 favourite scripts.

I do think you'll come to appreciate miller's crossing more as the years go by. It's not an immediate film. It's a creeper. So much of it is in the subtleties 

I think LA Confidential is perfect 

• Upvote 2

I agree on Dawn but the original script was so fucking bleak it could never of been filmed :P.

For me it's (and this is a hard decision) it's Aguirre: The Wrath of God.

Total commitment to filmmaking and total chaos in it's construction. And at the end, one of the finest films ever made.

15 minutes ago, max renn said:

Total commitment to filmmaking and total chaos in it's construction. And at the end, one of the finest films ever made.

Best monkey toss ever committed to film.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Fargo is perfect for me too. Not one scene I would change or get rid of. Every shot, character, performance and line of dialogue is memorable and important in its own way.

And that music. 

59 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

And that music. 

:wub:

The first time I watched it (when I was 13?), my mum had recorded it off TV. The tape ran out a minute or so through the opening, and the film carried on on a second tape. It was missing about as long as it takes to hurriedly eject a VHS, put in another one, and press record again, which just so happened to be the entire snowy intro with that gorgeous music.

I don’t think I ever saw that bit until it got a DVD release :lol:

While it's true what different people consider a perfect film is entirely subjective, I still think it's possible to recognise flaws in even your favourites, so what you would consider a perfect film is only likely to come along very rarely. This assumes you can recognise flaws in the ones you love though. Like unruly children.

1 minute ago, Benny said:

While it's true what different people consider a perfect film is entirely subjective, I still think it's possible to recognise flaws in even your favourites, so what you would consider a perfect film is only likely to come along very rarely. This assumes you can recognise flaws in the ones you love though. Like unruly children.

Yeah I think so. I think Millers Crossing is a good example for that as Stu has excellent taste in films, recognises that it was a quality piece and enjoyed it, but yet it didn't resonate with him in quite the same way as it does with someone else. That bit is the intangible bit known as 'personal taste'. 

8 minutes ago, Don Rosco said:

Blues Brothers. A film where almost every frame is fucking hilarious.

I've loved that film since it came out.  A few months ago I downloaded a version with an extra 20 minutes of scenes.  I couldn't believe it!

My entries for this thread:
Goodfellas
Get Carter
CryBaby

• Upvote 1

I really want to say something like Barry Lyndon for example, as it's an amazing piece of work and every shot is wonderful, but it's so, so bloody long...

• Upvote 1

This may come down to personal taste, but while I like the Princess Bride, I always thought it was a really cheap looking film. It doesn't have the rich, dense visual quality of the milieu it's set in. It looks like a TV movie. It feels like it needs a few mid-eighties ILM matte paintings to set the scene, and more lavish sets.

I can't think of any films that are perfect, or near-perfect. Sweet Smell of Success probably comes close. 

1 hour ago, K said:

I can't think of any films that are perfect, or near-perfect. Sweet Smell of Success probably comes close. 

I was gonna say it, but I always say it. 

Casablanca is perfect. Glengarry Glen Ross is perfect. 

• Upvote 1

Zodiac is a perfect film, wouldn't change a thing.

BTTF, Tremors and Casablanca are also perfection or as close as dammit

I would add Beauty and the Beast (Disneys animation) and The Fly

• Upvote 1

Upvoted James Lyon Sandman for Tremors. The greatest film of all time.

I hold Martyrs as the perfect horror film as it ticks all my boxes and is one of a few extreme horror films that can justify its violence.

• Upvote 1