IGNORED

Microsoft xCloud Game Streaming - now powered by Series X

bear

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

I assume anyone actually using this to play on mobile devices is syncing up a controller and playing it that way? Or are there some customisation options that I've missed? I do have a pretty small phone by today's standards so maybe it's just the hardware I'm trying to use it on.

Controller connnected to iPad, connected via WiFi-6, connected via gbit connection to the internet: it's basically a best case. However the difference between ok and not ok seems to be "do you get a Series X server or not".

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

I tried this earlier on my iPad sat next to my router and it’s utterly unplayable, just massive visual lag and audio stuttering. I’m sure it’s connected at 5ghz but it just basically doesn’t work on my setup seemingly which is a shame. Will probably give it a go wiring in my laptop later. I’m on BT and a speed test says I get 50/19 with a ping of 8ms, which should be fine so probably just issues with my wireless connection.

I tried Minecraft dungeons as that has touch controls, and as above I found it did obscure the screen a lot, and that’s on a large screen.

Pretty much my experience on iPad just now as well (also on BT, same speeds as you except ping, which is 14ms). I loaded up Destiny and didn't even get past the character selection screen, the cursor was just miles behind my inputs. Oh well. 

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

For some reason though I thought when a game had been upgraded to use Touch controls, it would be bespoke to the game but instead it just looks like a massive virtual d-pad and buttons slapped right over the screen obscuring all the action. I tried playing Slay the Spire and it was just impossible to play on my phone, I can't imagine even trying to play something more action-packed.

Xbox games can be 'cloud aware'.  The only game with dedicate touch buttons I've played is Minecraft Dungeons.  I'd expect that they'll be more as the service grows. 

4 hours ago, Mogster said:

Once the game started they were replaced with contextual icons

Yup, the contextual buttons for touch are nice. I'll never get used to touch sticks, but appreciate having the buttons explained. They're there on screen on the toolbar for Dungeons anyway but way too small for mobile viewing.

So I don't have an Xbox anymore and I haven't had Xbox Live for years (or GamePass ever). If I wanted to play Halo 5 on xCloud on my PC, can I literally just sign up for the £1 GamePass Ultimate and start streaming right away? Or is it special invite only at the moment? When's the proper launch? And does something like Halo play well with a bit of lag?

EDIT: I'm on a wired connection and using a wired controller, so presumably that helps.

8 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

So I don't have an Xbox anymore and I haven't had Xbox Live for years (or GamePass ever). If I wanted to play Halo 5 on xCloud on my PC, can I literally just sign up for the £1 GamePass Ultimate and start streaming right away? Or is it special invite only at the moment? When's the proper launch? And does something like Halo play well with a bit of lag?

EDIT: I'm on a wired connection and using a wired controller, so presumably that helps.

I think so. Just go here, sign up, and start playing: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/play

So aren't the cloud games available on "all" systems?

I just tried to download the Xbox App on my PC but can't seem to start any cloud based games at all... Quite confusing.

4 minutes ago, koefoed said:

So aren't the cloud games available on "all" systems?

I just tried to download the Xbox App on my PC but can't seem to start any cloud based games at all... Quite confusing.

you just go here - https://www.xbox.com/en-US/play (with a compatible browser)

If you get XsX blade, its great, if you get bone, less so.

i would imagine at some point in the future it will be doable through the app aswell. Where you just select the game and choose download or stream.

Tried a short session of Doom, was perhaps not the best game to show off the world of streaming.

Will try something a bit more slow paced next time, should make the experience much better.

Loads of people have been slagging off Stadia because of how shit it is compared to game pass, but I tried a few games on my phone last night and it was a laggy mess with crap resolution. What am I doing wrong??

6 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Loads of people have been slagging off Stadia because of how shit it is compared to game pass, but I tried a few games on my phone last night and it was a laggy mess with crap resolution. What am I doing wrong??

You using a 5GHz WiFi connection? It's not worth using on a 2.4Ghz connection from my experience with it.

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I think the criticism of stadia against game pass is more aimed at the pricing model where even though your streaming big new games on stadia you still have to pay £50 for them. I know you get some free games now but the point remains.  

People have always said Stadia does work pretty well as far as the streaming goes. I think you might be mixing the comparisons. 

As to what you’re doing wrong. It’s possible you didn’t get a series X instance. It’s also possible it’s overloaded at the moment because it’s new or maybe the internet connection wasn’t great. I think that once the dust settles they will be comparable services from a streaming perspective. Though for me, I still can’t see a phone being a tremendous way of playing a lot of games. I can see a browser being a far more enticing bonus in a number of situations though. 

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I've heard most people say Stadia is the best cloud gaming service technically, most of the complaints have been about the value proposition, as well as the usual capital-G Gamer gatekeeping circlejerk because it's from a company outside of the three that you have nostalgia for and therefore a threat that must be attacked.

5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

People have always said Stadia does work pretty well as far as the streaming goes. I think you might be mixing the comparisons. 

Although it seems unfair to compare the offering if the streaming on Game Pass doesn’t work properly 🧐

5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

As to what you’re doing wrong. It’s possible you didn’t get a series X instance. It’s also possible it’s overloaded at the moment because it’s new or maybe the internet connection wasn’t great. I think that once the dust settles they will be comparable services from a streaming perspective. Though for me, I still can’t see a phone being a tremendous way of playing a lot of games. I can see a browser being a far more enticing bonus in a number of situations though. 

Hopefully, yep! I noticed it still says beta on the loading screen too, so I’m sure there’ll be more improvements.

I have a Razer Kishi so my phone has been a great way to play some games on Stadia - it’s like having a super-powerful Switch - but the current and future first party titles on Game Pass are a huge draw, and it’s really good value too (if you do the Gold sub > GPU trick).

7 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Has anyone tried xcloud on macOS? I won't have access to my PC for a while so this would be amazing.

Yeah it works fine, I use it in Chrome rather than Safari but I'm not sure if that's necessary.  On my MacBook Pro I can run XCloud & Stadia one after the other and technically XCloud is way behind.  The image quality is very average, but the thing that really kills it is the input lag.  I tried Dishonoured the other evening after all the praise it gets on here and it was unplayable, the aiming reticule would continue moving after I let go of the stick.  In comparison Stadia is super crisp and I personally cannot detect any input lag.

I really hope that XCloud gets better as the Gamepass library is only going to get better and being able to dip in and out of any of it without multi-gigabyte installs is amazing. I'd also like to see the EA Play games on gamepass available for streaming.

23 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Pretty much my experience on iPad just now as well (also on BT, same speeds as you except ping, which is 14ms). I loaded up Destiny and didn't even get past the character selection screen, the cursor was just miles behind my inputs. Oh well. 

I tried it in the office (using Virgin Media) at lunchtime yesterday and it's completely unplayable. But to be fair, my phone is connecting wirelessly to a wi-fi extender and the actual router is around the corridor in the kitchen so I wasn't expecting much. Will try it at home at some point and see if I get better results. I suppose it's weird only because Speedtest was giving me a healthy 25Mbps down, 10Mbps up with a ping of 22ms, which is better than the minimum specs. Maybe the jitter did for it? One reason to eventually get 5G once it stops being ridiculously expensive, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

I tried it in the office (using Virgin Media) at lunchtime yesterday and it's completely unplayable. But to be fair, my phone is connecting wirelessly to a wi-fi extender and the actual router is around the corridor in the kitchen so I wasn't expecting much. Will try it at home at some point and see if I get better results. I suppose it's weird only because Speedtest was giving me a healthy 25Mbps down, 10Mbps up with a ping of 22ms, which is better than the minimum specs. Maybe the jitter did for it? One reason to eventually get 5G once it stops being ridiculously expensive, I suppose.

Something that's using a wifi extender off a router... is going to be shit. 

The problem with stadia certainly isn't the streaming, but the value proposition at launch (there have been some good deals since) and the fact that's it's a Google service where they've already canned their development teams.

1 hour ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

Has anyone tried xcloud on macOS? I won't have access to my PC for a while so this would be amazing.

I tried it on my Early 2013 MBP the other day and it worked really well with Safari and 5Ghz WiFi connection. I got some pixelization for a couple of seconds after starting the stream but after that it was surprisingly crisp. Input lag was barely noticable but that might've be helped by the cabled controller I was using. 

Had another go with this via my laptop with a proper contoller and wired into the router (it's a pointless use case for me as I was sat right next to my Series X but just wanted to test it out).

Tried Forza 7 and FH4 first. Got one S nodes for those (as I kind of expected). They were okay, the image looked very low res and while they were playable I think I could definitely detect some input lag in FH4. Then tried Gears 5, which I assume I got a Series X node for (in the options there was the slider for 60hz or 120hz multiplayer). Anyway that was a lot more impressive, the resolution looked much better and I didn't feel that the input lag was an issue, the aim acceleration etc has always felt a bit off for me in Gears 5 and I didn't notice it feeling any worse via streaming, and active reloads felt fine timing wise.

So assuming you have a decent connection it does appear to work well. For me it's pointless as it doesn't look like I'd be able to use it anywhere but right next to where I sit to play on my sX but I suppose for those, start a game to get your reward points it's a winner!

4 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

Yeah it works fine, I use it in Chrome rather than Safari but I'm not sure if that's necessary.  On my MacBook Pro I can run XCloud & Stadia one after the other and technically XCloud is way behind.  The image quality is very average, but the thing that really kills it is the input lag.  I tried Dishonoured the other evening after all the praise it gets on here and it was unplayable, the aiming reticule would continue moving after I let go of the stick.  In comparison Stadia is super crisp and I personally cannot detect any input lag.

I really hope that XCloud gets better as the Gamepass library is only going to get better and being able to dip in and out of any of it without multi-gigabyte installs is amazing. I'd also like to see the EA Play games on gamepass available for streaming.

Dishonoured is a terrible choice because even locally that game suffers from horrendous input lag on console unless you use the 60FPS Series X mode, which unfortunately isn't available via xCloud yet.

Your network routing to these services is so wildly different that I wouldn't compare xCloud to Stadia unless you've literally tried both, on the same device, with the same wifi signal strength and general network conditions (i.e., anyone else at home streaming, etc.). 

These are, necessarily, no longer fixed platforms. I suppose it's almost like a PC, except instead of picking components you're "picking" networking hardware and issues.