IGNORED

Microsoft Cloud Gaming - coming to Samsung TVs

bear

50 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Very, but they have their own games subscription they’re pushing, Arcade, would MS allow Stadia on their console? 

Who knows? Has Google tried? (Given that they haven’t ventured out of their own devices anywhere else, it seems unlikely).

given that Apple push the iPad as a general computing device and not specifically as a games machine, it’s a different kettle of fish in any case.

1 minute ago, bear said:

Stadia works fine using the Edge browser since they changed to Chromium or whatever it's called. Not sure if it's listed as supported but it's what I've been using. 

and you’d imagine that the Xbox will support edge chromium shortly.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

So is the Steam home streaming app, but I think they get around the rule by being essentially remote desktop apps. It's a really tenuous distinction obviously, but in reality I imagine Apple don't care because they can't possibly monetise the content on your home PS4 or PC. I imagine Microsoft will probably launch a stand alone local streaming app for iOS in the future.

I was actually considering getting an iPhone of some kind in the future as a bit of a change, before I remembered just how restricted iOS was and this is the giant nail in the coffin. It's absolutely bonkers that video streaming apps are allowed while game streaming is not, especially when Netflix arguably includes a couple of games with Minecraft: Story Mode and that Black Mirror thing.

This also strikes me as really short sighted on Apple's part. Microsoft and Google are unlikely to ever give Apple a cut of Game Pass/Stadia sales if that's what they're after, so Apple are just handing Android devices a great big USP.

Yup.  I really like Apple Hardware but after seeing a host of things I'm interested in be effectively banned, my next phone is much more likely to be Android.

12 minutes ago, footle said:

Who knows? Has Google tried? (Given that they haven’t ventured out of their own devices anywhere else, it seems unlikely).

given that Apple push the iPad as a general computing device and not specifically as a games machine, it’s a different kettle of fish in any case.

The iPad is a good point. I think still think it's hard to sell it's credentials as anything but a consumption device that can support a limited set of work use cases (note taking, basic office use and some creative task such as image creation) when it's such a closed ecosystem and access to services is so maimed by their limitations.

Maybe that doesn't matter to them too much and they now see MacOS's merging with iOS on the Mac as the important direction of the platform. But if I was an Apple Mac user I've be a little concerned about the iOS apps turning up and the move to ARM.

Once the MS purchase of Tik Tok goes through perhaps they will threaten the removal of the app from the iOS store as leverage against Apple? Then again I am sure MS would want to see Tik Tok's continued growth and would want it available on as many devices as possible (so probably not).

Personally I haven't owned any Apple products in years, my last Apple Phone was the 4, the lack of apps compared to the Android/Play store did it for me. We do still have an early gen iPad that refuses to die nearly 9 years later. Its been dropped, soaked in water and god knows what else and still works (if a little slow), I occasionally use it for Netflix.

I actually think it’s just a poorly-conceived App Store rule from a while back that they’ve had no real need to review, but I can see xCloud being the end of that very soon. It’s dreadfully anti-consumer and they’ve offered no good justification for it.

Although, when this is the top free game in the App Store, who needs Halo, right?:

9402F5A8-E25F-4CCB-ACCC-D576616D34B5.thumb.png.6ee6a6e29658ebfc56bcab694187c446.png

8 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Which is?

If you’re referring to have people subscribe outside of the app that doesn’t seem to be the primary hang up.

Yeah, that. This seems extraordinary. You can't review all websites, but they don't ban browsers. These aren't even Apple games they'd be reviewing. 

Do they review all books? All video content? It's so monumentally stupid that I assumed it was the money issue. 

And of course, this is right on the back of deeper integration between Microsoft and Samsung phones, which will draw attention to the lack of iOS. 

Silly. Maybe they're hoping this is a fad, give themselves time to spin up their own. The Games Streaming Service Jobs Wanted You To Have, but our thinking was too advanced for the tech of the time(tm).

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, that. This seems extraordinary. You can't review all websites, but they don't ban browsers. These aren't even Apple games they'd be reviewing. 

Do they review all books? All video content? It's so monumentally stupid that I assumed it was the money issue. 

And of course, this is right on the back of deeper integration between Microsoft and Samsung phones, which will draw attention to the lack of iOS. 

Silly. Maybe they're hoping this is a fad, give themselves time to spin up their own. The Games Streaming Service Jobs Wanted You To Have, but our thinking was too advanced for the tech of the time(tm).

I'd say it is a money issue. It's just that as usual they'll hide behind security, safety and privacy when there's nothing of the sort here.

We saw similar with books and music services much earlier on didn't we? I don't think they can hide behind "it's an old policy" or similar.

5 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Yup.  I really like Apple Hardware but after seeing a host of things I'm interested in be effectively banned, my next phone is much more likely to be Android.

Now come on let’s not go too far, we’re not animals. 

It’ll happen eventually, just not when we want it. Same thing happened with cross play on consoles. Sony originally wanted it, Microsoft didn’t because they were dominant in online services and there was no advantage to them to allow it. Then the game changed, Sony got the edge over Microsoft and suddenly the boot’s on the other foot, Microsoft want it but Sony won’t have it. It took the likes of Rocket League and Fortnite, plus Nintendo getting on board, to make Sony capitulate because they just looked ridiculous for continuing to block it in the face of market pressure.

Apple will eventually have to cave in, as has been pointed out numerous times they did so with music streaming and video streaming.

While it’s difficult to tell which of Apple’s stupid rules is causing the hold up, it does seem to be something game specific rather than not being able to take a 30% cut - though I’m sure if they could it would certainly change how they view the app.

Netflix has never let you buy a sub through the Apple store, right? And they had to do stupid things like not be able to tell you how to do so in order to get approved.

The fact that Facebook’s free games seem to be a problem points it to being a gaming specific issue, in which case, they really need to get their heads out of their asses. All of the games on the platform are approved by the ESRB.

I think this is going to be one of the things they’re dragged to, kicking and screaming, years after Android.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

While it’s difficult to tell which of Apple’s stupid rules is causing the hold up, it does seem to be something game specific rather than not being able to take a 30% cut - though I’m sure if they could it would certainly change how they view the app.

It’s competition for their own service, and their own cut of gaming free to play revenues.

https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/microsoft-says-apple-is-denying-consumers-access-to-cloud-gaming-services?utm_campaign=input&utm_content=1596903977&utm_medium=owned&utm_source=twitter

Microsoft firing shots.

“Unfortunately, we do not have a path to bring our vision of cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to gamers on iOS via the Apple App Store. Apple stands alone as the only general purpose platform to deny consumers from cloud gaming and game subscription services like Xbox Game Pass. And it consistently treats gaming apps differently, applying more lenient rules to non-gaming apps even when they include interactive content,” a Microsoft spokesperson told Gizmodo before reaffirming the company's commitment to try to figure out a way to deliver its service to iOS consumers.

On 08/08/2020 at 08:49, HarryBizzle said:

A huge part of Apple's billions of app and advertising revenue comes from games.  You can see why they'd be protective in a way they're not of movies, books and music.  

25 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

A huge part of Apple's billions of app and advertising revenue comes from games.  You can see why they'd be protective in a why they're not of movies, books and music.  

Apple seem to be on a path which will lead to all things being in place to benefit them,  not their customers. There are a number of things that I feel uneasy about that they do in the name of protection but always come at a cost to the customer and with extra profits for them. I use their computers but I feel less and less like I want to buy another as time goes by. 

Unlucky ios using friends,  enjoy... uh... Fruit Clinic.  

I'm on GP Ultimate and have downloaded the app, but it just takes me to a webpage? Did I need to sign up to the beta previously to get in?

Not that I can use it at the moment as I don't have a bluetooth controller. 

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Apple seem to be on a path which will lead to all things being in place to benefit them,  not their customers. There are a number of things that I feel uneasy about that they do in the name of protection but always come at a cost to the customer and with extra profits for them. I use their computers but I feel less and less like I want to buy another as time goes by. 

Unlucky ios using friends,  enjoy... uh... Fruit Clinic.  

It is royally crap, but there's 0% chance of me switching to Android over this. I think I'm more likely to just buy another device to use with it, rather than switch. Hopefully Apple will see sense and change their app store policy in the not too distant future, though.

40 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

Yeah it’s doesn’t work great to be honest, tried on mine a couple of months ago  - runs fine on the android tv boxes you can buy

Ley me know when the new app drops and i'll try it anyway. No massive need for it was just looking a nosy!