Microsoft’s xCloud Game Streaming Service

This seems to work really well, just been playing State of Decay on my Pixel 4 using a Moga 2 controller and it works great. Perhaps games take a little longer to start up than I would like, and seemingly longer than on other streaming services I've tried (Geforce Now and PS Now). But overall it seems very good so far. 

11 hours ago, crocked said:

Is xcloud going to be available on android tv? I checked the play store just now and couldn't find it.

Is it possible to stream from my xbox downstairs to my nvidia shield with this? I'm assuming that is faster than using xcloud directly.

It doesn't work with chromebook or Android TV, just phones and tablets they said. Maybe better support coming over time? I would think they'd want it on everything eventually. 

Is this just an android thing or can you use the streaming service on a PC with the app or on the Xbox One itself?

I tried PSNow for a short while and the kids liked the fact that you can just start any game without having to wait an hour for it to install and download the latest updates.

4 hours ago, koefoed said:

Is this just an android thing or can you use the streaming service on a PC with the app or on the Xbox One itself?

I tried PSNow for a short while and the kids liked the fact that you can just start any game without having to wait an hour for it to install and download the latest updates.

The streaming service is phone and tablet only at the moment, but it would be silly if they weren't planning at least console and TV support for the near future. PC too, considering that apparently the service includes PC games. I say "apparently" because I don't think I have seen any on there yet.

On 16/09/2020 at 15:24, Tony said:

You have to sideload it but it works on the Shield. Bit clunky to control the menus etc.

20 hours ago, dfq23 said:

Got it working on my shield. You have to sideload the 7a version of the apk

Do I need to get the Game Pass app as opposed to the xbox game streaming (preview)?  Where do you get apk files from? Is there a safe place to get these from as from the play store I can't seem to download them?

10 minutes ago, crocked said:

Do I need to get the Game Pass app as opposed to the xbox game streaming (preview)?  Where do you get apk files from? Is there a safe place to get these from as from the play store I can't seem to download them?

I got mine from Apkmirror.  I only got the cloud option with the Beta version of the app though not the one just called Gamepass

Really impressed with this now. The only real negative for me is the lack of games specific to my own preferences - which is why I've pretty much skipped XBox and Microsoft this gen, I guess. But it's nice to get the chance to catch up on a few I missed that were of interest, like Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2. Is there anything else on there that someone who has been exclusively a Sony gamer for the last console generation should check out? Sea of Thieves looks ok...

On the tech side though, it seems great. Everything connects and launches flawlessly . No game-breaking lag, just  2 or 3 (over about 5 hours play) instances of the picture slightly breaking up , for no more than a second. My wi-fi is ok but not perfect. 

Paid one quid to check it out for the month and might keep it up when it rolls over to full price next month, if the games are holding my interest. If not I'll cancel and look forward to joining up again when they add a few more games as well as hopefully some PC stuff, and an Android TV app. 

Anyone know if this can stream at 4k or is everything 1080p (or less)?

2 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I fired up Nier Automata last night and had one of those 'If 10 year old me could see this shit now' moments. The input lag is a thing though. Not game breaking, but certainly takes a bit of adjusting to.

Maybe the games I have played are lag-tolerant.

9 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Anyone know if this can stream at 4k or is everything 1080p (or less)?

It's only 720p at the moment I think which is more than enough for phone streaming. 

Stadia is currently the only game streaming service with 4K support but this is as much to do with Google having Chromecast as a mechanism to get this into the living room. MS have a bit of a hardware solutions gap here - I'm hopeful that they'll enable 4k streaming via xboxes. It would be super cool if I could pay for Game Pass Ultimate and stream Series X fidelity graphics to my old Xbox One. 

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Maybe the games I have played are lag-tolerant.

I've played the 3 game streaming services fairly extensively and the only one that has consistently "fixed" the lag issue for me on fast games like Doom Eternal is Stadia. A big part of the issue for xCloud is its total reliance on WiFi (unless you're super dedicated and plugging your phone in via an Ethernet dongle) for the stream itself. My personal experience of all the game streaming services over WiFi is basically "fine for playing a bit if you're on the bog or something slow paced" but not something you'd actively choose over a local experience because WiFi simply has good days and bad. It's also possible I happen to have better proximity to Google's data centres than Microsofts. GFN is generally a very good experience though. too.

Tried it this morning, but I was getting a crappy picture with scan lines going down it. Like vram bother, but with video compression glitching too. 

It's a still well running Samsung S10 I tried it on. And I have no issues with streaming stuff, including WFH remote desktop which works perfectly for me. 

Didn't have a controller connected, but doubt that would be the issue, right?

As far as I know all the xCloud stuff is currently running on Xboxone S so 4K would be a waste of resources. They are supposedly moving to Series X hardware in the spring so I'd expect 4K support sometime after that. Support for PC games is just a rumour at this point but it sounds like it's in the works.

I've only played one level of Minecraft Dungeons on this since it got integrated into the Gamepass app. Didn't use the touch controls as I forgot about them but I'll try that later on. 

I'm not sure it works as well as Stadia at this point but it's serviceable and it's unquestionably the better service content wise. Not sure how Google can address that in the short term. 

I'm hoping that when they take the Beta tags off this that you can access all your Xbox purchases. 

Any plans for Chrome browser support? Specifically for Mac users, but I'm sure it'll be Windows 10 Edge long before MacOS gets it.

I might mess around with Bluestacks tonight actually and see if that works.

Just now, hub2 said:

Any plans for Chrome browser support? Specifically for Mac users, but I'm sure it'll be Windows 10 Edge long before MacOS gets it.

I might mess around with Bluestacks tonight actually and see if that works.

The new Edge is available on Mac (and runs on Chromium, anyway), so should be ok if they bring it to that rather than its own app.

1 hour ago, Hass said:

It's only 720p at the moment I think which is more than enough for phone streaming. 

Stadia is currently the only game streaming service with 4K support but this is as much to do with Google having Chromecast as a mechanism to get this into the living room. MS have a bit of a hardware solutions gap here - I'm hopeful that they'll enable 4k streaming via xboxes. It would be super cool if I could pay for Game Pass Ultimate and stream Series X fidelity graphics to my old Xbox One. 

I never thought about that, it's the most environmental comment ever made about gaming. Reuse old tech without losing quality. 

3 minutes ago, ucci said:

I never thought about that, it's the most environmental comment ever made about gaming. Reuse old tech without losing quality. 

I expect MS will release Xbox clients for all kinds of kit. My TV for example (and its fairly old now) - supports bluetooth and my Xbox controller does connect to it. Has Android baked into it and has access to the play store. I can see me being able to play my Xbox games in the room when/if a client gets released for it! :) 

The Smart TVs as the client thing definitely seems to be coming and is a logical progression. The sad news seems to be that the local hardware required to decode a 4k stream with low latency (i.e. whatever exists in Chromecast Ultra for Stadia) doesn't seem to exist in most current Smart TVs so you're going to be looking at a new TV purchase whenever this reality comes around. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't followed progress of this at all, but am interested. Can I just download an app on my phone, log into my Game Pass account and away I go or is there more to it than that?

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I haven't followed progress of this at all, but am interested. Can I just download an app on my phone, log into my Game Pass account and away I go or is there more to it than that?

You need to connect a controller too, but that's the only other thing.

Touch controls are coming. There's only Minecraft Dungeons at the moment, which works pretty well.

Got mine working. Turns out my phone keeps flipping back to the 2g wifi, not the 5g, and it really, really needs that to not be shit. 

I'm surprised as I've not had that bother with any other similar streaming stuff.

Anyway, it works well enough. I found a bluetooth controller from a brief affair with VR. Pretty handy for this gamepass reward stuff to just nip in, get a few easy achievements and never having to install the game.

On 18/09/2020 at 13:57, Hass said:

The Smart TVs as the client thing definitely seems to be coming and is a logical progression. The sad news seems to be that the local hardware required to decode a 4k stream with low latency (i.e. whatever exists in Chromecast Ultra for Stadia) doesn't seem to exist in most current Smart TVs so you're going to be looking at a new TV purchase whenever this reality comes around. 

If your TV does 4k streaming (like say, those powered by Roku) wouldn't that be enough? 

So I'm not sure if this is xCloud, but you can stream your own console to your phone in the latest Xbox app beta. That's how I used to play my Xbox upstairs, using the Xbox windows 10 app. Sounds silly, but I hope the old Xbox gets that app. As someone mentioned, reuse old kit for something. 

How do I go about pairing my controller to my phone? I've only the one, turning it on will turn on my Xbox and I assume this isn't like PS4 remote play (which I can't get to work properly on my tablet)

27 minutes ago, wev said:

How do I go about pairing my controller to my phone? I've only the one, turning it on will turn on my Xbox and I assume this isn't like PS4 remote play (which I can't get to work properly on my tablet)

You have to have the 2nd Gen Xbox One controller that supports Bluetooth. Press the sync button and it will pair on Bluetooth same as any other Bluetooth device!

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

Ah, that's annoying, my controller is an old one so doesn't have Bluetooth.

Excitement curtailed.

@wev - just fyi, it's 2016 models onwards (3rd gen, not 2nd) that have Bluetooth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One_controller

My DS4 from my launch PS4 works, if that's any help. The buttons map correctly in terms of their location, although you have to remember that B = circle, etc.