A Star Is Born (2018) - Gaga, Cooper, 100% Oscar winner

Me and the current Mrs T saw this yesterday evening as each of our friends and relatives said it was amazing.  The missus loved it, and while i found parts of it enjoyable, it didnt connect fully with me.   I will concede that Gaga was fantastic, Cooper was surprising with his singing voice but I found he kept mumbling, which i found annoying. 

I was surprised when it showed Cooper directed it.  A solid 7/10 from me.

Copy and paste from what I wrote in the Movie Watchers Blog thread.

---

I had a ticket for Kylie tonight but she canceled her show so I went to see this instead and I had a pretty good time. Cooper is an alcoholic singer who stumbles into a bar one night and hears Lady Gaga belting out an Edith Piaf song. He whisks her off on tour with him and soon her star begins to eclipse his. 

This was pretty decent. Cooper and LG are really good but I don’t think slurring and stumbling is a stretch for an actor - we’ve seen Coopers performance from a lot of actors in a lot of films. This is a really long film, the first 45 minutes are superb. But once the star is born there’s nowhere really for it to go. There’s a real lack of conflict and drama in the second hour and the pathos is poured on a bit much. 

The two leads are fab and the support, Andrew Dice Clay and Sam Elliott especially, are top class. I did detect a little bit of anti-pop snobbery which always annoys me as if there’s something more ‘authentic’ about pianos and acoustic guitars than keyboards and dance beats. Some of the songs are fantastic and the photography is very nice.

For a debut director Cooper does really well but I was pretty tired by the end. Worth a home watch but not worth a special trip to the cinema.

I went to see this over the the weekend and thought it was superb. 

I have thought for a long time that underneath all the bizarre antics Lady Gaga is the most naturally talented musician of the current generation, so not in the slightest bit surprised that she knocks it out of the park.  Bradley Cooper both as a singer and director are a pleasant surprise though.

I would go 9.5/10 as no film is perfect so I don’t like 10/10 scores, plus as already mentioned above I agree that a slightly tighter edit losing 20 minutes in the middle third would not have hurt.

Still this is a wonderful film and well worth your time.

I enjoyed this but it felt a solid 3/5 movie for me. The transition from heartfelt artist to singing about arses with backing dancers in tow felt a bit jarring. I wasn't as blown away by Gaga's acting as most. Thought she was very good in the first half, but once more emotional depth was required I found her performance pretty average. 

3 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I enjoyed this but it felt a solid 3/5 movie for me. The transition from heartfelt artist to singing about arses with backing dancers in tow felt a bit jarring. I wasn't as blown away by Gaga's acting as most. Thought she was very good in the first half, but once more emotional depth was required I found her performance pretty average. 

On reflection I think thats fair. It gets an extra star from me though for proper setting me off in the ending. 

I really enjoyed this but on reflection I think it's probably a 3/5 as well. Cooper was very good and his story was really well done but I think Gaga was shortchanged somewhat. Cooper gives himself the best solo songs and the meatiest arc, leaving Gaga with vapid generic pop in the second half because of story demands. I was looking forward to seeing her do what she does best but there was nothing to match La Vie En Rose or Shallow when her career takes off - certainly nothing that would trouble her real-life output. "A Star Is Churned Up By The Industry" would have been a more apt title. I guess a lot hinges on what you think of the final song, and I'm sad to say it didn't do it for me. Ally is basically an adjunct to Jackson all the way through - anything she does by herself is either not shown or belittled. I really did love the way Shallow came together though - amazing scene.

I was trying to think of a real-life analogue to Jackson Maine - someone who made it big in the mid 90s and is (was :() still recognisable to the general public 20-25 years later. The closest I could think is Chris Cornell, but 5-10 years younger. Though I think it was the riff in the opening song, which is pure Audioslave, which made me think that. Cooper has said he used Eddie Vedder as a template.

Apparently Clint Eastwood was developing his take on this story a while back. This reminded me a bit of an Eastwood film. Extremely competent but a bit generic.

• 2 months later...

Second watch in cinema today, missus hadn’t seen it and actually likes Gaga already, I haven’t changed my view but she’s fab in this. Still love the first half but found the second especially gruelling knowing what was coming. Think it’s excellent. Remarkable achievement in direction. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Saw this last week and whilst being suitably impressed with Gaga's acting attempt there was absolutely no plot whatsoever. Talented singer becomes successful! Wow. Is this really a story that needs retelling every few decades?

Movies about characters are perfectly valid. I’ve not seen the Linklater ‘Before’ series but it’s meant to be very good providing you buy into the romance, same here, plus the sheer drama of the opening act building to the first time they sing together was amazing 

• 3 weeks later...

saw this tonight and really liked it. don't think it should get best picture though.

gorgeous film to look at, great lighting especially.

i wasn’t 100% convinced by the pair’s chemistry or performances, but they were very good and better than the two in la la land.

8 hours ago, Triple A said:

saw this tonight and really liked it. don't think it should get best picture though.

gorgeous film to look at, great lighting especially.

i wasn’t 100% convinced by the pair’s chemistry or performances, but they were very good and better than the two in la la land.

What an odd comparison.

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I thought it was ok but I wasn't sold on the music, La La Land and The Greatest Showman trump it there.

But it’s not a musical? :blink:

i love the country stuff, the performance of Shallows is just amazing, seen it twice now and it’s just one of those great cinema moments

when Gaga becomes Ally I couldn’t tell the difference between the stuff that saddens Jack and her normal music TBH, but the missus assured me it’s weaker ... presumably deliberately