IGNORED

The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

TehStu

20 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Surely we are heading to point (whether in this series or another spin off) where we meet Luke again. The only interesting (and unresolved) thing about the sequels is how the Jedi Academy went tits up. In the right hands that could be really interesting and a good way to retcon what comes next.

They will either recast or use:

While the face looks good, the big thing for me is just how much shorter the guy playing Han Solo is than Harrison Ford and that really throws you. It's like every other actor is 6ft 6" or something.

The voice also makes you think it's been badly dubbed. Is the technology there yet to make actors sound younger? It would be better to get the original actors to play the role, then have this deep fake technology de-age them like in this, which is really incredible compared to the original de-aging tech used.

But the problem will always be how actors in their 60s and 70s just don't move the same as when they were in their 20s/30s, which was clearly evident in The Irishman when Robert De Niro started beating up on a guy and could barely move.

47 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

The voice also makes you think it's been badly dubbed. Is the technology there yet to make actors sound younger? It would be better to get the original actors to play the role, then have this deep fake technology de-age them like in this, which is really incredible compared to the original de-aging tech used.

The Irishman does all the heavy lifting of 3d head, hands and clothing replacements. Some of that was already using AI based shape matching of face poses.  You could argue another 2d deep fake pass would have finished it off better, but you'd still need all that initial work.  That's a lot of effort and cost for a Mandalorian guest appearance.

55 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

The Irishman does all the heavy lifting of 3d head, hands and clothing replacements. Some of that was already using AI based shape matching of face poses.  You could argue another 2d deep fake pass would have finished it off better, but you'd still need all that initial work.  That's a lot of effort and cost for a Mandalorian guest appearance.

I can't see it being done for The Mandalorian, it looks like they're trying to make it fairly low budget (compared to a modern Star Wars film). But ILM developed the Stagecraft technology for it, so it could be that it's also seen as a way of developing new technology which can then be sold as a service to other studios. Maybe ILM could do something similar with de-aging with an additional deep fake layer. 

I mean, ILM are clearly behind this, right?

2 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

But the problem will always be how actors in their 60s and 70s just don't move the same as when they were in their 20s/30s, which was clearly evident in The Irishman when Robert De Niro started beating up on a guy and could barely move.

Why they didnt just use a body-double for that shot I have no idea.

I actually watched a few of the episodes again after working my way through all the animated Filoni shows and this series really holds up to re-watching - there is so much interesting background detail and clever cinematography going on. The last episode in particular just has a superb atmosphere.

12 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Every Friday I watch The Mandalorian at 7pm. But fuck me, it’s a nightmare avoiding spoilers on social media from the moment I wake up.

There’s probably an easy way to solve that... ;)

Love feeling excited for new episode day. While it’s nice having all episodes to watch at a pace of your own choosing, being released weekly adds more old-school charm to this series.

I’m so glad they brought back

Spoiler

Ming Na.

I loved this.  It makes me feel like getting up for Saturday morning cartoons as a kid, short and sweet episodes, and utter delight.  

I hope this is around for years and Disney keep upping the resources for it to build something big.  

You have to wonder why

Spoiler

Boba didn’t get his armour back from Cobb Vanth

There are parts of the new trilogy that are very good. Parts that get very close to generating the feels that every minute of the original trilogy generates. There aren't many, but there are parts.

It actually makes me a little sad to admit it but that episode, coupled with last weeks, is easily the best live action Star Wars anything for almost 40 years.

I gasped. I cheered. I screamed. I never want this show to end. Just fucking brilliant!

2 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Fucks sake how long do we have to wait for the next season?

I’m guessing we might get it around this time next year.  I think Favreau has said that the technology the use and the way they shoot let them have a lot fewer people on set and might start shooting this month.  

Everything about the shows seems to be geared towards flexibility.  And Disney has already said they are prioritising the production of Disney+ shows.

54 minutes ago, Timbuktu said:

I’m guessing we might get it around this time next year.  I think Favreau has said that the technology the use and the way they shoot let them have a lot fewer people on set and might start shooting this month.  

Everything about the shows seems to be geared towards flexibility.  And Disney has already said they are prioritising the production of Disney+ shows.

That would work out - S1 was out in the US this time last year, so same timeframe again in 2021 is a reasonable hope.