The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)

After all of you on the previous page saying it was the best episode yet, I’m a bit disappointed. I mean, it was decent enough, but it just felt like most other episodes to me. Is it because it references the wider Star Wars universe, which I know absolutely zero about?

I don’t know any extended universe gubbins, and I bloody loved it. Another episode, another kickass mission. I’d buy that for a dollar*

I love the production design too. s01e01 was all sandy and spaghetti western, 02 all glacial, 03 soggy fishing port. 

Also, I really wish this show had a proper Glen A Larson intro, where they could introduce Special Guest Stars :-)

*£5.99/month

50 minutes ago, JPL said:

After all of you on the previous page saying it was the best episode yet, I’m a bit disappointed. I mean, it was decent enough, but it just felt like most other episodes to me. Is it because it references the wider Star Wars universe, which I know absolutely zero about?

It references the cartoons more than anything and although they have a following, even your average ageing Star Wars fan probably doesn’t know that much about them.

Anyway, hopefully they’ll make these characters their own and bring them to a wider audience. 

As for the episode, thought it was the usual high quality with some stand-out scenes. Left me a little cold though, probably because it seemed a bit cameo of the week.

Not a lot happened in that, but I really liked the horrible dirty space port. It looked great.

Since this seems to be referencing Clone Wars a lot - does that series capture the fun of the original Star Wars films like The Mandolorian does, or is it all po-faced grand epic like the prequels?

I’m only mildly acquainted with Rebels and all the fantastic character arcs that spun out of that, but for people who are huge fans of Rebels that episode must have been a punch the air “fuck YES!” moment, no?

Spoiler

Katie Sackhoff is a fucking goddess. From Battlestar to Riddick and everything else she is just incredible. I would eat the lint from her belly button. So having her in this as anyone is amazing... the fact she just happens to be Bo is another reason why this show is the future of Star Wars.

Just fantastic stuff!!

31 minutes ago, PK said:

Not a lot happened in that, but I really liked the horrible dirty space port. It looked great.

Since this seems to be referencing Clone Wars a lot - does that series capture the fun of the original Star Wars films like The Mandolorian does, or is it all po-faced grand epic like the prequels?

It’s Prequel character based, seven seasons and very hit and miss. But when it’s good it’s really good.

I’d recommend, rather than wading through the lot, either hit the best stories only, Seige of Mandalore, Bad Batch, Ahsoka being framed and a few others, or go straight to the last four episodes of Season 7, which is actually classic Star Wars as Disney really made an effort. Then you can dip back once you’ve been blown away by that. Starting at S1E1 you’ll probably just shake your head and go, what the fuck is this shit??

The only back story you really to know is that Anakin had his own Padawan called Ahsoka.

On the whole the Clone Wars did a really good job of retconning and fleshing out the Prequels. After you’ve had your fill of Clone Wars watch the Dark Saber/Maul/Vader episodes of Rebels to be fully Mandalorian ready!

5 minutes ago, PK said:

Thanks @womblingfree! Is it a similar story with Rebels?

I’ve not watched much Rebels, I skipped to the Ahsoka duel with...well I won’t spoil it, and a few key episodes about the Dark Saber and Maul. All good stuff. There’s fun to be had over a few seasons if you get into it but I think I’m done after that.

There’s something about OG stormtroopers that’s just quintessential Star Wars. Everything else is great, but a bunch of those guys running down a dark grey corridor missing everything they shoot at takes me back to eight year old me’s happy place.

Anyway, as I never got into the cartoons, was one of those Mandos

Spoiler

Sabine

? And if not, we’re they anyone in particular that I ought to recognise?

36 minutes ago, Darren said:

There’s something about OG stormtroopers that’s just quintessential Star Wars. Everything else is great, but a bunch of those guys running down a dark grey corridor missing everything they shoot at takes me back to eight year old me’s happy place.

Reveal hidden contents

Sabine

No, it was Bo-Katan Kryze, but she did know Sabine - it was Sabine that first entrusted Bo with the Darksaber, that she’s now trying to track down in the Mandalorian. 

12 hours ago, Darren said:

Hide contents

Sabine

11 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

No, it was Bo-Katan Kryze, but she did know Sabine - it was Sabine that first entrusted Bo with the Darksaber, that she’s now trying to track down in the Mandalorian. 

Specifically, the other female Mando was named Koska Reeves (played by the wrestler Sasha Banks). Don't believe either Mando character of the two new ones appeared in the animated shows AFAIR. 

What a cool episode. I rewatched season one back to back with S02E01 and now we're up to ep3, I can happily say this is my favourite new TV show in years. It's the best live action Star War since Rogue One, and a billion times better written and more fun than the increasingly (in retrospect) abysmal filmic episodes 7-9 :)

The timeline for a lot of these brought back characters is a bit all over the place.

The actor playing Boba is about twenty years too old, but they can probably wing it, while Bo and Ahsoka are too young. 

You can probably get around it with Ahsoka by saying they age differentley (although they have the same life-span as humans). And I guess you can say Bo has some really good space Oil of Olay.

54 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

The timeline for a lot of these brought back characters is a bit all over the place.

The actor playing Boba is about twenty years too old, but they can probably wing it, while Bo and Ahsoka are too young. 

You can probably get around it with Ahsoka by saying they age differentley (although they have the same life-span as humans). And I guess you can say Bo has some really good space Oil of Olay.

with boba, although he was cloned to age naturally they could easily say it didn’t work and at some point the rapid ageing built into the other clones did kick in. 

With Bo...let’s say she was 20 during the clone wars...she’d be what? 42ish by the time of mandalorian? That’s fine; Katee Sackoff is 40, so it does work out. 

Sci-Fi innit they can get around age issues anyway they like.  

Off the top of my head Bo looks too young because Moff Gideon captured and froze her in carbonite for 10 years when he acquired The Dark Sabre.  The other 2 Mandos finally released her in a daring rescue, and set her on the hunt to get the Sabre back.

Age issue resolved.:P

Mandalorian takes place nine years after the battle of yavin aka new hope. Clone wars, where Bo first appears, was 19-22 years before new hope. Again, let’s say Bo was 20 in clone wars, she would be early 40s by the time of Mandalorian, Katee Sackoff is 40 so there you go. No freezing in carbonite needed. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Mandalorian takes place nine years after the battle of yavin aka new hope. Clone wars, where Bo first appears, was 19-22 years before new hope. Again, let’s say Bo was 20 in clone wars, she would be early 40s by the time of Mandalorian, Katee Sackoff is 40 so there you go. No freezing in carbonite needed. 

Ahh but can you add up?  ;)

20 years old plus let's be generous and say 19 years before ANH = 39.  Then 9 years after ANH  to Mandalorian = 48 and not early 40's, so maybe 8 years in carbonite not 10.:P

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Or alternatively, Luke born at end of Sith and is 30ish by the time of Jedi. Say a couple of years between Clone Wars and Sith, and then also add on nine years from Jedi to Mandalorian. So 2+30+9=41, or Bo Katan should be in her 60s by the time of Mandalorian. 

Not that any of this matters, 'cos it's Star Wars innit.

• Pob changed the title to The Mandalorian - Season 2 (open spoilers for big surprises)