rllmuk
TehStu

The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

I’m sure there’s a tweet from him saying he’d never do a Star Wars film as he’d be fired in 5 minutes (I’m not on Twitter so can’t go and check). I wonder how long he will last. 

That said I think Ragnarok is great and JoJo Rabbit is a beautiful film so I hope Disney actually give him the freedom to do what he wants. I just wish they’d let Lord and Miller do the same. 

Creative differences a week Tuesday, fired for not sharing Disney's templ..vision the day after.

Next!

I guess it all depends who’s running the show now. If Feige, Favreau and Filoni are in charge of this project then he’ll be fine since they’ve all worked with him before.

If the Disney hierarchy and Kennedy stick their oar in, expect a Lord & Miller-style exit.

• Upvote 1

Kennedy is being let go, surely? I'm sure I read her contract is fixed length and (likely) will not be renewed.

It's Feige and Favreau's baby now.

I concur, Feige, Faveau and Filoni seem likely to be in charge of it all based on their output. I can't see Kennedy surviving the post-Skywalker era at all.

I'd also definitely give Waititi a better chance of surviving the innings than Lord & Miller (always thought they were a weird place for Star Wars to go anyway). He's already involved both in front and behind camera with The Mandalorian to critical and fan success, and Thor: Ragnarok and Love & Thunder prove he's well liked by the Disney suits in general. Seems like a good fit.

Robert Rodriguez has directed at least one episode in season 2

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, drmick said:

Kennedy is being let go, surely? I'm sure I read her contract is fixed length and (likely) will not be renewed.

It's Feige and Favreau's baby now.

I know the recent films have their fans and that's fair enough. They're not for me though, far too self-serious about precious lore and drama, with bad pacing and none of the feeling of breezy fun that I (IMHO and all that) associate the older films with. That feeling of fun is exactly what The Mandalorian managed to evoke for me, the fun sit back and enjoy feeling, like a fun episode of the A-Team. If Taika does the same for a new Star Wars movie, then I'm interested again. For now season 2 of Mandalorian is the only Star Wars thing I'm looking forward to :)

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Robert Rodriguez has directed at least one episode in season 2

they should have Gareth Evans do one :omg:

• Upvote 2

Had to force myself to finish this in the end. Genuinely baffled by the praise this gets. It certainly has its moments, and the look and general vibe are pretty good, but it lacks quality in just about every other department. The bars been raised so high for tv shows these days, yet this feels like something that could have been written in the 80’s, and not in a good way.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 2

On 5 May 2020 at 09:48, Mr Combo Breaker said:

they should have Gareth Evans do one :omg:

What's he done to you?

The Mandalorian's ship was nicked from Battle Beyond the Stars. 

• Upvote 1

I deliberately held back from watching this until it arrived on Disney + in the UK.  It meant having to avoid any spoilers, as well as this thread.  Well I've finally caught up and I REALLY enjoyed it.

I especially liked how completely different it is to the movies, but also the animated TV series in terms of pacing and atmosphere.  It's very understated in places, yet it still manages to absolutely nail the 'feel' of Star Wars.  It's the kind of 'alternative' Star Wars I was looking forward to and the nod to the Clone Wars/Rebels series in places was really cool.

It gets the thumbs up from me - roll on season 2 - the rumoured casting I read on a previous page sent my nerd-o-meter into meltdown!!

• Upvote 4

You say it's different from the clone wars or rebels animated series but I'd argue the Filoni episodes are quite clearly him and feel just like clone wars and rebels. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Had to force myself to finish this in the end. Genuinely baffled by the praise this gets. It certainly has its moments, and the look and general vibe are pretty good, but it lacks quality in just about every other department. The bars been raised so high for tv shows these days, yet this feels like something that could have been written in the 80’s, and not in a good way.

But how does it compare to other recent Star Wars releases? 

And on the TV side- how does Mandalorian compare to other current sci-fi TV shows?

36 minutes ago, drmick said:

But how does it compare to other recent Star Wars releases? 

And on the TV side- how does Mandalorian compare to other current sci-fi TV shows?

Not well in my opinion. The recent films are certainly a mixed bag, but at least you get drama and emotion from them, which just seemed lacking here.

Recent Sci Fi tv has been amazing. In the last year alone we’ve had Watchmen, Tales From The Loop, Devs, which have all been superb. I know those shows aren’t very comparable to this one, but they still nail every area of what makes a show great. In fact the only comparable show I can think of is Firefly, and that was done with miles more wit and charm.

I get no joy from not liking this as I’m a massive Star Wars fan. I’ve liked most the recent films up until Rise Of Skywalker, so for me this feels like a double whammy of disappointments.

4 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Not well in my opinion. The recent films are certainly a mixed bag, but at least you get drama and emotion from them, which just seemed lacking here.

Recent Sci Fi tv has been amazing. In the last year alone we’ve had Watchmen, Tales From The Loop, Devs, which have all been superb. I know those shows aren’t very comparable to this one, but they still nail every area of what makes a show great. In fact the only comparable show I can think of is Firefly, and that was done with miles more wit and charm.

I get no joy from not liking this as I’m a massive Star Wars fan. I’ve liked most the recent films up until Rise Of Skywalker, so for me this feels like a double whammy of disappointments.

There is plenty of drama in Mandalorian, unless I have a different understanding of the term. Emotion, clearly not so much, you need a lot more dialogue for that.

I've honestly never heard of Loop or Devs, and I was warned off Watchmen, so you haven't answered my question to my satisfaction. (That's not a dig by the way, just I was hoping you might mention something that I personally knew of to prove me wrong).

8 minutes ago, drmick said:

There is plenty of drama in Mandalorian, unless I have a different understanding of the term. Emotion, clearly not so much, you need a lot more dialogue for that.

I've honestly never heard of Loop or Devs, and I was warned off Watchmen, so you haven't answered my question to my satisfaction. (That's not a dig by the way, just I was hoping you might mention something that I personally knew of to prove me wrong).

Who the hell warned you off Watchmen? It’s fantastic.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I'd rather him be a clone trooper than Boba to be honest. But I am looking forward to what they do. 

• Upvote 1

Boba Fett would be only a few years older than Mando, so he could be in flashback either training with or training Mando.

I don't know if bringing Boba back post return of the Jedi would work as it would distract everyone from Mando himself.

If he is a clone trooper then Rex would be a good choice too, presumably he would know Cara dune as the are both rebellion vets.

Well Rex is officially in Return of the Jedi so we know he survived, it just seems to make much more sense than Fett.

• Upvote 1

MEMBER BOBA?!

No thanks. Why shrink the universe again like that.

No one’s ever really gone (as long as they’re profitable).

• Upvote 2

It’ll definitely be Rex and maybe other clones. It’s clear from the season 1 ending and casting for future seasons that the show will be a live-action continuation of Filoni’s animated shows, which is bad thing. Kallus would be another good addition to the show, I reckon. 

Bringing back Boba would be a pure Kennedy move. I reckon Solo killed off that idea. 

On 06/05/2020 at 16:54, Bazjam said:

I felt the same. It's good but in my mind it lacked urgency and peril.  

The thing I'll remember the most is boosting the centre channel for dialogue and hearing Pedro Pascal's tinny helmet grunts and groans during the big scenes. :-D

• Upvote 1