rllmuk
TehStu

The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

I wouldn't be against Disney building up a bunch of these series focusing on different parts of the Star Wars Universe and then crossing them over in an epic series in ten years time...

I’m hoping that in S2:

Spoiler

Mando gives up on finding the Yodasauruses and starts training his Foundling in a little Mandalorian helmet and jet pack.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m hoping that in S2:

Hide contents

Mando gives up on finding the Yodasauruses and starts training his Foundling in a little Mandalorian helmet and jet pack.

I've figured out where this is all heading. It's been staring us in the face...

"Boba Yoda"

• Upvote 2

On 06/01/2020 at 19:55, drmick said:

Because I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, I've always wondered if that thing is potty trained.

Wasn't there a space toilet in the very first episode of this? Does that make it the first and only live action star wars property to at least acknowledge the age old conundrum 'why don't any of the characters in star wars go to the toilet?'

2 hours ago, SM47 said:

Wasn't there a space toilet in the very first episode of this? Does that make it the first and only live action star wars property to at least acknowledge the age old conundrum 'why don't any of the characters in star wars go to the toilet?'

Aye, it stood out particularly to me because they branded it a 'Vac tube'. I guess that's 'toilet', I await the poo-doo style equivalent that means 'shitter'

Four episodes in so far. Like it generally, and definitely a good turn in the franchise.

It’s a lot cheesier than I’d imagined though and reeks of Disney at points. And I don’t mean baby Yoda, more the dialogue.

Overall really good though. More Witcher and Hobbit than JJ Abrams nightmare

Just finished this but not read any of the thread beforehand to avoid spoilers etc (I have no discipline with tags). Enjoyed it too - liked the western feel to it. There were a few moments that were a little daft or expositiony:

Spoiler

In the final episodes in the bar - why would Moff Gideon give them until Sundown?!?

And in one of the earlier episodes the armourer given on a big lecture about survival is "the way" and then proceeds to presumably sacrifice herself in the last episode).

Not sure if this needs spoilering but it was nice to have Richard Ayoade in this too. 

However, that aside I liked how it didn't lean on any of the main plot lines from the film's. I think all the star wars new content is better off taking that tact. Quite liked the theme tune too - reminded me a bit of Rocky for some reason which may be Carl Weathers fault.

• Upvote 1

I've not seen this but the memes have been unavoidable. A question: is baby Yoda actually Yoda as a baby, or just a baby of the same species?

1 hour ago, dug said:

I've not seen this but the memes have been unavoidable. A question: is baby Yoda actually Yoda as a baby, or just a baby of the same species?

The baby and Yoda were both alive at the same time at one point so it would be rather odd if the baby were Yoda.

No one knows the baby's origin yet: 

Spoiler

It may be a natural birth but there's also a possibility of it being a clone, as one of the people interested in it has hints of a link to the Kamino cloners. Though another character with some knowledge of such things does say they don't think the baby was engineered.

On 07/01/2020 at 09:53, SpagMasterSwift said:

I wouldn't be against Disney building up a bunch of these series focusing on different parts of the Star Wars Universe and then crossing them over in an epic series in ten years time...

Gundam is, to the Japanese, the Japanese Star Wars and has consistently been pumping out mostly decent universe expanding franchise films and series for decades using this model.

It’s no coincidence that the most successful, critically at least, of the new Star Wars are Rogue One and The Mandalorian which broaden what we know and introduce strong new elements. The ‘everyone with force powers is in some kind of directly related extended family schtick’ just doesn’t work anymore. Just as endlessly trying to revisit the same old characters from 40 years ago falls flat. Solo anyone? Leila goes to nursery?

Give me a story about the trials and tribulations of a rag bag of rebel (or Imperial) troopers slumming it in the Outer Rim any day.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, womblingfree said:

It’s no coincidence that the most successful, critically at least, of the new Star Wars are Rogue One and The Mandalorian which broaden what we know and introduce strong new elements.

:sealclap:

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here for weeks. Rogue One is the most creatively bankrupt, pointless checklist of old Star Wars bullshit they’ve ever created. No decent characters, no events that matter that we didn’t already know about, just an endless stream of Star Wars shit for easily amused fans to bark at like seals when they see a Death Star or something else they’ve seen before. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 16

How am I supposed to keep track of it then?!

If I have to work out when it is by reading Broker’s posts I’ll never get it right.

3 hours ago, Broker said:

:sealclap:

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here for weeks. Rogue One is the most creatively bankrupt, pointless checklist of old Star Wars bullshit they’ve ever created. No decent characters, no events that matter that we didn’t already know about, just an endless stream of Star Wars shit for easily amused fans to bark at like seals when they see a Death Star or something else they’ve seen before. 

5C7DC9B2-DE84-44AE-BEAA-D56A05AC100C.jpeg.f064340e78e93b4116e80bbf724cb7b7.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1