The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

2 hours ago, Delargey said:

I don't. Looks cool though. 

I'll spoiler it

Spoiler

The Darksabre was created by Tarre Vizla the first and only Mandalorian taken into the Jedi Order, after he completed his training he returned to Mandalore and ruled as Mand'alor.

(This next bit it's from the clone wars animated series)

The Jedi took the saber back after Tarre died but during one of the Jedi/Sith wars (during the old republic, possibly the opening cinematic of TOR called decieved) the Mandalorians broke into the jedi temple on coruscant and took it back and it became the symbol of leadership. If you defeated the holder of the saber in ritual combat you became the next Mand'alor.

It disappeared when the new Mandalorians took over but Pre Vizla (played by John favreau) of the death watch held it at the start of the clone wars and tried to overthrow mandalore and return them to their warrior roots. Darth maul beat him in ritual combat and ended up ruling Mandalore until he got kicked out at the end of the clone wars.

(Next bit is from Rebels animated series)

This is when the empire took over Mandalore and started the purge, the dark sabre ended up with Sabine Wren who gave it to Bo-Katan who she thought should be the next Mand'alor and unite the clans, I assume that went horribly wrong and that's how Gideon got it.  

That's as far as we got until now, so if the Mandalorian beats Moff Gideon he'll become the next Mand'alor and unite his people. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

Judging by reddit I'm guessing most people don't know the significance of what Moff Gideon has in his possession. 

I was expecting Skyrim blacksmith lady to give it to him given where we last saw it, but I’m just glad they included it.

21 hours ago, Moz said:

The Mandalorian wasn't perfect, but it was maybe the first time I really felt the ol' Star Wars magic since the DIsney takeover.  It should be considered a blueprint for the future of Star Wars. Smaller, focused, restrained, sparing, tight, meaningful and mysterious. Give Favreau and Filoni the reins to reimagine the franchise and the creative control to delegate to a diverse array of writers and directors sticking to the plan

I would go further and say that aside from the first two KotOR games, it's the best Star Wars since the original trilogy. (I haven't seen any of the cartoons, mind) It's maybe not perfect, but it's fun, coherent, and engaging. I can't say any of those things about either the prequels or the Disney movies - which are all a varying combination of badly paced sequences, boring danger-free CGI fests, illogical plots full of holes you could fly a death star through, jarring tonal shifts, a galaxy that feels smaller than the Netherlands, and annoying characters.

I don't want the Mandalorian guys to get involved in the movies tbh. They'd probably get bogged down in whatever dreadful creative swamp regurgitated the movies out into the world. Keep them making fun shows.

• Upvote 2

Somewhat unsurprisingly, I cannot add to the positive praise. It's funny that all the negative things Gerbik lists about the prequels or Disney movies are ones I find broadly present in The Mandalorian. This season as a whole has felt weirdly paced, and suffering from small universe syndrome with it's desperation to pander to fans of both the new and old films.   Similarly, Moz finds a series that's restrained, focused, and meaningful, whereas I see one that meanders all over the map and makes reverent noises around the lore while actually telling us very little. I went in wanting to love it, but every time I feel myself starting to get absorbed there's a fat wedge of tired tropes waiting right around the corner.  It really is Saturday morning cartoon fare, and for those who enjoy that, more power to you, but it had potential to be a lot more.

Last episode thoughts and spoilers:

It didn't feel like there were any stakes here. We knew IG-11 was going to wreck a load of Storm-troopers, even when it made no sense for him to do so (your primary objective is to protect the child, so rather than getting to the ship and off-world, you're going to attack Gideon's men with the child strapped to you? What the fuck is this I don't even...), but he's barely a character so his death ends up being a shrug rather than a sob. We knew the child would do some 'force-thing' and that box was ticked. The Mandalorian finally got his jet-pack and had an (actually pretty good) aerial battle with Moff Gideon. Ah yes, here's one of those illogical plot-holes for Mr.Gerbik - we see Gideon's Tie-Fighter go down, it doesn't explode, yet neither the Mandalorian or his chums are in any rush to go and make sure a potentially huge threat to them is dead. Indeed, Mando takes off without ever going to check. Best bounty hunter in the parsec, folks.

It's just not a show for me, I guess. With each new episode I find myself more bored or annoyed than entertained, so won't be coming back for the second season. 

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

I'll spoiler it

Hide contents

The Darksabre was created by Tarre Vizla the first and only Mandalorian taken into the Jedi Order, after he completed his training he returned to Mandalore and ruled as Mand'alor.

(This next bit it's from the clone wars animated series)

The Jedi took the saber back after Tarre died but during one of the Jedi/Sith wars (during the old republic, possibly the opening cinematic of TOR called decieved) the Mandalorians broke into the jedi temple on coruscant and took it back and it became the symbol of leadership. If you defeated the holder of the saber in ritual combat you became the next Mand'alor.

It disappeared when the new Mandalorians took over but Pre Vizla (played by John favreau) of the death watch held it at the start of the clone wars and tried to overthrow mandalore and return them to their warrior roots. Darth maul beat him in ritual combat and ended up ruling Mandalore until he got kicked out at the end of the clone wars.

(Next bit is from Rebels animated series)

This is when the empire took over Mandalore and started the purge, the dark sabre ended up with Sabine Wren who gave it to Bo-Katan who she thought should be the next Mand'alor and unite the clans, I assume that went horribly wrong and that's how Gideon got it.  

That's as far as we got until now, so if the Mandalorian beats Moff Gideon he'll become the next Mand'alor and unite his people. 

Thanks! I've only watched bits and pieces of the animated series.

This was great, particularly the last episode. There's easily a good film in there is they'd preferred to go that route. 

Also features the best piece of Star Wars in forever

Spoiler

Two Stormtroopers trying to shoot a can from short distance. 

• Upvote 9

Big improvement in the last two episodes, but it's still all a bit dumb and nonsensical. I think they should have made all the episodes at least 45-60 mins and tried to give the big moments more space. Aside from the fact that a lot of the writing is just plain poor, I think they've been caught between trying to do something epic that really works over a season or more and the standalone Glen A. Larson format. 

Maybe they will get more confident in season two and make it more coherent with greater depth. There is so much potential for something interesting with the universe, characters and budget they've got, but they need to let it breathe and think more about how to make it work as drama and less how they can stuff it with fan service at every opportunity.

• Upvote 1

I thought that was amazing. Yes, it’s full of holes, but I love it for what it is: stunning looking and sounding action adventure fare, with some engaging characters romping around my favourite fictional universe, and with the bestest, cutest thing in existence waddling along behind them.

In terms of Ep 8 specifics:

Spoiler

The two scout troopers shooting the shit, while failing to shoot shit, was the best scene in the whole series. And Apollo Creed trying to force a Deus Ex BabyYoda escape was ace. IG11 was awesome too - quality T2 send off.

It certainly has room to improve, but it will pay for itself in Baby Yoda merch (I got a very unofficial BY mug for Xmas :wub:) by the time they start airing S2, so hopefully it will have time to really hit its stride.

3 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Somewhat unsurprisingly, I cannot add to the positive praise. It's funny that all the negative things Gerbik lists about the prequels or Disney movies are ones I find broadly present in The Mandalorian. This season as a whole has felt weirdly paced, and suffering from small universe syndrome with it's desperation to pander to fans of both the new and old films.   Similarly, Moz finds a series that's restrained, focused, and meaningful, whereas I see one that meanders all over the map and makes reverent noises around the lore while actually telling us very little. I went in wanting to love it, but every time I feel myself starting to get absorbed there's a fat wedge of tired tropes waiting right around the corner.  It really is Saturday morning cartoon fare, and for those who enjoy that, more power to you, but it had potential to be a lot more.

Last episode thoughts and spoilers:

Hide contents

It didn't feel like there were any stakes here. We knew IG-11 was going to wreck a load of Storm-troopers, even when it made no sense for him to do so (your primary objective is to protect the child, so rather than getting to the ship and off-world, you're going to attack Gideon's men with the child strapped to you? What the fuck is this I don't even...), but he's barely a character so his death ends up being a shrug rather than a sob. We knew the child would do some 'force-thing' and that box was ticked. The Mandalorian finally got his jet-pack and had an (actually pretty good) aerial battle with Moff Gideon. Ah yes, here's one of those illogical plot-holes for Mr.Gerbik - we see Gideon's Tie-Fighter go down, it doesn't explode, yet neither the Mandalorian or his chums are in any rush to go and make sure a potentially huge threat to them is dead. Indeed, Mando takes off without ever going to check. Best bounty hunter in the parsec, folks.

It's just not a show for me, I guess. With each new episode I find myself more bored or annoyed than entertained, so won't be coming back for the second season. 

I can predict, with a fair degree of certainty, that you will be back for the second season.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, drmick said:

I can predict, with a fair degree of certainty, that you will be back for the second season.

Nah. I can see why you might think so, given my earlier posts, but I thought I’d give it a fair shake by watching the whole season (as it’s such a short one!) Barring a pretty major change in direction, there’s no reason for me to return for season two. Some shows are fun to watch and dislike because they take it to daft extremes, but this one I just find dispiriting. 

• Empathy 1
10 hours ago, jonamok said:

In terms of Ep 8 specifics:

Hide contents

The two scout troopers shooting the shit, while failing to shoot shit, was the best scene in the whole series. And Apollo Creed trying to force a Deus Ex BabyYoda escape was ace. IG11 was awesome too - quality T2 send off.

It certainly has room to improve, but it will pay for itself in Baby Yoda merch (I got a very unofficial BY mug for Xmas :wub:) by the time they start airing S2, so hopefully it will have time to really hit its stride.

Spoiler

The way it moved between them failing to hit the tincan and punching the bag with Baby Yoda in it had me cracking up. 

The last two episode were great. Best bit of Star Wars for years. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve just watched the first six episodes. Love it so far, although episode 6...

Spoiler

Has been my least favourite. The prison set was a bit “one corridor” in the vein of old Doctor Who.

Looking forward to the last two episodes. I like that they’ve kept it fairly light and fun, with action that I can follow. And that end credit music with the artwork... damn.

7 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I’ve just watched the first six episodes. Love it so far, although episode 6...

Hide contents

Has been my least favourite. The prison set was a bit “one corridor” in the vein of old Doctor Who.

Looking forward to the last two episodes. I like that they’ve kept it fairly light and fun, with action that I can follow. And that end credit music with the artwork... damn.

Yeah i went online and got all the concept art i could so i have rotating desktop wallpapers.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the finale and thought it was absolutely brilliant. 

Episodes 6-8 were all great. The rest I can barely remember, except for the AT-ST one, and not in a good way. 

Spoiler

I was really upset to see IG-11 go!

And the action scenes were fantastic. IG-11 on a speeder beats every chase scene in the new trilogy by a country mile.

This was great - although possibly the easiest gig Pedro Pascal will ever have.

He doesn’t really need to turn up for filming, and doesn’t have a lot of lines to record in post either.

Very much looking forward to S2 - hope that now they’ve tested the water they’ll do either longer episodes or a longer series.

I dunno, I think they got it just about perfect (that lame star trek village episode was definitely the low point) and while it left us wanting more, that's probably the best way to be left. There's strong potential for this to be a pretty one-note character and series - the mandalorian never shows his face and the baby never speaks - so they need to keep it tight and not overdo it I reckon.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Does it have the real one’s vaguely unhappy ‘just shat myself’ expression?

Because I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, I've always wondered if that thing is potty trained.