The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

5 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

you mean a bit like how star wars was like Saturday morning episodes of Flash Gordon?

Yeah.. which is why I like this 

Yeah, I have no problems with the tone, just the way it's giving us the barest hint of an overarching plot, then mostly ignoring it. Feels like it's been written so they can be played on repeat in any order on cartoon network, which is a bit strange for a web show where you don't have to worry about that sort of thing. Maybe it would actually be better if had really really leaned into it and made each episode a completely disconnected vignette? Make The Mandalorian just a stock character off which to hang one-off stories.

It's diverting enough, just a little insubstantial.

While not as down on last weeks ep as most, I can't deny that this week's felt like a big step up. Loved just about everything about it, from Ronin setup to the yet another instance of 'bust out the flamethrower (only to do sod all)' to the Reservoir Dogs nod and Osha's mad hamming it up as Twi'lek Catwoman. Somehow I totally failed to recognise Clancy Brown though, guess I really must get those damn glasses now.

As for the general discussion about the nature of the show, I'm fine with it being pulpy, old school adventures of the week. Not everything has to be some rolling, intricately plotted Peak TV style show, and it goes nicely with both the Western and classic serials feel that it's inspired by.

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Somehow I totally failed to recognise Clancy Brown though, guess I really must get those damn glasses now.

Nah, get your ears looked at. I clocked him the moment he opened his mouth. Its the fucking Kurgan! 

The 4th wall breaking jokes which are big winks at the fanbase are tremendous. The music has fallen into place perfectly, and the end credits are a highlight of every episode. It's all pretty tremendous actually, although I have to admit episode 4 was very Star Trek (and almost entirely Star Trek Insurrection at that) but saved by the awesome visuals for the climactic raid on the village.

I'm quite glad it hasn't fallen into 'epic season arc' cliche yet, and is keeping it simple and fun. If nothing else because it indicates we will get more after the initial 8 episode run is finished (all too soon).

I'm not a massive Star Wars fan, but I'm enjoying this. It's the A Team in space, what not to like?

Though I find it really funny that he's supposed to be a total badass, but he's properly rubbish in a fight.

6 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

This is good clean family fun.

On this, I'm finding his repeated use of a flamethrower a bit out of place. Especially the time he used it on a Stormtrooper, who screamed for a couple of seconds, as he burned to death. It would be almost completely kid friendly otherwise.

Thought that Ep 6 was pretty naff if I’m honest. Just too many call backs to old stuff.

A mouse droid - ooh the Death Star. A Devaronian - ooh the Cantina. A Twi’ilek - ooh Jabba’s palace. A four-armed monkey dude - ooh the pilot in Solo. A gungan reference - ooh some old shit I’m trying to forget. On and on.

The dialogue in the rest of it was plodding. All the naff laughing from Clancy, the terrible OTT Twi’lek woman, her wooden brother who looked like blue Eric Stoltz in The Mask.

The only bits I liked were Baby Yoda discovering mind control doesn’t work on droids, and how “Mando” (ugh) got out of the cell.

I know it’s a family show, but it’s becoming a bit too simplistic and childlike for me.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 2

Ep7 spoiler:

What’s weird, as a Star Wars nerd, is I never realised

Spoiler

Nick Nolte’s character was supposed to be an Ugnaut. No idea what species “I have spoken” was meant to be, but never pegged him as that. Too tall in my view vs Bespin Ugs.

I’m assuming Mando’s reference to it in Ep7 is the first time it’s been mentioned and I didn’t miss it in an earlier Ep?

On 19/12/2019 at 00:19, jonamok said:

Ep7 spoiler:

What’s weird, as a Star Wars nerd, is I never realised

Hide contents

Nick Nolte’s character was supposed to be an Ugnaut. No idea what species “I have spoken” was meant to be, but never pegged him as that. Too tall in my view vs Bespin Ugs.

I’m assuming Mando’s reference to it in Ep7 is the first time it’s been mentioned and I didn’t miss it in an earlier Ep?

Yeah I was surprised by this too, don't think it was mentioned previously and I certainly didn't realise beforehand.

The latest episode was enthralling

daughter and I were on the edge of our seats waiting for the droid to come out of the ship blasting to save the day. I couldn't imagine they would kill off queel (?) and was very upset that they captured baby yoda.

Very much excited to see Rise of Skywalker and then see how they wrap this up.

• Upvote 1