And the Captain said to me:
‘We’re going this way, that way,
Forwards backwards,
Over the deep blue sea.
A bottle of rum to fill my tum
And that’s the life for me’.

2 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

So, Star Wars then?

I know you’re being pithy, but not really. Well, not to this extent. It goes a bit further than ‘oh hey, an X-Wing!’ and everyone in the Star Wars universe using the same pair of glitchy vid-binoculars.  I guess they’re just picking up the baton that Abrams set down and running with it. 

5 hours ago, Treble said:

I think a lot of the creators struggle with how much to leave in and how much to take out. It's not even like the fandom can agree on what's a cool callback and what's glaring fan service, let alone more casual viewers.

Oh yeah, it’s a tricky balance but The Mandalorian does seem to lean into it more than most. I’ve been browsing the Star Wars reddit and some people love getting bonked over the head with a stream of nods and callbacks. I wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it if the series seemed to be going anywhere instead of behaving like it has 18-20 episodes to play with. In this case, the fan service feels like more of a distraction. 

16 hours ago, Garibaldi said:

Meandering, nostalgia bingo that remains oddly unconcerned about getting to the main story considering there are so few episodes to play with. 

I fully agree with you, but yet I still find it highly enjoyable.  Perfect to watch on a Saturday morning.

To be fair to the fan service.

Spoiler

If you go to Tattoine you want it to look like Tattoine! 

Plus at least it wasn't Special Edition Tattoine with tons of CG shit everywhere. 

My favorite bit was

Spoiler

When they panned across to the two Tusken Raiders who seemed more surprised that they were there than anyone else was. 

The relentless references and callbacks were actually tiring in this one. The lack of creativity is stunning, are there any decent writers working on any of this Disney era Star Wars stuff? It seems like it's put together by hacks using mood boards cannibalised from the previous films. There is hardly any plot at all.

After episode 6 I'm totally convinced they're trying out different things per ep, seeing what sticks.

This one's grittier than the rest combined, and with fewer nods, winks and callbacks than the last few. Fingers crossed this'll influence where we go from here. The best episode so far, I'd say :)

Spoiler

How is Bill Burr such a good actor?!

I think Natalia Tena is pretty awful and stagey to be honest, but there's room enough for melodrama and camp in this show to fit her in. Just.

Clancy Brown is always a joy, and I had no idea that was Richard Ayoade in the droid cozzie. Superb casting!

Baby Yoda continues to be too cute. I reckon the toys we've seen so far are nowhere near close enough/cute enough to warrant buying though :(

Set design was the star of this episode, but the use of space-based FX was really cool. The X-Wings coming in and wrecking shit at the end was superb.

I thought that was awesome

Ol freckles Billy burr was great and finally a cameo I loved

Spoiler

Filoni making his live action debut right? If anyone deserves it it's him, the guy is Star Wars for me these days.

Happy the door was left open for Burr to make a return at some point, he was really good.

On 12/12/2019 at 00:08, Liamness said:

Anyone else feel like this is just really big budget, live action saturday morning cartoon? For better or worse.

That’s exactly how it feels. No sense of stakes or real peril. It’s like Disney allowed them one genuinely surprising moment in the entire season, and we had that at the end of the first episode. This week’s episode was one of the better ones, but even then it’s just style over substance. 

I mean, fair enough if being like a Saturday morning cartoon was their goal, but if so it’s a disappointingly easy target to hit. 

My favourite episode so far, reminds me so much of the Clone Wars Bounty Hunters episodes, the characters were spot on for me.

Some of my fave bits:

Spoiler

Great use of some classic species again, this time good old Twileks and a Devaronian strong man. 

The New Republic security droids were straight out of Clone Wars.

Dave Filoni flying a classic X-Wing.

The Gungun reference/joke made me straight out laugh.

Overall I am just enjoying myself, this series is definitely made for long time fans of Star Wars, especially those who value the original films over anything else made to date.