rllmuk
TehStu

The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Hah, indeed. I usually don’t do it but was trying to get a broader cross-section of views. Turned out youtube was useless for that as it was effusive praise from all of them. 

Wait until the mask comes off and it's been a woman all along....

19 hours ago, Spleen said:

More like The Rocketeer. 

The Rockewho?

Three eps in and I’m loving this. Mando and friend are just such a clever pairing. Can’t wait to see where it goes.

• Upvote 1

I found episode 3 to be a tad too corny, the nods too on the nose, but really like how the stormtroopers sort of lumber about hunched like right villains. The reuse of location was a shame but hoping this will zoom off in search of new wonders from here.

It’s fine. It’s very much in keeping with the vibe of the original trilogy. Cheesy writing and a bit pantomime, loads of deaths but no blood or corpses and some really daft stuff that makes zero sense if you think about it for even a millisecond but as a tv series it kind of works. Watching it with my young daughters I can only Compare it to me at a similar age watching things like Knight Rider and The A Team.

I think I went into it with the wrong expectations of something more adult themed and orientated like GoT or Walking Dead, so I’m having to recalibrate a bit. 
I really like the music and the end credits are beautifully done

• Upvote 4

Technically I suppose so. This seems to be intentionally and precisely mimicking his style though. The end credits remind me of those portfolios of McQuarrie artwork from the original trilogy.

Star Wars has always been corny and cheesy, this is too high profile to get away with being too dark and mature.  Really enjoying it so far and have watch through the first three episodes a coulple of times.  Can't wait to watch it properly in good quality, what are the odds of a bluray realease before the UK Disney+ launch?

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Can't wait to watch it properly in good quality

I’ve been grabbing 4K HDR versions and playing them through Plex. Obviously there’s some compression, but it looks fantastic.

17 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Star Wars has always been corny and cheesy, this is too high profile to get away with being too dark and mature.  Really enjoying it so far and have watch through the first three episodes a coulple of times.  Can't wait to watch it properly in good quality, what are the odds of a bluray realease before the UK Disney+ launch?

I suspect a physical release will take some time.  They'll want to use it as a reason to sign up to Disney+ and it's going to be a while before they have any other original exclusives with such a high profile.  Wouldn't be surprised if it takes until Autumn/Christmas next year for them to release it physically as a way of building anticipation towards season 2, and when Disney+ will be streaming other new shows.

Episode 4:

Spoiler

Still really enjoying this. It's basically a Saturday morning show from the eighties - like A-Team or Knight Rider - but with better acting, and I'm cool with that. It reminds me of fifties telly as well, the era of the adventure serial. There's a lot of Western DNA in it, naturally, but it's steering clear of just having them eat space beans around the space camp fire, and riding into space Deadwood on space horses. Although there's a lot of that, too :D

I don't think it would have any emotional pull without Baby Yoda. He's stunningly cute and vulnerable, and having him be in peril pushes all the right buttons. 

Gina Carrano is passable in this, although does so little fighting you could have cast someone who can actually act ;) Bryce Dallas Howard's direction is good; she handles the Scout Walker scene particularly well. Nice to see them isolate one piece of Empire tech, so you get a sense of it being dangerous rather than something flimsy for the Rebels to carve through like turkey.

I'm sure some have higher expectations because it's Star Wars, like a grander narrative, but I like the smaller scale and i'm enjoying the show an awful lot.

• Upvote 2

Not a huge fan of this episode.

Spoiler

I totally agree with the 80s Saturday morning show vibe for this episode, but it felt very corny. Carrano needs some more acting lessons.

The whole "leave him here" thing makes no sense, given we know they all have fobs. 

And the Small Universe is kicking in again, as apparently "womp rat" is the only kind of small critter in the universe.

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So no mention of 

Hide contents

Seven Samurai, but with two samurai

in the thread yet

I didn't know that that was where the trope originated.

Spoiler

It reminded me of the Jump Good episode of Samurai Jack. Except that was about a million times better.

Big shift. Ep 4 was suddenly extremely...TV. I was trying to elaborate to myself on what the feeling/atmosphere of that ep was when it came to me. That was essentially just a late 90s episode of Stargate!

Edit: Wrote that post before echoing the comments above. Personally I'm still interested, one duff ep out of four isn't bad. 

People are (fairly) talking about how bad an actress Gina Carrano is.

But holy fuck at whoever was playing that small role of the waitress. She must have been one of the producers relatives or something. Some shady backwoods dive and she played it like he’d just strolled into TGI Fridays.

• Upvote 1

Phew! I came in here expecting to be the odd one out! 

Blimey that was pedestrian, just by the numbers, sub par stuff given the universe, characters and money they’ve got to play with. For me at least.

Some of the scenes, goodness me.

Spoiler

Teaching the farmers to fight.. the romance stuff.

Yikes!

• Upvote 1