rllmuk
TehStu

The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

On 20/11/2019 at 11:51, Capwn said:

I'm out after 1 episode. Just feels too 'Marvel' for me personally which just isn't my thing. The 30min running time felt like forever. Think I'll wait till the end of the season before considering jumping back in.

Is Santa bringing you some joy, this year?

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I really like it so far. I hope it carries on being sparse and simple -- like 25-minute stylish vignettes. I wouldn't mind if there was no dialogue at all, and I hope he never takes off the helmet.

Yeah, I was a bit lukewarm after the first one but now I’ve clocked the pace and what they’re trying to do, it’s got me hooked. 

2 hours ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Soft toys that you all require are being released next Friday....Favreau convinced Disney to hold off on releasing them for a few weeks...

A Werner Herzog plushie? 

• Upvote 5

Really enjoyed this weeks episode - espically ...(don’t click until you watch the epsisode) 

Spoiler

When all the mandalorians turned up and started kicking the bounty hunters asses that had mando trapped.  need a black series figure of the mandalorian heavy gunner!! 

5 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Really enjoyed this weeks episode - espically ...(don’t click until you watch the epsisode) 

Reveal hidden contents

When all the mandalorians turned up and started kicking the bounty hunters asses that had mando trapped.  need a black series figure of the mandalorian heavy gunner!! 

My little lad was absolutely buzzing with that. ‘A laser mini gun!’

• Upvote 3

Also, it makes that video someone posted the other day look even more ridiculous. How could anyone think he isn’t bad ass enough?

• Upvote 1

Re: Mando's flashbacks

Spoiler

Given in the first ep the baby may well have been looking up at IG-12 before being saved by Mando, I wonder if the final/complete version of his childhood flashback will show the Super Battle Droid about to kill him when Yoda or Yaddle show up and merk the shit out of it?

It's like poetry, it rhymes, etc.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Could Disney be setting up baby yoda...

Hide contents

..to be the “no there is another..” yoda speaks about in ESB?

That could be a really smart of way to setting up a whole new SW cinematic narrative outside of the skywalkers..

Wasn’t that referring to Leia? I could be wrong, but that’s what I’ve always thought.

Yeah, that was Leia.

I've caught up now. I'm really liking it. I don't get all the criticism of what it is. I don't even care if it's "too marvel" - it's a big universe, not ever story in it needs to be whatever people's idea of Star Wars is.

This is what I've wanted since Disney bought SW - stories that aren't linked to the originals.

Actually it wasn’t originally leia (as in the original shooting script). It was a reference to a mysterious other that was supposed to turn up in an Episode 8 treatment (circa 1980). Lucas just decided to wrap that thread up into Leia when he was sick of Star Wars in 82 and didn’t want to make anymore. 

Because of this, I've always felt it was pretty vague in ESB, and could be a possible opening for Disney to create new stories post the skywalkers.

Maybe.

I'm enjoying it, like i enjoyed Saturday morning cartoons as a child, but there's already a pattern emerging: lots of hero walking (including awkward staircase moments which the actor in the armour has to deal with very carfefully), lots of laser fights with weapon recoil faked by the actors, and cute Yoda moments (which admittedly are adorable because its a well designed puppet).

But, 3 x 30 minute episodes in, and not a lot has happened 

(summary: go here, get it, come back, get paid, change mind).

And with only 5 more to go, i can't see this season being anything more than an extended pilot.

The budget is clearly there, and no-one can deny it looks great. I think the score is way too loud and overbearing. It makes sense they're trying to sell the emotion of every scene with music given we can't see the protagonists face, but it simply doesn't work and drowns out the visuals.

I guess i was expecting more when you have free reign to play with one of the most lucrative franchises in popular culture. Makes me think of Rogue One, which i love! That movie successfully managed to be similar yet very different (mainly in tone). I wanted The Mandolorian to be like that, but so far it all feels very 'safe' - like everyone involved is more interested in keeping Disney happy, rather than the fanbase.

Guess we'll see. I have no doubt there will be Season 2 and beyond. It certainly has the backing. But does throwing money at a production equate to good TV? 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

On 22/11/2019 at 15:19, papalazarou said:

Reveal hidden contents

@papalazarou

• Upvote 1

Resisting from downloading this, but my god i’m wavering, it just sounds so good from the synopsis & recaps I’ve seen (there’s no point trying to avoid spoilers, they’re everywhere!)

In terms of why they want it:

Spoiler

Didn't Herzog say something about extracting a substance? I really hope they're not talking about midichlorians or some other form of Force Juice.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

In terms of why they want it:

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Herzog say something about extracting a substance? I really hope they're not talking about midichlorians or some other form of Force Juice.

It would make sense. 

Enhancing your average stormtrooper with..ehh...’midichlorians’ would make them far more formidable, and also extremely capable pilots as well. The remnants of the Empire probably feel this could be a way to rebuild their ranks and go on the offensive. They might have received word that Skywalker is now seeking to rebuild the Jedi order as well, which would be the nail in their coffin.

I’m on much the same page as @Curtis after finishing the third episode. Makes me feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I watch reviews on YouTube, and they’re gushing about the ‘deep characterisation.’ I mean, what? Fair enough if you enjoy the action and production values, but it’s as though finally having some Star Wars that’s set a few years post ROTJ has scrambled their critical faculties. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JPL said:

This is where you’re going wrong.

Hah, indeed. I usually don’t do it but was trying to get a broader cross-section of views. Turned out youtube was useless for that as it was effusive praise from all of them. 

The bit towards the end of ep 3 where

one of the other mandalorains flies along next to his ship was probably the cheesiest part of the show so far.

All in all this is the most enjoyable"bit of star wars" in a long time.

• Upvote 3