The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

I am so used to seeing Alien races in action roles restricted to the animated series (Clone Wars and Rebels) that it's strange to see Ugnaughts, Trandoshans, Nikto's etc in live action. Not that I'm complaining, I love it, we need more of it. For such a diverse universe of aliens that Star Wars has the new films are really shit at just giving us more human characters (and human background characters), its so boring.

I wasn't sure if I was enjoying this whilst I was watching it at the weekend but actually I can't stop thinking about it and want to watch it again. It's so... weird. In like a good, weird Star Wars way. The music is growing on me too! 

Got around to watching the second episode last night and really enjoyed it. I agree it feels too short for much in the way of character development, but it’s got the balance of humour and spectacle just right and feels the most Star Wars of everything Disney have done so far, for me at least.

15 hours ago, Bazjam said:

This isn’t grabbing me so far. I’ll stick with it, but it all feels a bit by the numbers. Not a big Jon Favreau fan.

It is very safe and by the numbers. Don’t think a single thing has surprised me so far, even the “big” reveal felt like ‘that’s X from Y.’ Second episode was largely filler, solely crafted to demonstrate... 

The child’s force ability

Thing is, with a combined running time of four hours, they can’t afford filler! 

i'm enjoying this, but i just wonder if they are giving away one of the last great mysteries of the star wars universe and will they be doing it cheaply?. i'm going to spoiler the rest just in case

Yoda was always a figure shrouded in mystery, 900 years old and no name for his race, no background story, no details of his master in the canon and now we have a 50 year old child from his race. Yes this has me hooked, but how much of the Disney "we've got star wars and will spunk out a movie every year to take your cash" ethos is behind this.

I want answers about yoda, i want some more mystery, i want the potential of a new powerful jedi coming to the fore, but i have a foreboding feeling that they may rush a pay off out of this series. I hope i'm wrong

from what i've seen so far i'm enjoying a lot.

I'm not keen on

the child being force sensitive at all, this means we've had three members of this species, all of them force aware, it's as bad as all the fanbase being desperate that Rei's from some strong force sensitive family

I do love that it's not dialogue heavy, don't get me wrong, I like talky stuff but think the way they're doing this is also working in its favour.

So Disney bought the universe and now they're trying to sell us counterfeited atoms on a subscription model.

The incessant soundtrack leaves no room for the emptiness of the world, and the world is full of worthless by-the-numbers hokum.

Truly awful.

2 hours ago, labarte said:

This video absolutely nails why it's shit and is far more entertaining than the actual show. Contains spoilers for the first episode.

Reveal hidden contents

I’m all for different views, but this is terrible. It’s too Star Wars/it’s not Star Wars enough. It’s boring/goes on to talk about the exciting action. He’s not bad arse enough/immediately goes on to talk about him killing all the dudes in the bar in the first 5 minutes. Loads of stuff like that all the way through. It’s just really contradictory and badly done.

Fair enough if you don’t like it, but that review won’t convince anyone it’s shit!

39 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s too Star Wars/it’s not Star Wars enough. It’s boring/goes on to talk about the exciting action. He’s not bad arse enough/immediately goes on to talk about him killing all the dudes in the bar in the first 5 minutes.

I think there is a problem with putting a load of fan service stuff in there, which fans will quickly find holes in because it hasn't really been thought through. 

I think it isn't boring because stuff doesn't happen but that stuff is so cliched and rushed it just becomes bland, and then when you think about it afterwards it doesn't really make that much sense.

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

The 30min running time felt like forever. Think I'll wait till the end of the season before considering jumping back in.

I would have liked it to be longer, to have taken a bit more time so that the story beats had more impact and meaning. The whole thing felt like a montage in a way. The bit where...

Spoiler

... he learns to ride that creature, it's not like there is ever any doubt that he will learn but it all happens in about 15 seconds so it doesn't even seem like a challenge, the character doesn't seem to be earning his progress in the story at all. 

I'll probably watch more of it because I like the universe but it does seem like a wasted opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, labarte said:

I think there is a problem with putting a load of fan service stuff in there, which fans will quickly find holes in because it hasn't really been thought through. 

I think it isn't boring because stuff doesn't happen but that stuff is so cliched and rushed it just becomes bland, and then when you think about it afterwards it doesn't really make that much sense.

Fair enough. Each to their own and all that. I’m enjoying it though and that’s good enough for me.

Caught up after having the bright idea of plugging the stick into my Sony Bravia telly, worked a dream!

Anyways, enjoying this so far. 

Spoiler

Really like how the Mandalorian didn’t know what the force was. Best bit so far was him stopping the child from healing his arm. That and the crazy taxi rank.

I loved the second episode, and incredibly so did my wife. This is someone who's made a point of leaving the room whenever I put a Star Wars movie on. She also wants a 

Spoiler

baby Yoda thing

for Christmas, so well done Disney marketers I guess.

It's still pretty shallow, but it's really good fun, looks amazing and I'm still loving the music too.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

She also wants a 

Hide contents

baby Yoda thing

for Christmas, so well done Disney marketers I guess.

I don't think the Disney marketing department had a single thing to do with it, or had any knowledge of it, hence Lucasfilm managing to keep it a secret right up until release.

Toy production and other marketing materials are notorious for being the source of many leaks about upcoming projects, and there was nothing on this.  I'm sure Hasbro and whoever are now scrambling to make something, but I think it's to Lucasfilm's artistic credit (and evidence that they are very much in artistic control, not Disney) that it's looking highly unlikely there'll be a single toy of "it" available for christmas.