rllmuk
TehStu

The Mandalorian - live action Star Wars TV show

Just watched Ep 1 - some of it looked great, some of it looked cheap, like they’d skimped on the textures that really make a difference to the cgi blending in well. And I still can’t get used to that ultra-real 4K look. It makes some of the sets look like sets.

But there’s enough in it that I enjoyed to keep me watching.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

why? 

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, pretty much. It just felt familiar.

Spoiler

The Jawas and their vehicle and the deserts. 

See, I was pretty 'eh' on Episode 1 but I loved the crap out of Episode 2. I could have watched Mando get clowned by those assholes all day, it was hilarious. And the other thing was cuter than the proverbial button.

Good stuff.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Yeah, pretty much. It just felt familiar.

Hide contents

The Jawas and their vehicle and the deserts. 

And the Bossks. We've got a Boba Fett and just had an IG-88. Next week a gang of rogue Dengars.

• Upvote 1

This is great. 

Spoiler

Episode two feels very lone wolf and cub. A powerful warrior wandering around with his little kid in tow. Love the mood of the show. 

also I need a cuddly baby yoda  

• Upvote 1

Best thing about it so far is all the artwork that runs with the credits.

That Rocky music still grates

disappointed the baby Yoda is force sensitive

I hope Pedro Pascal's acting is as purposely stiff as his ability to walk in that armour

Really enjoyed the first episode but I thought the second was shite. 

Spoiler

Less than 30 mins (when you take off the recap and the credits) of nothingness. Just a succession of empty action scene throwbacks to the original trilogy. I’d hoped that a tv series would give the time for some real depth about the universe after the fall of the Empire, and in fairness maybe it will  I’m less than optimistic at the moment though  

As I said to my missus when it finished last night, I’m more excited to see next weeks Apprentice than I am next weeks Mandalorian.

• Downvote 7
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

It does seem to have extraordinarily short running times on this - 33 minutes for the second episode? 

I thought this too, far too short imo. It left me feeling quite unsatisfied at the end, even though it was reasonably enjoyable up to that point. Take off the catch up and the end credits (which are insanely long time wise) and I believe its actually under 30 mins run time..

18 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

why? 

Hide contents

Because Jawas?

I'm guessing they are everywhere in the universe.

Like Liverpudlians.

These Jawas had red eyes. I don't think it's Tatooine. This planet has a different feel. I might be wrong but i like the idea of Jawas existing on other planets.

All the Jawa Juice can't just come from Tatooine :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bridger said:

Really enjoyed the first episode but I thought the second was shite. 

Hide contents

Less than 30 mins (when you take off the recap and the credits) of nothingness. Just a succession of empty action scene throwbacks to the original trilogy. I’d hoped that a tv series would give the time for some real depth about the universe after the fall of the Empire, and in fairness maybe it will  I’m less than optimistic at the moment though  

As I said to my missus when it finished last night, I’m more excited to see next weeks Apprentice than I am next weeks Mandalorian.

We've only had 70 minutes of it so far. Give the thing a fucking chance!

19 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

We've only had 70 minutes of it so far. Give the thing a fucking chance!

I’m giving it a chance and will be watching them all. It’s not like just 30 mins an episode is a lot of time to waste is it? 

• Upvote 1

I thought it was OK, mainly because of the package he's carrying, but it was fairly hollow. Main nerdy gripe:

Spoiler

Do Jawas only buy vehicles from one dealer? No matter which planet they're on, as well?! I thought them having the exact same vehicle as the one in The Motion Picture was just stupid callbackiness and talking down to the audience. 

Passable, yeah, but as others have said it was a bit wasteful of the short runtime. Some character building with the Grizzled Space Ugnaught TM would have been time better spent, I think. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Treble said:

I thought it was OK, mainly because of the package he's carrying, but it was fairly hollow. Main nerdy gripe:

Reveal hidden contents

Do Jawas only buy vehicles from one dealer? No matter which planet they're on, as well?! I thought them having the exact same vehicle as the one in The Motion Picture was just stupid callbackiness and talking down to the audience. 

But it's just

Spoiler

a work vehicle, suited to the work they do. Like a tradesman with a van or whatever.

• Upvote 3

Just now, JohnC said:

But it's just

Hide contents

a work vehicle, suited to the work they do. Like a tradesman with a van or whatever.

But:

Spoiler

If it was a space transit van, we'd have seen loads of them, scattered all over the other films, right? Also Mando banged his head as the roof was too low, so they're not for everybody. I dunno, it's not that big a deal but it annoyed me a little :)

35 minutes ago, Treble said:

Some character building with the Grizzled Space Ugnaught TM would have been time better spent, I think. 

I would watch a spin off show of him just walking up to people saying "I have spoken" then walking away.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

First two episodes should have been cut together into one hour long episode, IMO. 

I'd rather have x4 1 hour than x8 30 mins

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

First two episodes should have been cut together into one hour long episode, IMO. 

No way, it needed to have that ending shot. I think that scene, together with the concept art of the same shot that started the end credits, is going to define the whole series. It felt like a statement.

• Upvote 1