dumpster

Astro Bot - PSVR - Game of the year 2018.

Feels like PSVR is on a bit of a roll at the moment. Got this on order, and still got Moss, The Persistence and ZOE 2nd Runner to play through.

just done 1-1 & 1-2 in Astro Bot and it's fantastic. Beautiful looking, great sound and great platforming.

PSVR is indeed on a roll. I completed ZOE, still go the Persistence, Firewall, Creed and others to delve back into.Plus Evasion is coming on the 8th (i think) and that is looking gorgeous too. 

• Upvote 1

Every second is pure joy and it gets better and better. Each stage feels like a new masterpiece. I can’t recall ever being so constantly wowed by a game. Only Nintendo are supposed to be able to do this.

• Upvote 4

Nearly finished the second world. My mouth is either grinning like an idiot, or hanging on the floor at what I'm experiencing! Truly a brilliant, brilliant game.

This needs to be available to play in all game shops - people need to experience just how good this is. 

• Upvote 2

Got my first opportunity to play this this morning. I knew it was being well received but I wasn't quite prepared for how good it is. I've only played the first 3 levels of the first world but it's incredible. I loved the short VR playroom section but this is just on another level right from the off. The ideas and environments it's thrown at me so far in 3 levels put a few other platformers to shame. Also it's just so full of joy, everything about it is so playful.

Your ability to influence the levels is great as well as you smash through things (also had a lovely moment when I looked at one of the exploding cannon balls and it hit me in the face and 'cracked' the screen.) Also the enemies that attack you (with the paint splodges, which owes just a little to splatoon) as opposed to attacking Astro Bot.

The fact that it hasn't introduced gadgets for the controller yet and everyone who's played says it just gets more ingenious makes me wish I had the time to play more now.

It's always been the case with VR stuff, but it's amazing what a disservice the launch trailer does for this game, it just can't convey at all the sense of being in the level or the pure physicality or indeed wonderful scale of the environments.

• Upvote 2

Damnit.  I'd convinced myself to skip this, as I wasn't too fussed with the level on the demo disk.  But the PSVR hasn't been out of the box for a month or two, and I need a good reason to set it up again, so I've ordered from Argos.

You guys had better not be shitting me.

I finished level 2-1 before work today. This game is marvellous and it's just getting better and better. There are so many lovely little touches and controller interactions, and the verticality and sense of 3D space are the best I've seen yet in PSVR. VR has a very bright future if games like this are being made, and crucially, if they sell well.

• Upvote 1

Can somebody tell me whether the player "camera" movement still does the instant start/stop thing that it does in the original Playroom game, or if the motion is smoother than that? It made me nauseated.

(That is, when the camera scrolls forwards to follow the little bot around, it moves and stops moving instantly, without any feathering out. Instant acceleration without the inner ear feeling it happening caused me motion sickness.)

3 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Can somebody tell me whether the player "camera" movement still does the instant start/stop thing that it does in the original Playroom game, or if the motion is smoother than that? It made me nauseated.

(That is, when the camera scrolls forwards to follow the little bot around, it moves and stops moving instantly, without any feathering out. Instant acceleration without the inner ear feeling it happening caused me motion sickness.)

I don't know whether it's instant - all I can say is that no reviewers have mentioned nausea. It's been 2 years since The Playroom came out and devs have fuckloads more understanding about comfort levels and motion sickness, so I suspect they've sorted it out. 

17 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

It's petty similar, the first time it moved I felt a little lurch in my stomach, but fine from that point onwards. (My wife had the same issue as you with the playroom version, she almost vomited the instant the camera moved forward)

Sorry to harp on about this, but level 2.4 is simply amazing.

Spoiler

When you realise you're going to be on the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ride I was gob-smacked. Then when it all swapped onto the ceiling like Mario Kart :)  It's the game that just keeps on giving. No sickness, despite some fairly aggressive levels. I love the idea of locking onto stuff with your eyes, then throwing the bombs and balls. Genius. 

The physical copy says 1-4 players.... any ideas how that works? I know you can have 2 players in the playroom level....

4 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

Flipping hell!  The first proper water level smashes the idea that all water levels in platforms games are crap theory!!!

Yeah, the water stages are not only a contender for the best in any 3D platformer, the sense of water itself is really impressive and immersive. In one of the later ones when the camera went from the surface to underwater, for a brief moment my brain tricked me into holding my breath. :blush:

I’ve tried a couple of the challenge stages I’ve unlocked too. One was just a repeat of a boss fight where you’re not allowed to lose any hearts, which was a bit disappointing, but the other was a new timed obstacle course which was as fun as the main stages. I think there are 26 challenge stages so there’s plenty of game here for a VR title.

The soundtrack has some great moments too. This song from the lava stages is almost Splatoon level of fresh.

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

I wish the OP would change the title. This is a great game, and silly, facile comparisons do it a disservice. 

Don't be such a misery, it's only a bit of fun. Or maybe it's even true! I've no idea, it's exciting reading people's impressions regardless :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Don't be such a misery, it's only a bit of fun. Or maybe it's even true! I've no idea, it's exciting reading people's impressions regardless :) 

I've played it to completion, so I'm reasonably placed to comment. Yes, it's a 3D platformer, and yes, there are a few familiar ingredients, but it's a very different kind of experience. If you go in anticipating a 'Mario-beater' you might not get the kind of platformer you're expecting. I just think that kind of hyperbole is as likely to put people off as draw them in: it's not a remotely original or interesting thing to say, and this is certainly good enough to stand on its own merits. The things this does best have absolutely nothing to do with trying to be like Mario. 

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

If you go in anticipating a 'Mario-beater' you might not get the kind of platformer you're expecting.

Fortunately I wouldn't in the slightest because I'm not a complete imbecile, I just think you're just being a bit of a joy vacuum. It's only a throwaway thread title, gaming really doesn't have to be taken so seriously all the time, for most of us anyway.

• Downvote 8

So a small critical observation of a thread title about a game I've said is great in two posts - well, three now - makes me a 'joy vacuum'? Blimey. Either way, I don't wish to derail the thread any further so I think I'll bow out. Hope you enjoy the game, everyone - if you've got a PSVR I'd strongly urge you to give it a go. 

• Upvote 7

This is amazing. I think the Mario comparison is apt when it comes to the level of polish and charm on show. So many wow moments so far.

And just when I thought I'd seen it all, it pulls out an incredible underwater level.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Been playing this all night, mixed with some WipEout VR (I couldn’t resist).

It’s truly wonderful so far. Worth all the praise. So many ideas already, and I’ve only just completed 2-2. The first boss was huge, and so much fun to fight, and the extra abilities mix things up nicely. It’s definitely something Nintendo would be proud of, and just shows how much VR can add to a ‘normal’ gaming experience like this - it isn’t all about waving light-wands about the place.

2 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

Seems to be out of stock in most places, ordered from Base but they are waiting for suppliers.

Sold by Amazon

Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months.

fuck.

12 hours ago, AI1 said:

Edge 10 then?

I can't see them ever giving a 10 to a platformer that doesn't feature Mario.

Am I doing a bad impression of Mr Peanutbutter asking if I'm Jason Nevins? Because it's like that (what?!), and that's the way it is.

7 minutes ago, Escaped said:

I can't see them ever giving a 10 to a platformer that doesn't feature Mario.

Am I doing a bad impression of Mr Peanutbutter asking if I'm Jason Nevins? Because it's like that (what?!), and that's the way it is.

They gave a 10 to Little Big Planet, and that was shite.

• Upvote 1