Sign in to follow this  
Sidewaysbob

Inktober 2018.

I wish I still had my old drawings. Basically I drew when I was little, then fell out with it, then realised at uni I should have done Illustration, then got a job in retail and didn't do anything for ages, and only picked it up again in the last six years and would like to do it as a job. I've made some hideous mistakes in regard to this. 

What you do is 'do'. Draw. There are no shortcuts. There are helpful resources but you get out what you put in. I'm firmly of the belief anyone can pick this shit up with enough practice, all it takes is discipline. Which is why I'm so far behind where I'd like to be.

Anyway, as an example the left drawing was done in 2014 and the right in 2018. It's probably the biggest signifier of how far I've come in 4 years. Whether it's better or not is subjective :P

Donkey Kang The Comparison small.jpg

• Upvote 3

Sorry about this Moose :unsure:

I just didn't like yesterday's picture. So I did it again. 

Day 17. Welcome to Tataluue. (reworked because it's my story and I can)

And I did day 18 as well. 

Day 18. Don't bottle things up. #inktober #inktober2018 #ink #quink #art #arttherapy #sketch #sketchbook

I think day 17 looks a lot better now. More jolly and less first year art project "draw a whale and make it interesting" guff. 

• Upvote 2

Love everyone's work in this thread, I've always had a love/hate relationship with drawing that led to frustration and when I was sixteen I completely fell out of love with it due to a less than stellar experience doing a BTEC Art & Design course that I dropped out of before the first year was over. Have to say that @moosegrinders posts on Twitter/Facebook and conversations he's had with others on there plus my eldest doing GCSE has led to me digging out the pencils and sketchbook to give it a try again, I want to show her how important it's going to be that she has her own voice (she keeps using templates or "referencing" other people's work but hers ends up being identical). 

So, I only started yesterday and my plan is to spend half an hour each night sketching, she doesn't know I'm doing this but I'm planning on showing her my work once I've filled the current sketchbook but I'm also interested what my own voice will be like once I've gotten into the swing of things.

#1 Cyclonus

#2 Tetsuo

• Upvote 3

Go for it, I spent years avoiding any sort of art because I was terrified it wouldn't look like the image in my head. 

Then I met a fantastic teacher who tought me to enjoy painting and sketching. 

However. 

I have failed to even start today's inktober picture. 

:mellow:

Two tomorrow, I promise 

Day 20. 

Don't drink and paint kids, or you end up painting stupid hands that will annoy you for like forever <_<

Anway, if this was easy we'd all be doing it. :unsure:

Day 20. Time to look inside.

• Upvote 2

My latest two

#3 Spike (really don't like this, I think it looks awful and the amount of times I erased parts was ridiculous, just couldn't get what was in my head onto the paper)

#4 Pyro Jack (loved doing this one and I think it shows, considered adding colour to it but I was pushing the 30 minute mark id set for this project)

• Upvote 1

Day 22. 

Another one for the "it looked better in my head" pile. But I've decided that yesterday's is bloody good so this just balances out the equation. :D

Day 22. Happyness isn't expensive. #inktober #inktober2018

• Upvote 1

I feel like I'm developing a bit of a pattern of one drawing I'm pleased with followed by one I'm not pleased with and so on.

• Upvote 2

Day 27.

This one is pretty special for me. This is Monet's Le Femmè parasol and the first painting i truly fell in love with. When I saw the original in the museum D'Orsey I cried. It's just so beautiful.

So I wanted to add it to the story to show the greys mans confidence and skill has grown to such a high level. 

Pretty happy with the result :wub:

Day 27. Thunderous painting. #inktober #inktober2018

• Upvote 4

I had a severe case of the "Fuckthats" and fell out with trying to do cartoon heroes because they were dull as shit, so I decided to do some monsters with normal names. 

Bethany Williams.jpg

Bethany Williams

Brian Fansworth.jpg

Brian Farnsworth

Felicity Perkins.jpg

Felicity Perkins

George Mendoza.jpg

George Mendoza.

• Upvote 3