Sign in to follow this  
Sidewaysbob

Inktober 2018.

This is all the rage on Instagram, well I think it is in the creative bit I frequent. Anyway, this is my third year and I'm going all in. 

The idea, if you've not seen it, is to create an ink drawing everyday in October. There are various suggestions on topics or key words if you're short of inspiration but the idea is to dig out the ink and paper from behind the digital workstation and go back to basics. Then you post the picture on Instagram with the #Inktober2018 and enjoy the community feels. 

This year, as I said, I'm going all in. I've written a story which I'm going to illustrate over the coming month. All rather ambitious, but it's a story I've been thinking about for years and if I don't do it now, I never will. 

So here is day 1.  You'll have to find me on Instagram to read the story ;)

Sidewaysbob2002

Cheers 

#Inktober2018 week 1 day 1.

• Upvote 8

Day 7. And the end of the first week. 

I'm pretty happy with the results so far, I'm getting the picture done in time and they've pretty much been the pictures I had in my head. Which is always a bonus.

Anyway, day 7. Exhausted with it all. 

Day 7. He was exhausted!

• Upvote 5

Day 8. Star runner. 

This is the first one I'm not happy with. I've lost the figure in the first panel and overworked the the second. And I'm suddenly worried the story this week might be a little weak.  

Crisis of confidence alert!!!! 

Day 8. star runner.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Day 8. Star runner. 

This is the first one I'm not happy with. I've lost the figure in the first panel and overworked the the second. And I'm suddenly worried the story this week might be a little weak.  

Day 8. star runner.

You're doing a sequential story from page to page in a sketchbook, which most people wouldn't dream of attempting in the first place and you're smashing it. 

If I tried something like that I'd probably end up erasing over the first page before the ink was dry and starting it off with a massive smudge or something equally daft! 

• Upvote 1

On 08/10/2018 at 22:01, Sidewaysbob said:

Day 8. Star runner. 

Day 8. star runner.

Looks good to me. I really like the effect on the bottom panel

Cheers, I really appreciate the vote of confidence :wub:

And now to day 9. The prep sketch for this looked ace, then I got a little over confident and messed up the runners face a bit. But, I struggle to make profiles work anyway so I'm happy that it looks almost like a person running. And I'm happy with the two panel theme I think, so I'll keep that going this week. 

Day 9. Precious life, run, run.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Albert Fish said:

Looks good to me. I really like the effect on the bottom panel

My art teacher introduced me to quink about a year ago and then showed me what happens when you hit it with bleach. I love that deep golden colour you get. But it's  very temperamental stuff, one minutes loverly golds and reds, then next it's gone everywhere and made everything white. 

And it does something to the paper so if you ink over it the ink with spreads out immediately. Or bleaches or does nothing. 

You have to accept a certain amount of randomness and letting go with the technic. When it works its brilliant, when it wants to be a bastard it's very frustrating :D

And finally, I have to say I'm loving the world leaders as animals the characterisation is superb. Is it inspired by Bryan Talbots grandville series at all? 

It's a great effect, adds some nice chaos to the page.

Thanks very much re my pics. I hadn't read Grandville (just looking at it I'm glad I haven't used a badger for any of my pics) I just got the idea into my head that I'd like to draw a load of authority figures with random animal heads

• Upvote 1

I'm well behind now, probably not going to make the full 31 (I managed 30 last year, but they weren't colour). I'm still going to carry on at my own pace, might try and claw back some lost ground with some simple b/w studies, just going to see where my whims take me.

day4.jpg?format=1000w

day5.jpg?format=1000w

day6.jpg?format=1000w

day7.jpg?format=1000w

• Upvote 7

You're are all so talented, how did you even begin to start drawing like this? I'd love to be able to just sit down and draw/paint stuff like this

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

You're are all so talented, how did you even begin to start drawing like this? I'd love to be able to just sit down and draw/paint stuff like this

latest?cb=20120117232137

(EDIT: For the sake of clarity, I was basically my school's Napolean Dynamite!)

• Upvote 2