rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

On 01/12/2019 at 08:59, CrashedAlex said:

I would not be at all surprised if the whole scene of 'exclusives' as we know it fades away a little going forward. I fully expect to see all of the MS stuff available for PS owners and the same with Nintendo and Sony stuff.

"...but only if there are meaningful exclusives" is something I read a lot written by PC owners talking about how they might be swayed by such a title.

If anything, the exclusive content is probably coming from Google, Apple, Amazon and Facebook going forward. Any of them could give a developer 10x the budget that Sony or MGS could think of. They all want disruptive titles that have a pre-built following on social media thus massively reducing their marketing spend and overall risk.

It's going to be an exciting few years.

People said this about exclusives at the start of the last generation, but it didn’t play out that way in the end with MS struggling to offer customers reasons to buy their console, and Sony cleaning up in part because of really strong exclusives. 

So I still think exclusives are important *especially* for driving Stadia Pro subscriptions which is surely their aim. I mean ironically their current model of just selling games for full price seems dated compared to Game Pass, Apple Arcade and even PS Now - so I would have thought that kind of model really relies on those killer apps to keep driving it. 

Apple seem to be taking a different route altogether with Arcade, which is excellent btw, but Facebook and Amazon? I see nothing interesting on the horizon from either of them, unless you’re including Oculus of course. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

People said this about exclusives at the start of the last generation, but it didn’t play out that way in the end with MS struggling to offer customers reasons to buy their console, and Sony cleaning up in part because of really strong exclusives. 

Nah, the PS4 didn’t sway people with a load of decent exclusives at launch. It was the fact it was more powerful and cheaper that got a lot of people on board. The exclusives came way later.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Nah, the PS4 didn’t sway people with a load of decent exclusives at launch. It was the fact it was more powerful and cheaper that got a lot of people on board. The exclusives came way later.

It did to begin with but those exclusives certainly helped drive sales and divert attention away from the completion - you have to remember that MS price matched Sony pretty quickly after launch, but it made little difference. 

I’d say they’ve had good exclusives from around 2015 onwards, but even The Last of Us Remastered sold 10 million so it’s certainly helped them. 

Put it this way, if Stadia had a Halo or a Gran Turismo, Uncharted etc. then I think there would be a lot more people interested in it right now. 

Just now, Stanley said:

It did to begin with but those exclusives certainly helped drive sales and divert attention away from the completion - you have to remember that MS price matched Sony pretty quickly after launch, but it made little difference. 

I’d say they’ve had good exclusives from around 2015 onwards, but even The Last of Us Remastered sold 10 million so it’s certainly helped them. 

Put it this way, if Stadia had a Halo or a Gran Turismo, Uncharted etc. then I think there would be a lot more people interested in it right now. 

Yeah, you’re right. I misread your original post. I thought you meant exclusives drove the initial sales of the PS4.

I hate exclusives anyway. Personally I’d love to just own one console and be able to play anything I want on it. That’ll never happen though, as, like you say, the console manufacturers use them to drive sales of their consoles. It’s pretty anti consumer and not something I think should be celebrated.

I seem to recall that the really good PS4 exclusives took a long, long time to start filtering through. For the first few years, it had classics like Killzone: Shadowfall, Knack, and Infamous: Second Son, which are all OK in their own right but hardly system sellers. IIRC, Driveclub was the first big exclusive, and while it eventually evolved into a brilliant game, it was a bit wonky and thin at launch. In my mind, Bloodborne was the point where the system exclusives started to really shine.

Bloodborne is why I bought my PS4, everything exclusive before that was a slightly nicer looking PS3 game or one of Sony’s embarrassing games were you play as a nineties cool guy.

Thing about Stadia is it could potentially do exclusives that couldn't be done on regular console with storage restrictions. It'll be interesting if they can take advantage of that. 

I was thinking that. If the new Flight Simulator can have a huge world because it’s streaming the terrain data to you rather than including it in the download, then theoretically could any stadia game be that big? Could you much more easily have a GTA style game with a map the size of America because you only need to get the data onto the server once, rather than to everybody’s machines?

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Thing about Stadia is it could potentially do exclusives that couldn't be done on regular console with storage restrictions.

Except the can use the Cloud.

On 01/12/2019 at 12:58, CrashedAlex said:

I went to my first PAX show last March.

I was on the indie booth with developers small and larger. Most of the show was Facebook, Sony, MS and then NTDO. 

I wonder how it will be next year when it's Facebook, Apple potentially, Google and Amazon and then the other guys?

Great show though. 

Wheres the evidence Google are going to be such a big player when it comes to financing games? Not trying to be a dick here but if you look at the last 18 months or so it's hard to believe Google are going to become a big player in terms of financing games very quickly.

Sony-Bought Insomniac. 

Apple-Threw a great big pile of cash at games for Apple Arcade.

Microsoft- Bought seven studios and opened two more. 

Facebook- Financed a bunch of Occulus exclusives and recently bought the Beat Saver developers. 

Google- Launched a new platform with one exclusive with very little exclusive content announced and recently started at least one new studio. 

Obviously as someone inside the industry you'll be more clued in to what sorts of moves Google are making behind the scenes (I'm not asking for trade secrets or anything like that here) but as someone on the outside looking in it's hard to see Google producing an Uncharted or Zelda level exclusive in the near future. 

Said it before, and I'll say it again: The first streaming service that has a turn-based strategy title with physical depth well beyond any current machine, to the point you can only play it on the service, gets my money gladly.

That's where streaming can really offer an unrivalled experience without any compromises. I imagine Valve and ProjektCD are in the best positions to make good on such a thing, but God knows if either will.

On 01/12/2019 at 21:14, Hass said:

Presumably Doom Eternal is a system seller here in March given that many folks upgrade on new Id tech. It will be interesting to see how Id fair with the Stadia conversion but they were an early supporter IIRC. 

Doom 2016 was pretty scalable and ran very well so it doesn't demand insane hardware. Same core engine I believe now. 

Doom is also more of a twitch shooter (see speed runs of how insanely responsive the game is) than others and really comes into its own at 120fps+ which stadia can't do. 

So don't think that will play out as doom is a case where higher fps is better than visual fidelity. The game is designed around super fast gameplay rather than looks. But will be a good way to play beyond console settings so still a good thing 

38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What could they do in a streaming TBS that they couldn’t on a PC or console? Genuine question as it’s a genre I love too. 

I'm assuming they could do physical world stuff to a much deeper extent, more quickly, with the oomph available. So just far deeper physical interactions which would exponentially increase playability through so much emergent potential. But to do that you'd have to develop for the streaming platform, and that alone.

10 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I'm assuming they could do physical world stuff to a much deeper extent, more quickly, with the oomph available. So just far deeper physical interactions which would exponentially increase playability through so much emergent potential. But to do that you'd have to develop for the streaming platform, and that alone.

I genuinely don't understand what that means in terms of gameplay.

• Upvote 2

...just putting it out there...people do realise stadia , is NOT a cloud platform?? its like Xcloud (when you log into it you use an xbox one S), with better specs, each person logs onto an instance of a piece of hardware...

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

...just putting it out there...people do realise stadia , is NOT a cloud platform?? its like Xcloud (when you log into it you use an xbox one S), with better specs, each person logs onto an instance of a piece of hardware...

Probably not, then again isn't that the problem. It's been poorly communicated from start to finish.

Also will people care? What's important is that it works.

At least one developer had the impression it was some kind of cloud platform during the pre-release hype.  I've been trying to find the interview for a while but it was a video with someone I can't remember the name of, which makes searching tricky, and reduces my point to "some bloke said..." :)

However, "some bloke said" that Stadia 'freed' them from traditional console development limitations as you could just rope in extra processing power if you needed it.  They made it sound like you'd just 'turn a knob', but I guess with it being individual instances you could still rope in extra instances for your world modelling or whatever.

Edit - this isn't the thing I was thinking of, but here's a more recent (but still pre-launch) article where the author seems to believe the 'cloud' part, saying "In the datacentre, CPU and GPU capacity is as powerful as the developer needs it to be to run its game." 

19 hours ago, 5R7 said:

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that there's no virtualization later above the underlying hardware or something different?

What @Mr. Gerbik said.

When you use it, you are using a fixed piece of hardware, and sending the output to your screen.

The hardware specs of each piece are set. like xcloud. When you log into that, you are using an xbox S (with a slight CPU tweak) to send the output to your screen. This is the same, but, with better specs! its not like the "power of the cloud"  eg what microsoft showed with crackdown 3, although, that does exist in the multiplayer, where the destruction is being calculated by a server.

Basically, you log on, you have a fixed set of specs, a computer stored somewhere far away if you will, and the output goes to your screen.

20 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

What @Mr. Gerbik said.

When you use it, you are using a fixed piece of hardware, and sending the output to your screen.

The hardware specs of each piece are set. like xcloud. When you log into that, you are using an xbox S (with a slight CPU tweak) to send the output to your screen. This is the same, but, with better specs! its not like the "power of the cloud"  eg what microsoft showed with crackdown 3, although, that does exist in the multiplayer, where the destruction is being calculated by a server.

Basically, you log on, you have a fixed set of specs, a computer stored somewhere far away if you will, and the output goes to your screen.

Are you saying this because you've got inside knowledge or because Google have published something?

18 minutes ago, Hass said:

Are you saying this because you've got inside knowledge or because Google have published something?

Google haven't said anything to say it is anything more than accessing a certain set of specs - the tech isn't the hardware on the other end - it's the connection between you and the hardware and the ability to connect to it easily which is meant to be their USP.

Forget being able to go beyond current hardware - they currently can't even match it (presumably for economic reasons). My own home built PC exceeds the current horsepower of what a Stadia experience could give. 

Sure google can upgrade but then so does the rest of the market - if they have said they can use several of their fixed set servers at once to do crazy things that would be interesting!

On 02/12/2019 at 18:57, Broker said:

I was thinking that. If the new Flight Simulator can have a huge world because it’s streaming the terrain data to you rather than including it in the download, then theoretically could any stadia game be that big? Could you much more easily have a GTA style game with a map the size of America because you only need to get the data onto the server once, rather than to everybody’s machines?

you’d have to create the content. You can already have a game with a map the size of America (it’s called the crew). Flight simulator works because you don’t need the neighbourhood by neighbourhood street level interactive detail.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

What exactly do people think ‘the cloud’ is?

On what technicality is the nature of Stadia being debated as to whether or not it’s cloud? 

There appears to be confusion of whether you can connect to stadia and tap into resources beyond a fixed hardware set

The key example is when crackdown 3 was originally announced and MS said it would tap into their azure servers for processing power beyond the specification of the hardware you were playing on

Just because you're connecting to a piece of hardware remotely doesn't mean you get access to beyond that hardware