rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

1 hour ago, CrashedAlex said:

But hey let's see. I'm an early adopter. I had a Jaguar AND had the Jag CD. And I had a 3DO.

(I only kept one of them mind you...)

Pffft, no CD-i? Lightweight :P

• Upvote 1

Ok, I'm in - Destiny 2 on OLED, wired through Chomecast, 80ish Meg Fibre - it's really good. I'm unsure at the moment if the whole flip to a Pixel 2 / Pixelbook thing made it to the roll out, but will be trying that out tonight.

I had doubts about the controller, as I'm not a fan of that style of layout of the analogues... but it feels really nice. Triggers especially.

• Upvote 1

I still don't get it. If the free version of Stadia was available right now (though I doubt it will ever arrive), you'd play in 1080p/30 (at best), and while that would (potentially) cost you nothing, you'd still need games, and buying three big name games from Stadia would cost you north of £150.

A week on Friday you can nip down to Lidl (for example) and get an all digital Xbox One S, with 3 months of game pass for £130. That's hundreds of games, plenty of big names, and (close to) 1080p/30 most of the time. For less money.

So, equivalent console-based gaming to the free Stadia service are effectively cheaper than the free service. You don't need to spend anything like £500 for a great console experience (as mentioned earlier).

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

In a car game, stuff like Weather, Dynamic Weather, and even a Rear View Mirror drawing properly all go out the window early on in development.

On NFS HP nine years ago we did the mirror but made it sort of "Tron stylised" as the HW wasn't strong enough to be able to draw anything in it properly - yet it was needed to aid the gameplay - you wanted to deploy the Spike Strip when you knew someone was behind you.

I imagine the resources available lead to some cut corners. I recall a recent-ish game (GT maybe?) where everything in front of you looked glorious, but in the rear-view mirror you could see things quickly erasing themselves from existence as they got further away... :D 

It strikes me if you're that bothered about a 4k/60 experience you'd be invested enough to buy a PC that can do that. I just don't get how that's going to work consistently with a broadband infrastructure as shit as the UK has.

17 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I still don't get it. If the free version of Stadia was available right now (though I doubt it will ever arrive), you'd play in 1080p/30 (at best), and while that would (potentially) cost you nothing, you'd still need games, and buying three big name games from Stadia would cost you north of £150.

A week on Friday you can nip down to Lidl (for example) and get an all digital Xbox One S, with 3 months of game pass for £130. That's hundreds of games, plenty of big names, and (close to) 1080p/30 most of the time. For less money.

So, equivalent console-based gaming to the free Stadia service are effectively cheaper than the free service. You don't need to spend anything like £500 for a great console experience (as mentioned earlier).

I think that's a fair appraisal of the current state. But things can rapidly shift towards a streaming based service when the next big thing requires a console upgrade.

Doom Eternal may prompt folks to consider a PC upgrade for example - that was originally a launch title but Id bumped it to March. You'll also start running into games late next year which are only available on the next gen platforms. Folks will then have a choice between hardware investment or a sub at that point. Given that the hardware will likely be £399 if recent history is anything to go by, that's an interesting comparison against an £8.99 sub when you're not even sure if the game is any good.

I'd also be very surprised if Google doesn't react to Game Pass in some way.

Ultimately this is what competition is all about and we gamers can only benefit. 

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It strikes me if you're that bothered about a 4k/60 experience you'd be invested enough to buy a PC that can do that.

I don't see those things as being mutually exclusive; lots of people like shiny graphics but don't necessarily have the funds to buy a £1k + GPU to experience it (let alone a full system rebuild). 

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I'm not necessarily the average punter - I have a top end PC, Switch, Xbox and game pass already. I like shiny things and new tech.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It strikes me if you're that bothered about a 4k/60 experience you'd be invested enough to buy a PC that can do that. I just don't get how that's going to work consistently with a broadband infrastructure as shit as the UK has.

I disagree - I'd personally love 4k/60 but that's a hugely expensive hobby to stay on top of in PC land. Most PC gamers aren't experiencing this by a long shot.

Plus the endless fucking around both with Windows 10 and getting the games to actually run properly remains a labour of love. 

• Upvote 2

4k/60 on PC is pretty hard and pretty expensive. As Google seem to be finding out.

My PC is pretty high end (But not ultra high end. I have a 2070 rather than a 2080TI) and I've settled on 1440p/60 for almost everything (Destiny 2 and Warframe are two remarkable exceptions). It's very interesting that Destiny 2 is running at such low detail and Rez on Stadia. I'm sure it doesn't need to. Red Dead 2 is less suprising but still very disapointing.

3 minutes ago, Flub said:

4k/60 on PC is pretty hard and pretty expensive. As Google seem to be finding out.

My PC is pretty high end (But not ultra high end. I have a 2070 rather than a 2080TI) and I've settled on 1440p/60 for almost everything (Destiny 2 and Warframe are two remarkable exceptions). It's very interesting that Destiny 2 is running at such low detail and Rez on Stadia. I'm sure it doesn't need to. Red Dead 2 is less suprising but still very disapointing.

Am I right in thinking that Google said Stadia was 10.3 flops of gcu? That's basically a shade over a 2080 I think. Can a 2080 run RDR2 at 4k with all the glitter on?

4 minutes ago, Hass said:

Am I right in thinking that Google said Stadia was 10.3 flops of gcu? That's basically a shade over a 2080 I think. Can a 2080 run RDR2 at 4k with all the glitter on?

Dunno. But it could certainly run it with almost all the glitter at 1440/60. Hell. I can do that on my 2070 and it's fucking glorious (My PC for reference cost 1700 prebuilt from Scan). Why it's running at the settings it is but at 1440/30 is fucking weird to say the least.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

I don't see those things as being mutually exclusive; lots of people like shiny graphics but don't necessarily have the funds to buy a £1k + GPU to experience it (let alone a full system rebuild). 

That's me. My PC will need some sort of upgrade next year to keep up with the next gen of games  Although not sure where I'm going with the next gen of machines at the moment not really interested in investing in any new hardware TBH so if Stadia takes off might be a nice option to get a way to play the new games with a low barrier to entry in terms of cost 

Suppose it depends on what games they can secure on the service. Not to fussed about 4K TBH 1080p @ 60fps works for me so long as the experience is stable 

Also like the idea of a game being instantly on patched and ready to go at any point. Patching and installs have been a major annoyance this gen for me as invariably if I haven't had a console on for a bit there is a system update and on release most games require a huge patch (Shenmue 3 being the most recent one patch was nearly as big as the install).

The other thing is the play anywhere thing. Odd time at work during lunch or whatever I could just have 30 or so minutes catching up on a game and I don't have to carry hardware with me (other than perhaps a pad)

I also like the fact I can play on the big screen in the lounge if I want ... Or if the other half wants the TV I can just go upstairs and use the PC monitor to continue. 

It's very appealing if they can make it work well. It will suit my current play habits these days really well. Convenience Is king for me. As well as cost....

To add also keeping an eye on MS's cloud solution. If they can get gamepass on there and my current digital collection on there too as well as my old 360 games that currently work on the XBO that will be me sold I think! :)

3 hours ago, Hass said:

It's 10.3 tflops of AMD GPU which is nowhere near a 2080. That number puts it around the RX Vega 56 (but with Vega 64 memory).

image.thumb.png.45a5f423b5d327f32341ee7660029b62.png

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

Whilst I agree with this post. Good luck with the bolded bit. It will be carnage trying to get that. 

I don't think the current product is going to entice people who already have a console or a PC.

Also, the Xbox One S could be £50 and I know people who will not get one.  People live in small places and decluttering and minimalism has been a fast growing trend.

I know people who *could* buy a PC but don't bc they find them ugly to look at and don't want the cables or anything plugged in.

One of the appeals of the streaming service is not having anything. That may not appeal to teenagers who are finding their way in life and looking to acquire symbols of status. But as you get older and the more you move house you sometimes let things go.

I used to have a HUGE gaming collection. ALL the hardware ALL the games and a selection of acquired Tokyo tat. All gone now. Likewise, book collection, movie collection. Times change. I've had Sky Television from the first week of launch but the dish has recently come down. Likewise the BT landline is going too.

I think the appeal will be NOT having anything physical and NOT having to install/upgrade/patch - it's there when I want to play.

I remember iTunes launching. No one I knew used that other than the audio guy in the office who used a Mac for work. But then it did.

Same with Netflix. I was all over BDs myself. My home connection did not improve for several years. But then it did.

It could well be another Ouya, CD-I, 3DO etc. But they are well positioned for the year ahead. There's a huge global audience out there who want to play - and who have a phone or screen - that's pretty wonderful really. More people coming to enjoy this amazing hobby..

As my doppelganger @MattyP says above 'convenience is key for me' and I think that is spot on.

• Upvote 6

@CrashedAlex Good point regarding clutter too. Think that's the other thing personally like the idea of not having a box near a TV. In fact just moved house and the TV is wall mounted with a bluetooth soundbar underneath it. No tables or cabinets. The gaming kit is out of the way in a "man den" room which still isn't ideal but need a PC workstation for work so it has to stay for how.

Having just a pad to tuck away will be great. This is kind of why I like the Switch so much hardly takes any space. 

Probably an age thing but these days for me less is more.

Also, buying another Chromecast for £60 makes it a realistic option to have it in more than one room. 

This is the sort of thing that appeals to me, if they'd only got the launch right. 

Still want Football Manager, Dammit. 

I have no opinion one way or another about Stadia (if I do end up getting one it probably won't be for a while) but when the connection becomes unstable...

On 20/11/2019 at 13:06, SteveH said:

Controller breaks out of warranty and you want to repair it yourself? Good luck with that one:

I watched it last night.  The controller is ridiculous.  Literally impossible to get into.  Even to replace a battery.

16 hours ago, Hass said:

Just played a few rounds of PvP on D2 now that the game is filling up. It's very, very good.

That is good to hear, but my concern with games such as Destiny is the low population of servers compared to PC, XB and PS4.  Online game such as D2 needs a thriving community.

Just now, replicant said:

That is good to hear, but my concern with games such as Destiny is the low population of servers compared to PC, XB and PS4.  Online game such as D2 needs a thriving community.

I was genuinely surprised that cross play wasn't announced for when Shadowkeep came out/close after it.

53 minutes ago, replicant said:

I'd be interested to hear from Bungie to see if they've made any modifications to the way they host. For example, I'm pretty sure that they have regional servers now for the other platforms but it's conceivable that Google's lower network latency makes this redundant so you end up with a global matchmaking pool. Just guessing, but there's possibilities here. 

In any case, the matchmaking was actually ok yesterday. Maybe 2-3 mins for the first game but each rollover game was quick. The games themselves were fantastic - just super smooth. 

Cross play on Stadia would presumably remove any advantages you would see from having everyone's game effectively running on the same hardware.

4 minutes ago, K said:

Cross play on Stadia would presumably remove any advantages you would see from having everyone's game effectively running on the same hardware.

Yeah, it seems like an advantage of the platform if they can get the player base