rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

5 minutes ago, VN1X said:

This is going to be huge isn't it?

*clutches plastic dedicated videogame box*

It'll be like "the decimation" in Infinity War.

Google snaps it's fingers and the consoles turn to dust. 

Imagine being able to play all current gen third-party stuff for a fiver a month and all you need is a 30 quid controller, a screen, and a net connection.

It won't be for me because I don't play any old shite - but it has the potential to be massive. The masses don't care if something is being streamed or not, the only difference they will see is in their pockets/wallets.

• Upvote 1

Just now, VN1X said:

Stanley confirmed to enter this era kicking and screaming it seems. :P

I've been streaming games on my Vita since last gen, I bought a Sony Z3 just to stream from my PS4. It will never replace playing games on actual hardware and luckily that'll still be around in the next "era" so I'm sure I'll survive.

It'll be interesting to see if Google are any quicker than Amazon in realising their ambitions in gaming, they've got a famous producer to lead their efforts now, but Amazon have so far bought actual developers, a famous game engine and employed some famous people too, yet still have little to actually show for their investments so far.

What has Jade Raymond actually done? She's one of those celebrated producers but doesn't have the goods to back it up IMO. 

Assassin's Creed is the only one of any worth, and that's mainly from a sales POV, it was no masterpiece.

• Upvote 4

It's going to be great for the 80% of the population that don't care, can compensate for or notice lag as much as some on here.

Bring. It. On.

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

It's going to be great for the 80% of the population that don't care, can compensate for or notice lag as much as some on here.

Bring. It. On.

How many people in that bracket who care/don't care is still an unknown quantity, and even if they don't care about lag, do they care about games enough to fork out for a Google console/controller and then continue forking out for a monthly subscription? my guess is probably not.

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

How many people in that bracket who care/don't care is still an unknown quantity, and even if they don't care about lag, do they care about games enough to fork out for a Google console/controller and then continue forking out for a monthly subscription? my guess is probably not.

lag notwithstanding, I think if the subscription is cheap enough then you can balance out the care enough about games side.    If games are your major hobby then you're more willing to pay out more per month.   If you said to a "casual"  £5 a month will get you hundreds of games I think a big chunk would be in on that . Netflix and other similar subscriptions have shown that lots of people like to watch some good stuff but are also happy to consume whatever ends up on the service. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

What has Jade Raymond actually done? She's one of those celebrated producers but doesn't have the goods to back it up IMO. 

Assassin's Creed is the only one of any worth, and that's mainly from a sales POV, it was no masterpiece.

But she's got that smile. :wub:

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

lag notwithstanding, I think if the subscription is cheap enough then you can balance out the care enough about games side.    If games are your major hobby then you're more willing to pay out more per month.   If you said to a "casual"  £5 a month will get you hundreds of games I think a big chunk would be in on that . Netflix and other similar subscriptions have shown that lots of people like to watch some good stuff but are also happy to consume whatever ends up on the service. 

That's it in a nutshell. If games are your hobby or main interest you'll likely try it, but I don't personally think there is this huge untapped market of billions of people willing to pay for a subscription. I think the market for casuals is there but they're happy playing Fortnite for free on their phones or whatever, they're not interested in investing all their time in AAA games.

As for the content itself it will be interesting to see what Google bring with no previous experience in the market - then again you could say the same about MS pre Xbox. 

I'm cautiously pessimistic ;)

If only there was some magazine Nate could recommend with an interview in a back issue, perhaps available in app form.

Apple spent years dragging brilliant creative people on stage who were already working on games or middleware for iOS, without ever really doing anything to make the store a positive place for games development specifically. You hire a producer when you want to make game development happen on your platform.

Oh I'm sure she is talented, but the last thing I know of that she was involved with was the much maligned story mode in Star Wars Battlefront II, and then the other Star Wars game that was scrapped.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

That's it in a nutshell. If games are your hobby or main interest you'll likely try it, but I don't personally think there is this huge untapped market of billions of people willing to pay for a subscription. I think the market for casuals is there but they're happy playing Fortnite for free on their phones or whatever, they're not interested in investing all their time in AAA games.

Ok, so not sure how valid this comparison is but that's akin to saying that not enough people were interested in streaming movies/tv shows and paying a subscription when they could watch free to air channels already. yet here we are with Netflix & Amazon Prime doing well and lot of others like Disney scrambling to join in.   

23 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Ok, so not sure how valid this comparison is but that's akin to saying that not enough people were interested in streaming movies/tv shows and paying a subscription when they could watch free to air channels already. yet here we are with Netflix & Amazon Prime doing well and lot of others like Disney scrambling to join in.   

The concept is sound, Game Pass absolutely will change the industry if it hasn't already, but not just through streaming. I'm interested in seeing what Google bring to the table but I'm not interested in streaming only if that's all they have to offer, and I still don't see any evidence that the market will grow to the size MS expects (billions). I mean not even Fortnite is that big, it's light and casual, and it's free without the need to stream on just about every platform going.

You know maybe I'm wrong maybe there are hundreds of millions of people eager to play Halo or Assassin's Creed if only they didn't need a console, PC etc, but I just don't see it. Either gaming as we know it just continues to devolve into free to start MTX bollocks or it carries on serving roughly the same audiences it always has. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The concept is sound, Game Pass absolutely will change the industry if it hasn't already, but not just through streaming. I'm interested in seeing what Google bring to the table but I'm not interested in streaming only if that's all they have to offer, and I still don't see any evidence that the market will grow to the size MS expects (billions). I mean not even Fortnite is that big, it's light and casual, and it's free without the need to stream on just about every platform going.

You know maybe I'm wrong maybe there are hundreds of millions of people eager to play Halo or Assassin's Creed if only they didn't need a console, PC etc, but I just don't see it. Either gaming as we know it just continues to devolve into free to start MTX bollocks or it carries on serving roughly the same audiences it always has. 

I think the lower the barrier to entry, the bigger the potential market.  Previously you needed a console. Now you can play games on your phone/tablet and the the number of players has shot up.    Streaming carries that on and MIGHT mean that you can start to get gaming on lower spec hardware. If we no longer need to upgrade the client side then maaaybe we might get people willing to try gaming out a bit more.  Maybe.

7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I think the lower the barrier to entry, the bigger the potential market.  Previously you needed a console. Now you can play games on your phone/tablet and the the number of players has shot up.    Streaming carries that on and MIGHT mean that you can start to get gaming on lower spec hardware. If we no longer need to upgrade the client side then maaaybe we might get people willing to try gaming out a bit more.  Maybe.

I just think that hardware, all hardware, will continue getting more and more powerful to the point that by the time broadband is lightning fast everywhere, stable even if you're down a storm drain, and costs buttons, that it just won't be necessary.

Talking of that, people getting this for their mobile devices now who have no concept of how it really works will just expect to play their games anywhere at anytime, but there are quite a few obstacles in the way of that happening.

During the Xcloud presentation the presenter said she looks forward to playing Forza on her phone on the London Underground. Really?

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I just think that hardware, all hardware, will continue getting more and more powerful to the point that by the time broadband is lightning fast everywhere, stable even if you're down a storm drain, and costs buttons, that it just won't be necessary.

Talking of that, people getting this for their mobile devices now who have no concept of how it really works will just expect to play their games anywhere at anytime, but there are quite a few obstacles in the way of that happening.

During the Xcloud presentation the presenter said she looks forward to playing Forza on her phone on the London Underground. Really?

:D.   I'm sure you can get wifi on the underground. At least I'm sure I have when in zone 1 and 2.   

Surely that simplicity argument the same as people trying to stream Netflix in places they can't get reception?

6 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

:D.   I'm sure you can get wifi on the underground. At least I'm sure I have when in zone 1 and 2.   

Surely that simplicity argument the same as people trying to stream Netflix in places they can't get reception?

I guess you must or she wouldn't have used that specific example.

I just don't see AAA gaming having as wide a market as movies and TV, even Netflix only has 140 million subscribers and that's been going 10 years. God knows where they get this figure of billions from.

No way the Wi-Fi in the tube is uncongested or reliable enough to play Forza as a streamed game. It only works in the stations themselves, for one. What do you do between stations? You could buffer up a bit of Netflix, maybe, (I do manage to keep a streamed podcast alive using tube Wi-Fi.) It's not realistic, unless the game is running at least partly locally.

The other major sticking point is just raw finances. Red Dead Redemption 2 has so far sold 23 million copies in less than 6 months, how many subscribers would be needed over what period to get anywhere near that income, for a $60 game?