rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

- Currently, "the phone is needed for initial setup and buying games." Buying games through a Chromecast Ultra or the Web is not supported, and the AMA gave no indication if or when it would be added.

- As previously discussed, mobile support will be limited to Google Pixel phones and ChromeOS tablets at launch. A timeline for general iOS and Android support is still to be determined, but Pixel will likely be the only mobile support "this year," according to the AMA. Google says it "want Stadia to run on every screen eventually."

Am I reading this correctly? You can only buy games on a Pixel phone and Chrome OS?

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

When this drops in a few days, the shit is really going to hit the fan with people who are not aware of this limitation.

After Microsoft's announcement yesterday this has the stench of panic releasing. Google must have known they could only compete if they were out first but it looks like they've proper fucked it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I had no idea it wasn’t like Fire or Apple TV etc. So am I right in thinking it doesn’t have a front end at all then, and you have to launch games from an app on your phone or tablet?

Yeah that's how it works for video and it seems it will be effectively the same for stadia. I think you'll be able to speak into the controller or something like that to do it too (might be one of the many features not available at launch). 

Am I reading this correctly? You can only buy games on a Pixel phone and Chrome OS?

Not quite, I think you can buy them on other android phones (and iOS?). But you won't be able to play them on them at launch, you'll need a Chromecast. 

They've done a terrible job of telling people what this is, I saw so many people in Jim Sterling's comments who didn't realise you have to buy the games and it's not a Netflix/Game Pass type of thing and were stunned to find this out. If people who are into video games enough to be watching Sterling on YouTube are confused - he's not exactly a mainstream personality who appeals to casual players - what chance have normal people got?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m not following it that closely, just in here, but I’m surprised that days away from launch we don’t know how much anything costs. 

Given everything else they've managed to miscommunicate/not bother communicating are you really, Stanley? REALLY?

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Not quite, I think you can buy them on other android phones (and iOS?). But you won't be able to play them on them at launch, you'll need a Chromecast. 

OK, that makes a little more sense. Still very clunky of course.

14 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Given everything else they've managed to miscommunicate/not bother communicating are you really, Stanley? REALLY?

Fair play ;) I’ve done a search and there’s literally no details, some reckon some of those launch games might form part of the Pro sub but no one is sure. 

6 hours ago, deerokus said:

I saw so many people in Jim Sterling's comments who didn't realise you have to buy the games and it's not a Netflix/Game Pass type of thing and were stunned to find this out.

I knew that most newer games had to be bought, but I thought they were copying PS+ in giving away a growing library, starting with those announced. RDR2 would've been good for a freebie, but I took that as a sweetener given the downsides of streaming and annual cost.

5 hours ago, Flub said:

If you're able to buy your games via an iOS mobile app won't Apple be wanting their 30% cut? I can't see that happening.

I have feeling there's room for negotiation on that cut for larger app developers.

1 minute ago, Hass said:

I have feeling there's room for negotiation on that cut for larger app developers.

When that developer is creating a competing product to their own (Apple Arcade)?

43 minutes ago, deKay said:

When that developer is creating a competing product to their own (Apple Arcade)?

Dunno but this area is an anti-competition minefield.

31 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Maybe on that case it directs you towards a website to purchase?  Not at launch though, obviously. 

Apple certainly stopped Amazon doing exactly that.

Cancelled my pre-order as well. Ordered it on a whim without properly reading up on it, and hoping stuff like Train Simulator would come to it. Foolishly, I assumed the monthly payments covered the games listed for launch as well. Too much of a gamble at this point.

I love the idea that these people can’t figure out how to post you something so it arrives on a specific day or make a controller work as advertised, but we’re supposed to have faith that they’re the ones that have cracked the streaming conundrum and “negative latency” is going to be a thing. 

• Upvote 3

I thought this was a game service like Netflix too. Wow.

So this is £120 for a controller and a Chromecast + Destiny 2?

If this is going to be free next year, and currently doesn't work as it should, what's the point in going with it now.

It's surprising Google didn't push back the launch.

8 minutes ago, Hamus said:

So this is £120 for a controller and a Chromecast + Destiny 2?

You get free access to their 1080p60 streaming service too. (4K60 in 5.1 audio requires subscription.) 

You have to buy the games. Ubisoft's UPlay Plus subscription deal will let you play their games on Stadia (in 1080p60).

It's more like Steam than Netflix where you buy games and can play them without a sub. The main difference is that you don't need a machine capable of running locally anymore. The sub gives you 4k, HDR 5.1 streams (no sub is limited to 1080p stereo) and a free game which rotates on some unspecified time period. 

There’s a couple of videos on YouTube now of people unboxing the Controller, along with a Chromecast & Pixel 3, that Google have sent them.

I can’t help but feel that’s rather pointless.  I want reports on the service, not the devices, as that’s what Stadia will live & die on.

1 hour ago, Hass said:

It's more like Steam than Netflix where you buy games and can play them without a sub. The main difference is that you don't need a machine capable of running locally anymore. The sub gives you 4k, HDR 5.1 streams (no sub is limited to 1080p stereo) and a free game which rotates on some unspecified time period. 

I want to see a Venn diagram of people who are “early adopter hardcore gamers following all the latest tech news” and “people who don’t own a PS4, Xbox One or high-spec PC but have invested in a 4K TV and fibre internet”.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I want to see a Venn diagram of people who are “early adopter hardcore gamers following all the latest tech news” and “people who don’t own a PS4, Xbox One or high-spec PC but have invested in a 4K TV and fibre internet”.

And also are interested enough in modern games to want to play AC Odyssey and Tomb Raider, but haven't yet. 

• Upvote 1