rllmuk
footle

Google Stadia

17 hours ago, footle said:

is it? When they go properly live and have to ad-support f2p games using their hardware, the revenue model would quickly become problematic.

Would it? Not sure I follow - why would F2P games be problematic? 

1 hour ago, K said:

Would it? Not sure I follow - why would F2P games be problematic? 

I guess because you're using their infrastructure but not paying them anything apart from the initial outlay? The hardware you use is presumably paid for by you buying the games you're playing. Though I guess Google should make a cut of any microtransactions. No idea how this works for stuff like Fortnite on XBL or PSN to be honest.

21 minutes ago, Pob said:

I guess because you're using their infrastructure but not paying them anything apart from the initial outlay? The hardware you use is presumably paid for by you buying the games you're playing. Though I guess Google should make a cut of any microtransactions. No idea how this works for stuff like Fortnite on XBL or PSN to be honest.

Doesn't that apply to any games you play on the free tier though? If it's too expensive to let players use the service without subscribing, Google might need to restrict F2P games to subscribers, but that doesn't sound like an insurmountable obstacle. They've allowed Destiny 2 on there.

11 minutes ago, K said:

Doesn't that apply to any games you play on the free tier though? If it's too expensive to let players use the service without subscribing, Google might need to restrict F2P games to subscribers, but that doesn't sound like an insurmountable obstacle. They've allowed Destiny 2 on there.

Probably. I shouldn't have replied to your question TBH because I don't even understand the Stadia proposition let alone the revenue model!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

Probably. I shouldn't have replied to your question TBH because I don't even understand the Stadia proposition let alone the revenue model!

From the sound of it neither do Google lol

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, K said:

They've allowed Destiny 2 on there.

For subscribers, I think?

I can see how with the subscription model it'd work, sure.

Why would they ad support F2P games? Xbox, PlayStation and Apple take a chunk of every purchase you make in Fortnite, for example. I don't see why it would be different on Stadia.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Why would they ad support F2P games? Xbox, PlayStation and Apple take a chunk of every purchase you make in Fortnite, for example. I don't see why it would be different on Stadia.

I guess the cost per player to Google is much higher than the cost to Apple, Sony or Microsoft for every player on their systems, because the consumer pays for the hardware on those models. So Google have to recover this through the subs fee and/or through a portion of every game sold on Stadia. So I guess a true F2P model might not work, as players of Fortnite on the free tier will cost Google a fair bit of resource without necessarily giving anything back - much more so than on, say, iOS. But I don’t see why making F2P games subscription-only wouldn’t work. 

15 minutes ago, K said:

I guess the cost per player to Google is much higher than the cost to Apple, Sony or Microsoft for every player on their systems, because the consumer pays for the hardware on those models. So Google have to recover this through the subs fee and/or through a portion of every game sold on Stadia. So I guess a true F2P model might not work, as players of Fortnite on the free tier will cost Google a fair bit of resource without necessarily giving anything back - much more so than on, say, iOS. But I don’t see why making F2P games subscription-only wouldn’t work. 

It’s not a great selling point though as it’s not free to play, really. Maybe they could just take a higher percentage from Epic for their efforts. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

It’s not a great selling point though as it’s not free to play, really. Maybe they could just take a higher percentage from Epic for their efforts. 

It's not that different to the situation on consoles. IIRC, you don't need a PS+ subscription to play Fortnite on PS4, but you do need  Live Gold to play it on Xbox. It would be about as F2P as most other console games, in that you'll probably need to subscribe to that service to actually play it.

Yeah I suppose so, I forgot about Xbox still requiring Gold, good call. 

It does speak to the problem inherent with streaming services like Stadia though; with consoles the cost of the hardware is passed on to the customer freeing up resources elsewhere - a luxury they just won’t have. A couple of big releases like COD and Assassins Creed mixed with all the millions playing Fortnite etc. would surely be a massive drain on their available hardware. 

I'm supposed to be getting a full fibre connection from one of the rural indies soon, so if I'm ever going to be ready for gamestreaming it'll be then. The problem is that the next consoles are coming soon, and they'll offer those of us without gaming PCs the jump that comprises the main appeal of streaming right now. I'd buy a console just for fighting games and stream most others for the right price, but I won't need to stream anything if that console's a PS5. The remaining advantage is being able to play on old laptops and tablets, etc.

I've also no plans to ditch my 1080p monitor, and hope that next-gen games have 1080/60 modes alongside their inevitable 4K/30s. Or 1080/120 if 4K/60.

• Empathy 1

Late to the thread, having seen the first announcement a while ago and reading up for the first time today. 

I no longer understand what this is.  You have to buy the games and also subscribe? You can play on any device but your iOS or existing Chromecast won't work?  

My inner monologue goes all Barry Burton as I wonder, "What is it?"

4 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Why are they launching something that's clearly not ready for launch?

Is this just how it's done in 'proper' computing?

Possibly some fiscal year BS. 

18 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Well its the norm in "computing games" these days.

• Upvote 1

Cancelled my order this morning. The whole tech around it in general interests me but this is looking so half baked its unreal.

Just bought some LEGO instead.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

I've noticed that Sony have started advertising Playstation Now a lot more, and there's been a fair bit of press about Xcloud as well - maybe Google just want to get it out there before Sony and Microsoft get too much of a head start. Although the wisdom of that strategy seems unclear, given that they seem to have stripped out almost all of the actual features of the service.

I wonder if MS and Sony will put the wifi / ethernet gubbins into their new controllers to steal the 'client device' idea from Stadia. Seems like a neat trick to reduce latency.

Sounds like they're concerned about demand because they've given themselves total control over maximum demand under the initial rollout. 

• Upvote 1